1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theories of sexuality or model of sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, May 15, 2013.

?

What do you believe in regarding to sexuality?

1. I believe that everyone is born that way

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  2. I believe that epigenetic explains why

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I believe that changes of sexuality can occur

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  4. I believe that it depends on a lot on each cases

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. I believe that there will be no conclusive proof of causes to sexuality

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  6. I believe that multiple variables play into account

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  7. I believe that there is only one variable that plays into account

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I believe that it depends on perspectives and meaning

6 vote(s)
    17.6%
  9. Other

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Reptillian

What is exactly your theory or model of sexuality? I have a theory that variables that makes one or less into a sexuality do not make for a deterministic effect. My theory does not support the idea that you are born this way, but it also doesn't support the idea that you chose your sexuality. Instead, it supports the idea that your sexuality is derived from probability of you becoming X or Y from the combined variables. So, you could have all the variables that can make you a homosexual assuming that it can be shown that you have all the correlative conditions, and still be a heterosexual. Under my model, sexuality can shift over time as the inclined does not imply always will be this way.

2. Fiddledeedee

... I just ticked all but two options on the poll.

Multiple factors. Genetics, epigenetics, other stuff. Depending on perspective, some choice, too. Changes, possibly, though not through current reparative therapy. To say we will never have conclusive proof sounds awfully final, although we don't have conclusive proof of what does cause it (though we know some of what doesn't) now.

3. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    sexuality is a social/culural construct

4. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, almost everyone.

It's a plausible theory at least, though I'd need more evidence to properly judge it's validity. (Plus it's a pretty vague theory - epigenetics does a lot of different things.)

Well, most of us change from asexual to straight, gay or bi when we enter puberty. :icon_bigg

But aside from that, I've read a couple of case studies of brain injuries prompting a change in sexuality. One guy became a pedophile due to a brain tumor, and when the tumor was removed, he stopped being attracted to kids. When his attractions came back, he went back to the doctor and they found that the tumor had grown back, so they removed it again. (Incidentally, this guy is incredibly lucky that he got diagnosed at all, when the first reaction was to put him in jail instead of figuring out what was wrong with him. I really think we should change how we deal with pedophiles, treat them as sick instead of evil.)

Complex behavioral traits never seem to have one simple explanation. Why would sexuality?

I ticked this specifically regarding romantic orientation. Whereas I think sexual orientation is pretty hard-wired, the evidence I've seen suggests that romantic orientation is a lot more malleable. Firstly, it seems like there's a subset of people who go through a homosexual heteroromantic phase, and then become homoromantic once they accept their sexuality. Secondly, if you're asexual the dividing line between a friend and a romantic partner can be pretty blurry, and often seems to depend on your conception of friendship. (Some people insist that a romantic partner is closer than a friend, others say that a best friend can be just as close if not closer than a romantic partner.) And lastly, avoidant/dismissing attachment style seems like it could cause you to be aromantic, because avoidant/dismissing attachment is all about avoiding emotional bonds and convincing yourself you don't need them.

Oh, and the distinctions between the different subtypes of multisexual (bisexual, pansexual, etc) seem to depend strongly on how you choose to define them. I've heard people describe the exact same pattern of sexual orientation as bisexual or pansexual depending on their exposure to the terms and their conception of what the terms mean. The feelings themselves are a lot less malleable than the words used to describe them, however.

5. Eatthechildren

yesssssssssssssss

6. BlueBear

I think if there is an extremely dominate gender of a parent that is a factor in how sexuality of a child is formed. Such as a mother who hates man but it comes out as women are more important than men. A male child may subconsciously see himself as flawed for not being a woman but consciously this may come out as hate for women. You could get a gay man, or someone who wants to change genders, or someone who is sexually attracted to women who hate men or are masculine or both as happened in my family.

7. say what

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are differnt factors for sexuality. Some people are born with it, and sompeople's chane throughout life. But, why is it so varied? Who knows?