1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the way you dressed influenced by the fact you're gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, May 16, 2013.

1. AlamoCity

Let me clarify. I don't mean LGBT people dress a certain way because they are LGBT; rather, do you make a conscious decision to dress a certain way (either to hide or promote the fact you're gay)?

I used to dress up "professionally" as a child because my parents dressed me that way, which was the way their parents dressed them. I would wear polos, oxfords, khaki pants and shorts, penny loafers etc. In middle school, some kids would say I dressed "gay" because this was an inner-city school (magnet program, close to my parents' work, long story) and most of these kids dressed gangsta/thug/saggin' pants. Because of this, I changed the way I dressed to a more Western style of clothing (e.g. pearl snap shirts, blue jeans, cowboy boots). I think I did this because I thought my classmates associated "professional" clothing with being gay. When I got to high school and college, "prep" was very popular so I changed my wardrobe back to the way my parents dressed me in my childhood because it felt comfortable and no one would say I was "gay." I still dress this way and I really like it (though I still alternate between this and "Western" clothing for when I do manual labor around the house).

I realize that most classmates didn't suspect I was gay (most people I tell are surprised to know I'm gay) and just used the word as an insult for being different. However, because I was deathly afraid of being "outed," I changed the way I dressed. Now, I feel stupid for doing so.

Anyone else changed the way they dressed just so that they wouldn't come across as "gay?"

2. letitgo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No. I basically wear jeans and t-shirts. I'm not into fashion so I don't really care much.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never thought about the way I dressed. The only thing I do differently now that I'm out is that I will wear women's sweatpants some days because I like the way they feel. Other than that, I dress pretty /normal/

4. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^

5. Mogget

I didn't get the fashion gene in my gay, so no. I can barely manage to remember rules like "don't wear navy blue and black together."

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Navy blue and black don't go together? I always thought black went with anything. Ah well, my fashion sense is not that great, either. XD

7. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, I don't really care as long what I am wearing is clean and not faded or what ever.

8. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I've always liked how I look in ties (mine are girly and have teddy bears and butterflies and crap xD), and people say I can get away with the look, but I feel so self conscious if I try to wear them out in public. :dry:

I still love fedoras, which I think men mostly wear, but I wear a purple one comfortably without fear of judgment cuz I'm pretty sure all hats are gender neutral... right...?

9. kem

kem

Well, yeah. Coming out gave me a lot of confidence to be myself and although I still have my insecurities about my appearance I feel like it's okay to wear what I like now and I don't have to be afraid of somebody finding out I'm gay.

10. AlamoCity

Haha. I actually don't think I inherited the fashion gene either. I look put together because, well, khaki pants look good on any polo or oxford shirt. I don't even have to think about what to wear. Some may call this a fashion gene but I could never dress "fashionably" in the latest trends. I like what I wear because I can wear it for the next ten years and it won't be "outdated." If there's one thing I could never keep up with, it's what's "in" and what's "out." Where do you even go to see what's fashionable this season?

11. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Well if wearing make-up and dresses count in order to try and pretend I'm a femme woman, then yes. :wink:

12. EddyG

turns out yeah. I'd been wearing just jeans and tshirts, now I'm thinking that I might want to wear things a bit more dressed up than that. Plus I just went through my closet and got rid of a bunch of stuff that is now too big for me -- I've dropped 30 pounds over the past few years, but I'd still wear the oversize stuff sometimes. Now I'm realizing I want stuff a bit more fitted. I'm still basically a jeans and tshirt guy but am realizing now that I have a life beyond the "straight husband" role I've been in so long that I want to also look good.

13. Hitch

nope, i still give everything the smell test before i put it on.

14. LuckyScrubs

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm always more of comfortable over style person, so I'm staying away from anything that says skinny, not because it might come as gay (then again everyone is wearing skinny now). I'm a simple person who prefer polos and shirts with jeans and shorts to match. I usually pick up whatever clothes I feel to wear that day, not gonna spend time being choosy unless it's special occasions.

15. BudderMC

It has, in a way. I don't dress to advertise/not advertise that I am/am not gay.

I do, however, dress in things that I've seen other guys look really good in. I know straight people can do this too, but I'm sure there's an attraction component in there for me. It still has to be something I'd realistically look good in though.

16. Hefiel

It hasn't influenced my choice of clothing *yet*, but that's because I haven't purchased anything in a while either.

If anything, my current "fashion" is an evolution of something I picked up from one of my first girl crush about...8-10 years ago. She wasn't gothic, but wore clothes in the darker tones and I thought she was really cool, so I picked up on it.

17. Candace

No not at all. I'm just conscience of the fact that I want to look presentable (and not like a hobo) and that it's becoming really hot outside.

18. Niko

No. I wear men's clothes all the time and I don't care what people think. I'm comfortable and that's all that matters. The only thing I'm conscious of is if I look presentable really. I don't like overly baggy clothes, it just doesn't feel right to me.

19. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I deliberately avoid anything that's low-cut or exposes a lot of skin. But that's more due to being a sexual abuse survivor than being asexual.

20. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sexuality doesn't really influence my fashion choices, but I do dress really feminine even when I'm presenting as a male. I like coordinating my outfits, I think it's fun. :grin: