1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The name issue.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlmightyFluffy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. AlmightyFluffy

So, here's a question to test your tastebuds.
    Would you consider being in a relationship with someone who happens to have the same name as one of your siblings or parents? I know it's an odd question, but I'm pretty sure that I would feel kind of akward datin' a guy who's name alone gives me images of my dad while I'm kissing him.

Does anyone else agree, or am I just crazy?

2. davo-man

Hehe, my initial reaction was that it would be fine with me, but then i thought of screaming out my Dad's name (which is old-school, like Edward, Brenton, Richard type) and that made me laugh and cringe at the same time...So it wouldn't strike out a relationship with a person of the same name as my dad, but it would be a little bit awkward at some points as well

3. smilealways

smilealways Guest

lol I think I would agree.

4. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

Well, considering my siblings are all females, I don't have to worry about that. But, it would be awkward if my boyfriend would have the same name as my step-dad (I mean seriously, the two of us don't even get along so well...)

But I would probably get used to it.

A thought: What if the guy or girl you like has the same name as you? Would your opinions be altered in some way or not? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Orion

Hahaha yeah... at first I thought it would be no problem but then I started getting some mental images. For example, I'm thinking it would be pretty awkward in bed, calling out for his name :S mental images flood! Ew

So that would make... no immediate family names! Plzkthx! Haha or I would at least avoid them.

6. Kat22

I can do one better. My girlfriend and I have the same first name. Spelled the same and everything!

7. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Excuse me for your question but.... you ever have images of having intimate time with yourself?! *MENTAL IMAGE WARNING ::: MUST :: RESIST*

epic fail from my side.
    And your's?

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well the relatives I grew up with were my mother, my sister, and my father, so really only one of those names is a potential issue and since I think of my father as "dad" and not by his first name, I don't think it would be an issue for me at all. Even if I were straight, my sister's name is pretty unusual so it wouldn't be an issue.

9. Micah

I was saw a guy with the saw name as my brother....It actually didn't even click until about 4 weeks after..

So no - no issue for me ;p

10. awesomeap88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    my sister is in this situation. her husband has the same name as my one of my brothers. i dont think she has any problem with it at all. we all just abbreviate my brother's name to tell the difference between the two. this has been the case for so long that my sister has said that she doesnt even know who people are talking about when people call our brother by his actual name.

as for me going out with someone the same name as one of my siblings or my dad, i would probably think at first something like "what a coincidence" or "how odd", but then it would just become normal.

11. Nibbles

Nibbles Guest

I, ermmm, pulled a guy with the same first name as me. It was funny when he asked my name and did a double take :roflmao:

It was mostly just a bit weird referring to him to others using my name, but anyway that doesn't really matter anymore, he ultimately decided he wasn't interested in me :icon_sad:

#11 Nibbles, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  12. Bevo

Bevo Guest

names really aren't an issue for me as my name and my family's names are quite common and when someone has a name that is the same as someone in my family's i wouldn't immediately associate them with that sibling.

So no i wouldn't feel awkward

13. Tim

Tim

Considering all I have are sisters, Kimberly and Stephanie... If there's a guy with that name, I'd be too scared to date him XD

My dad's name was Glenn, which isn't common anymore, we all just called him Teddy though, which seems to be a common nickname now :confused:

I had a brother w/ a very common name... but he died a year before I was born, so it wouldn't impact me ^^;

14. nickmc

I guess it depends if you still live at home or not. If you see your sibling/dad/whatever every day then it could be weird but if you don't then I don't think it would be an issue.

Too be honest, I don't think it would bother me that much other than it being a bit confusing. If I ever got a boyfriend (and it was like this) and he stuck around, I'd just make up a nickname and call him that :grin:

15. Alexander

I would have no problems with it whatsoever. It would be especially cool if they had the same name as me :grin:

16. JSG

JSG Guest

I'll never be able to date a guy with my name, but I'd love to !
    My bf is called Tim, ike my cousin, but I've never met my cousin so it's not really awkward.

17. simon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it wouldn't be an issue for me

18. haha um now that you've mentioned it i might...
    haha way to go :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: