1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dalai Lama Quotes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dublin Boy, May 17, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do you know any Dalai Lama Quotes?

Here are a few (*hug*)

We can never obtain peace in the outer world until we make peace with ourselves.

Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.

This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

2. Hefiel

Will start with four that I like.

"Sleep is the best meditation."

"Sometimes one creates a dynamic impression by saying something, and sometimes one creates as significant an impression by remaining silent."

"We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection."

"Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace."

Definitively saving that last one.

3. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

This was on an atheist blog, entitled, "Why atheists leave Buddhists alone"

[​IMG]

#3 stuffiscool, May 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2013
  4. Mogget

The Dalai Lama has also said some relatively homophobic stuff:

That said, such quotes should be seen in light of his generally sex-negative philosophy:

(Source)

One problem with Buddhism is that it lends itself well to pithy aphorisms, but the actual philosophy of Buddhism, including the philosophy of the Dalai Lama, isn't pithy aphorisms. It's a very complex understanding of the world. It's not that quotes are taken out of context, it's that the quotes never fully reveal the true understanding of the teaching. Which is why a lot of teachers in Buddhism prefer to remain silent.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    His Holiness has addressed the issues associated with gay sex multiple times and has always shown compassion, kindness, and acceptance toward gay couples. He's talked about how sex isn't just procreative, but also something done in pursuit of pleasure. In the same source article above, His Holiness also acknowledged the inconsistency:

Also, keep in mind that the quotes you're citing were made 20 years ago, at a time when attitudes toward homosexuality were a lot less tolerant than they are now.

In having heard His Holiness speak in person several times, and heard him address the issue in questions from the audience, I've never heard him express anything other than non judgment, compassion, kindness, and a very "live and let live" attitude.

Also, with respect to the large image posted above, I remember that quote at the time he said it, but he also followed it up, with a smile and a twinkle in his eye, by saying something to the effect of "But we Buddhists have a remarkable way of managing to find ways in which our teachings can be made consistent with science, so I'm not too worried about it." Which puts a little different spin on the quote.

6. Mogget

Chip, I think it was "It will be very hard to disprove reincarnation," but I'm not sure.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :wow: you have heard him in person :thumbsup: I am impresed :eusa_clap I would love to have listened to him in person :icon_bigg

8. Rose27

Rose27 Guest

The core teachings of Buddhism are very very simple: Truth. Compassion. What is complex is how we see those things as they apply to ourselves and the world around us.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He still, as far as I know, travels around the world and gives public lectures and teachings, so you may yet be able to see him in person. I've seen him 3 times. The first was a three-day program of Buddhist teachings he gave in Madison, WI. The second was a five-day Kalachakra ceremony and teachings at his brother's Buddhist monastary in Indiana, and the third was a lecture in northern CA. He used to do a lot of his lectures in English, but for the more complicated stuff he teaches in Tibetan, and his translator (who he's worked with for 20+ years) provides the English translation... and sometime he will break in, in English, to clarify.

While he absolutely denies it, there's something special and magical about being in his presence. He really just exudes kindness and compassion and joy. And he's very human; he acknowledges that he gets angry and feels other emotions... but he's able to let them go quickly and get back to the state of joy and happiness that everyone who's spent any time around him sees.