1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Former LGBTQ supporters turned bigots

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stuffiscool, May 18, 2013.

1. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Have you known of anyone who used to support LGBTQs but turned against us later?

Alternatively, do you know of anyone who used to identify as LGBTQ but went back to cishet and became anti-LGBTQ?

Do these kind of testimonies concern you? Since bigots could easily use them as proof that LGBTQs are messed up.

(cishet = cisgendered heterosexual)

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

There was this one woman, who wrote for Venus magazine, who was once an open lesbian writer but "found God" and became a huge proponant of pray the gay away therapy. I'll post a link when I find it, for y'all's reading pleasure. :wink:

--

Found it. Enjoy the bull-crappery of the Christian Right!
    http://www.venusmagazine.org/cover_story.html

#2 drwinchester, May 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2013
  3. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

That sounds disgusting. The converters, that is.

4. Convoy

Like half of my extended family decided to become 'born again' Christians and renew their life, basically condemning everyone else (Even though they're far from innocent).

They weren't bad before but now, whatever they can all go and stress-themselves to death.

They don't really concern me because they're not a part of my life and won't be anytime in the future. There are @r$h***'s in every community and you just have to do your best to place yourself away from them and do things that are good for yourself; don't listen to the haters.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've known several 'bisexual' women who pretended to be supportive of LGBT issues, but later showed their true colors and made it clear they wanted nothing to do with 'fags'. One even identified as lesbian, was dating a trans man, and has been in the same abusive relationship for years, sometimes saying how she'd like to 'go back' to being a lesbian, since men are too much trouble...

6. Femmeme

Yes, a friend of mine just a couple of years ago.

"Shane" had been out and proud for a good 20 years when this happened. He was having a really hard time and a predatory "minister" that hung out in his therapist parking lot got him under his spell and convinced him that being gay was evil and the cause of all his problems.

After about a month of attending and being brainwashed by this "church" he announced that he was no longer gay and had turned to Christ.

Then a week later he stabbed his dog to death and tried to murder one of his friends. They found a list of "sinners" that he had intended to kill, the list was people who had been his closest friends before the "minister" had got to him.

Shane went to a high security mental institution and the "church" disappeared... probably just moved on to another town to prey on other at risk people.

My heart is still completely broken from this incident... the worst part of it was realizing that despite being out and seemly comfortable with who he was my friend must have been living with horrible internalized homophobia and self loathing all those years, thinking about it still makes me cry. It was one of the things that made me really face myself and start the journey of self acceptance.

7. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

:frowning2: (*hug*)

8. Pain

Pain Guest

Yeah, read my last blog for info, I don't feel like explaining again.