1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to tell if someone is gay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Perseus, May 19, 2013.

1. Perseus

I haven't ever met anyone who's gay... How do you guys find others? Specially when they are not open about it and when you are in the closet? Is there any symbol or thing you can bring around to show that you're gay, but in a way that only gays know and straights don't? :slight_smile:

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I could think of is the Gay Handkerchief Code, but that's for if you're looking for sex, for the most part. I'm not sure if there's one for if you're just looking to meet people or not. Anyways, if you want to look at it, here's a link.

Gay Hanky Codes

3. evora

Intuition. Sometimes I just know, or think I know but that's enough to make me feel better.:slight_smile: Like when I see someone and instantly get this feeling that they are gay, I think 'what are the chances, statistically?'... It might not be completely foolproof but this is the only method I have. And I'm sure I can't tell about all the gay people but I'm almost certain that about the ones I can, I'm right.

4. Perseus

Thanks... :slight_smile:

But I don't think I'm ready for sex or anything like that at my age... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. evora

I'd like to add to my first post something because that might not be much help to you. I've read lots of people say it's the way they look at you, or something like that. So apparently, it's all about the eyes.:icon_bigg

6. Perseus

Okay, thanks Evora :slight_smile:

7. ReyJ

In my experience, albeit rather limited, you can tell by looking at eyes. When 2 gay people look at each other there is a kind of acknowledgement that both are gay- it is very hard to describe, but you know it when it has happened. Then you also have the tendency to look around at EVERY person in the room- this is especially true with most of the gay people I have ever met.

Another, really bizarre, one that I have heard is gay people have a tendency to shift their weight onto 1 leg, so one leg is behind the other when standing up. Motherhood true this is, but I do it and my dad, granddad, stepdad and most other people I'm sure are straight don't, so there may be something there.

You also have the super obvious signs like :
    - rainbow bracelets (don't look at me like that, I did say obvious!)
    -getting uncomfortable when people use LGBT slurs (of course could just be a nice guy)
    -flitting eyes in locker room- I get very uncomfortable around seminaked guys (again there are other reasons this could be happening)

My advice is to recognise the things you do, especially the things you do to remain in the closet, and look for similar things in other people. Unfortunately none of these are 100%, but I think once they start getting past exhibiting a few of these signs, it is very likely.

8. Perseus

Thanks a lot! :slight_smile: I think I'll try noticing these things... Really helped

But actually I do quite a few of these things :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. DanD

The only thing that springs to mind is their voice. A percentage of gay males will talk with a higher pitched voice, but I think most don't.

I've heard someone say, 'they just recognize their own', when talking about gay people. I see people all the time, who I hope are gay, but it ALWAYS turns out that they're straight :frowning2:

Gay people and straight people all act like people act, and the voice is the only tell-tale thing I can think of. Best of luck!

DD

10. ReyJ

Had to change it- motherhood made absolutely no sense! Autocorrect is not my friend!

I also thought of another one to do with eyes. Basically follow where they go, if it is focused on another guy's :***: you can be pretty sure he is not entirely straight (!):eusa_danc(!) It really is as simple as looking for the blatantly obvious things people won't see unless they are looking for them, unless you have a crush on the guy and then gaydar, mine anyway, goes loopy and sees things that may not actually be happening- which REALLY sucks.

#10 ReyJ, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  11. Perseus

12. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

I don't think there really is a way to tell. Sometimes you can tell by where there eyes wander but that's it.

13. theMaverick

I don't know. Sometimes you just know, other times you don't.

I have nothing else appropriate to add....

14. MixedNutz

Other then bargaining on stereotypes...

Eye contact (gay guys will stare at you like a deer in headlights)
    Ring in the thumb
    Ring on the pointer
    Observe how they interact the opposite sex
    Observe how they react to the gay subject
    Look at their friends

15. theMaverick

I purposely avoid making eye contact with guys. Just saying.

16. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

The first one only works if you're super hot.

17. theMaverick

That's really not true. I've had gay guys stare me down and flirt with me and I'm not super hot. Some people don't care about looks.:tantrum::bang:

18. hkboy93

I have this blueish bracelet that I wear

19. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    actions and fashion i think? but definitely not accurate all the time. some straight act fem