1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: How often do you encounter homophobia?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by amoore658, May 19, 2013.

?

Do you encounter homophobia?

1. Frequently

13 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. Often

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Moderate

17 vote(s)
    21.5%
  4. Not often

23 vote(s)
    29.1%
  5. Rarely-never

11 vote(s)
    13.9%
  1. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm curious as to what everyone thinks of the current situation with regards to homophobia. Personally, I haven't really come across it anymore... I'd say I rarely-never experience it.

Just wondering what everyone else thinks?

Also feel free to post any comments on the issue!

#1 amoore658, May 19, 2013
    Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not directly at myself, because I am in the Closet mainly, but I do hear Homophobic comments, my neighbor, who I haven't since he was arrested, for attacking a young Gay Neighbor during a dispute, would waked past his door & shout "Queer B:***:

I heard a group of Straight Guys, who had followed some Straight Girls into a Gay Pub, sitting at a table telling each other Gay Jokes & saying to each other when one of them went into the restroom "to watch yourself" these are some examples, I have heard others!

3. Hefiel

I've never really encountered much homophobia around here. Montreal has had a very popular gay area for about 30 years, so the community here has been relatively open and accepting of homosexuality. Which isn't to say that there is no homophobia however, but I could probably count on my hands the number of times I've personally seen any.

4. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not much, but I occasionally hear the word "fag/faggot", "gay" or "queer" directed at other people at my school. Whenever the people aren't saying that though, many of then have said they're "okay with gay people." Which sort of angers me. If you're okay with us, you shouldn't be saying that stuff at all. So the next time someone says it, I'm stepping in.

5. amoore658

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @Dublin Boy
    Yeah I suppose I have heard things similar to the latter... But have you seen "the Lad Bible" on Facebook? It's probably the most homophobic/misogynistic thing I've seen..

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, not seen that, will have to check it out :slight_smile:

7. Goodnyte

I encounter it mainly in school when the issue of gay marriage comes up in class. It causes a huge uproar and the room in divided into two side. Left side = Pro, Right Side = Anti. The Anti's often yell hateful words and such and spouting all about the bible and God and stuff. The issue comes up nearly everyday.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they use Leviticus 18:22 as an example, ask them if they eat shellfish, undercooked meat, or wear clothes made of two fabrics. If they answered yes to any of these three questions, it means one of two things, 1) They are ignorant, because they do not know what the bible actually says, or 2) They like to pick and choose what they follow and do not follow, making them a hypocrite. Also Leviticus 18:22 is also translated from Hebrew, which has no vowels. This means that wherever there is a vowel in a word, they are guessing the word. This means that Leviticus 18:22 has two or three meanings, all saying different things. The way I interpret what it says is that "Two of mankind shall not lie down in a woman's bed, it is an abomination." Even though it says mankind, what it is abominating is not homosexuality, but actually it is abominating cheating on your spouse.

9. Connor22

I used to like all the time in school but lately not even a little bit except for some banter between friends but then I can be worse than some of the bullies XD

10. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh well, sometimes people will say stuff, but I think they just don't know that this is kind of hurting and plain stupid, I don't fight. I'm just sad about it if it's my uncle or my dad haha, I get pretty angry and almost say something, but I just keep quiet.

11. MrBrightside

I love the lad bible! So do my gay mates.

Its more just directed at women than gay people. Just the general comedy/get back to the kitchen jokes. Have to say alot thats posted is quite funny.:lol:

12. Formality

What would count as homophobia? If someone say gay people are disgusting or something similar is that homophobia? Anyways, I chose 'not often', since I rarely hear any serious gay-hate comments. People are ridiculously accepting where I'm at.

13. PrinceOfAvalon

Missouri, U.S.A.... in a town no one knows of lol
    Everyday in school i hear people say "That's gay" but its usually not meant in a homophobic way.. its still offensive if its used to describe a person... just idiotic to describe an action or object like "that test was so gay..." lol

Most people in my school that aren't idiots are totally supportive of homosexuality though :slight_smile: which is good considering its Missouri lol

14. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear you, lol. Missouri is sometimes a wonderful place to live, and sometimes it can be the worst place to live. I know a certain small town 30 minutes away from mine where I would be scared for my safety if I was openly gay there. But my community for the most part is pretty accepting for a small farm town.

15. justjade

I live in a very conservative area of the country. My family, a lot of my friends, and pretty much all my coworkers are extremely homophobic. I keep hearing things like, "It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve", "That's gay", and I even heard one person say, "I don't care. I don't like him. I don't want that :***:ing faggot in my house." Not sure who that person was talking about, but what the hell?

My uncle has admitted that even though he doesn't agree with people being LGBT, he does say that they must be really strong to endure the hell that they go through.

I guess that's the best response I'll get from someone in my town....:dry:

16. sugarcubeigloo

There have been a few times in my life where I've been called slurs since coming out. However, for the most part, I haven't really personally come across homophobia. I try to surround myself with the right kind of people. And fortunately (very, very, much so) the family members I've come out to have been great. That said, it's really scary when confronted in an aggressive way.

This is a very interesting topic... Thanks for posting this. I'm curious what others have to say.

17. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    90% of the time at school.
    Not directed at me, but to gays in general.

18. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    By people that actually know I am gay , never know ones ever said anything , by my close minded family friends who don't know I am a lesbian I hear very occasional gay bashing but its never aimed at me. I guess it helps that I have only come out to people of my generation , I live in London and a university town so I never really get it. A few gay men I know have said to me they think lesbians have it easier cause straight girls tend to be less homophobic than straight men who are attracted to lesbians. There may be some truth in this , or its that straight girls tend to keep there mouth shuts if they are homophobic and just mutter behind the girls back wheres straight boys will be more likely to say homophobic comment to someones face I know this is completely generalising but its interesting.

19. Harve

I'm almost fully out, and in 'real life', I can't think of the last time I got any homophobic abuse.

That said, randomers on the street wouldn't think I'm gay and my friends are, well, my friends. But amongst those in between it's the same story, so no bother.

20. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not personally, to my face, ever. I can find some terrible stuff online if I look though. One merely has to spend a few minutes looking at Youtube comments.