1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stress management techniques?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JPC, May 19, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

I have been under a huge amount of stress lately. My uni workload has become beyond ridiculous in the last couple of weeks and deadlines are fast approaching, I still have loads of research to do for my dissertation and exams are coming up in two weeks. On top of that, they are all through Spanish, which makes it so much more difficult and stressful.

I had my insomnia under control for a few months, but all of this stress has brought it on again. I've also pretty much lost my appetite and never really feel like eating. Overall, I'm feeling pretty rough these last few weeks, and the pressure is not going to ease off until late June when the semester finishes and I can move back home.

Usually, I thrive off of stress. It's generally what motivates me. This year though, it's really dragging me down for some reason. I haven't really slept or eaten for days and I know I won't have any chance of finishing the work I have to do unless I can get this stress under control and get back in to a healthy routine.

Sorry that this post dragged on a bit, it's longer than I intended, but I was wondering if anybody knows of any good, effective stress management techniques? I've tried going for walks, taking a day off, ect. but nothing seems to be working.

#1 JPC, May 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2013
  2. Candace

Lo que me gusta hacer es: canta!, busque una buena pelicula, y come algo bueno (como helado o galletas).

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exercises. Strenuous exercise like running or biking will sap your mind of worry, or at least it does for me.
    Sorry you're feelin stressed. <3

4. Pied Piper

Meditation works for some people, or even just making a regular time each day to spend being yourself.

Hope you feel better about things soon. Chin up!

5. JPC

JPC Guest

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm not sure singing will help relieve my stress, but I'm pretty sure hearing me blasting out a tune will stress out my housemates :lol:

I exercise pretty much everyday, usually a cycle or a quick jog, but it doesn't really seem to be working unfortunately.

I've never tried meditation before, but I think I might give it a shot. Thanks!

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There is another thread running at the moment by another EC Member & he Said "Masturbation is a good stress reliever" :slight_smile:

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think this is quite ... obvious. :thumbsup:

8. JPC

JPC Guest

:roflmao: Be that as it may, I spend most of the day in the library or the park and it's pretty hard to get away with doing it there :lol:

9. kem

kem

I know this sounds weird but just start by doing little things to relax and enjoy the moment. Have a cup of tea and just sit by a window and look at the sky and the trees. Go stand outside when it's raining. Go out on a field and just lie there listening to music. As you do these things you'll start to appreciate the present more and think less about what will happen in the future. That's how I got over stress.

You can overcome stress is by understanding its futility and embracing the idea that worrying is counterproductive. Accepting that it's okay to have uncertainties about the future sometimes, as long as you don't let it affect you too much, is vital as well.

Poor nutrition and inadequate sleep overclock my brain and I used to have a lot of stress when I didn't sleep enough and ate unhealthily. Improving my diet and sleep habits helped a lot in eliminating stress.

10. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :roflmao: time to cut a hole in your pocket Sonny Jim :roflmao:

11. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

Call me weird...

1) Scream
    2) Cry
    3) Scream again
    4) Pull yourself back together
    5) Drink a hot chocolate
    6) Do some zen/yoga
    7) Breath calm and deep
    8) Sing opera (or at least try to)

Honestly, it helps!

12. JPC

JPC Guest

Well, I had a little meltdown this morning. After getting absolutely no sleep last night I decided to just do nothing at all today. I skipped all my classes, ignored all my calls and didn't respond to any texts. I turned down a job offer today as well, which in hindsight may not have been a very good idea, but now really isn't the time to be taking on anything extra. Instead I just indulged in a little bit of retail therapy, went for a walk in the park and spent almost an hour and a half nursing a coffee in a quiet cafe and now I'm feeling much more relaxed.
    Thanks everybody for your suggestions and advice!