1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sydney Archbishop Backs Gay Ban at School Prom - This is so DUMB!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Quitex, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Quitex

Quitex Guest

http://www.christianpost.com/articl...y_Archbishop_Backs_Gay_Ban_at_School_Prom.htm

Am I the only one thinking this is dumb? :bang:

2. CrimsonThunder

Well its an Anglican Church school, so it goes under their rules.

3. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions."

One of my favorite quotes, and probably the only thing Karl Marx said, that I agree with.

Indeed it's dumb - but so is living following the heavily edited teachings (see Bible, Council of Nicaea) supposedly confided to a very select few (prophets) by a supernatural being of dubious existence.

God exists if and only if he's almighty (because God is almighty by definition), therefore if he really didn't like homosexuality, he (or she, or it) would just get rid of it. Plus, he supposedly created all things - and why would a perfect being (again, God is perfect by definition) create something he (or she, or it) considers wrong?

4. Sam

Sam

Don't get me started about religion. Yes there are many ignorant people in this world and I don't think its going to change anytime soon. Maybe before we all die we will see a glimse of hope.

5. Jerr

HAH funny you mention this.

I just went to prom saturday and SO grinded with this guy. I believe we were the first two guys to ever grind at my school's prom. It was fantastic.

I got plenty of pics. I'll keep yall posted when I get them up.

6. SamAlex728

good job fred but u missed 1 "he (she,or it)"
    but good job anyways
    btw my religion:ATHIEST
    if u guys dont like it ull get over it or die with a problem

7. sparkyboyM

i think many religions dumb...atheism ftw!

ever heard 'adam and eve not adam and steve!' if we're to believe that BS, where did the dinosaurs come from, and wouldn't we all be inbred?! according to the bible adam & eve had 2 SONS. that makes no damn sense, like so much else in that book...no offense to christians, i'm only saying that in any religion, some stuff just can't be taken literally.

#7 sparkyboyM, Apr 16, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  8. pirateninja

Part of me wants to say "Dumbasses!", but then again, from the article, it does seem that their only fault is beleiving that this "encourages behaviour". In other senses they seemed quite tolerant compared to many other Christian schools.

9. Ty

Ty Guest

Atheism isn't a religion, rather its a lack of religion :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. pirateninja

Smartass :grin:

11. Alexander

Nope, atheism is just a religion of random chance instead of god :slight_smile:

but I thought anglican bishops were supposed to be more tolerant of gays :frowning2:

12. lodiug

When one person is delusional, it's called insanity.
    When alot of people are delusional, it's called a religion.

It's a quote from somebody but I forgot who....

13. Beebo

YOU HYPOCRITES

For a bunch of people trying to eliminate the bad parts of the gay stereotypes, you dont seem to fucking give a care about encouraging new ones for everyone ELSE.

wow guys. You may aswell say: "all black people rob stores, or asians can't drive, or better yet, GAY PEOPLE ARE ALL FLIPPIN' SEX FANATIC; PERVERTS; PEDOPHILES!!!"

I for one am so fed up by the general comments you guys make about religion. I dont go around saying what I think about athiest people, what the fuck gives you the right to fricking go bash us eh?! YOU IGNORANT FOOLs!.

I, because of my christian morals, dont think its right to bash others, or discriminate against others, and this is a public forum, so in the least, fucking learn to say "your opinion and consider other peoples feelings" because there are most fucking definately other christians on this site.

PS: you might be a minority to a christian society out there, but I am a minority to an atheist society in here, on EC, think about that.

#13 Beebo, Apr 16, 2008
  14. Ty

Ty Guest

Who is everyone else? Naturally alot of gay people have a stigma to the christian ethos but I haven't seen any other sort of sterotypes to everyone else that isn't gay.

Why? I've only seen people quoting philosophers and giving their opinions on the actual christian teachings. Which are somewhat biased against gays.

I think you'll find that its mostly gay people who are critical of religion as it is quite discriminatory (if taken literally from the bible) against homosexual people. I don't see how anything posted is ignorant?

You already bashed most of the atheists on this site in the above quote calling us 'ignorant'. And I dont quote understand what you mean by "learn to say "your opinion......peoples feelings", enlighten me? Because everything that is posted is their opinion.

The entire world is somewhat larger than a small GBLT forum on the internet, so I don't think its very good to compare the two. Your not being discriminated against, its just your christian bible is unsatisfactory to most of the people on here, and I think its their right to be critical of it.

KTHXBI

15. Beebo

Answers to ThatCrazyThang's breakdown of my earlier comment.

1. "Everyone else" encompasses people who have faith or a religion does it not?

2. If I was to put up quotes from all the philosophers who say atheism is wrong, then I am sure all the atheists here would be upset, no? When someone agrees with what Fred quoted, it calls all religious people delusioned. NOT TO MENTION when someone says:

"When one person is delusional, it's called insanity.
    When alot of people are delusional, it's called a religion.

It's a quote from somebody but I forgot who...."

And this comes up all the time doctor.

3. Socrates said something along the lines of: "The most ignorant thing is to something is absolutely true, or untrue." People made absolute statements in this thread.

Ignorance is the core of a stereotype. Saying someone is this or that because they are Religious shows that they are ignorant to who the real person is, and are blinded by societies idea of them.

4. I didn't say Atheist people are ignorant, I was talking about the people who made ignorant remarks.

"learn to say "your opinion......peoples feelings" -- "When you say something, think about how it will affect any person who reads it" I should have said that.

Okay... so lets say, my opinion is that I think all gay people are flippin douche bags! Does it make it right to say that just because its my opinion? No! because I would be insulting people. Within opinion and discussion you have to have manners, and consider other peoples feelings.

5. This last statement you said is sooooo ethically wrong. A good book for you to read might be -- "Horton Hears a Who" by doctor Seuss. "a person's a person no matter how small".

(Discrimination is discrimination no matter how small.)

Are you saying that because I am part of a group of people who have been discriminated by the world, it gives me the right to lash out on other people on a smaller scale? The world is just a bigger less gay EC, we should follow the rules of the world if we are going to be part of it.

"its just your christian bible is unsatisfactory to most of the people on here, and I think its their right to be critical of it." -- is just like saying, If I think christianity blows, then I have every right to go picket the street proclaiming how stupid you have to be to be religious. Its called discrimination, it eventually leads to hate crimes (burning/vandalizing churches), and only gets worse.
    ____________________________________________________________________________

What you all hate here, is not RELIGION, it is a group of people with traditional beliefs that discriminate against you, so don't make this about religion. Because, fred you related all religious beliefs to what this one guy did, instead of saying he was wrong, you blamed religion, and in turn insulted me and almost any other religious person that was to read this.

#15 Beebo, Apr 16, 2008
  16. sdc91

Ugh, why are people fighting?

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, freedom of speech. Just say it with respect, which there seems to be a lack of in this thread.

17. Quitex

Quitex Guest

I ask for this thread to be closed, please.
    This got totally off track and this was not the reason I posted this. The reason why I brought this here is to show how there is more and more needs of our society to 'loosen up' towards gay people, rather than religion - atheism fight.

And if you want to discuss how good/bad or how much you care less about other people belief's, use PMs. Thank you.

#17 Quitex, Apr 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2008
  18. Beebo

I am sorry for being so blunt... It had gone from talking about the Sydney Archbishop thing to a why religion sucks thread. Which was bogus in my brain, so I thought I should speak up and defend the right to believe in something without being called delusional. Anyways I will drop it.

Sorry if I offended anyone... *sigh* what a world.

#18 Beebo, Apr 16, 2008
  19. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, it is not, and it really irritates me when people make this mistake. Atheism is not a religion, it is the lack of belief in a supreme being. There is no atheist dogma, no central doctrines, no sacraments or clergymen or sacrifice or worship. The only thing atheists have in common is the lack of belief, and every other aspect of their life is up to that individual.

Anyway...

It also bugs me to see people refer to the "homosexual lifestyle". I said in another post that, like atheism, there is no core belief system to sexuality. You don't have to meet certain requirements or live a certain life, there isn't a secret club or initiation ceremony. It's just another aspect of someone, not a choice on how to live.

20. Jeimuzu

Wander has made one of the best posts of this whole thread there. And the concept and formatting of his signature is awesome. :grin:

Something to think about... imagine if a school banned straight partners for the school prom, saying only gay ones were allowed, I wonder what would happen? I wonder how many people would call it madness?

I'd quite like to see that, because there's not really an argument which the homophobes can prove. Every argument they'll try to use will be either them making assumptions we know to be untrue, and that they only make because it suits their opinions, or will be something that can be countered by their conflicting opinion on a prom gay-ban.