1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold and unapproachable

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JPC, May 21, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

One of my good friends told me today that he almost decided not to speak to me the first time we met because I look "Cold and unapproachable", another friend who was with us agreed with hime (Well he just said "Yeah", which I interpreted as an agreement with what the first guy said)

I've alwasy considered myself a friendly, albeit reserved person, so this kind of surprised me and annoyed me a little. I'm not entirely sure how I look cold and unapproachable, and short of surgically altering my face, I don't really see how I can make myself seem instantly warm and friendly. I'm not really sure if there is a question in this, but I felt like ranting a bit.

2. Hefiel

It's the same way for me, although it's not as bad anymore. I typically have this serious look on my face, and sort of a "death glare" even though it's not on purpose. It's much more worse when I'm concentrated, but when I'm around people I'm familiar with, I tend to lose the serious look/death glare. People tend to stay away from me because of that, thinking I'm very antisocial or just very cold, so most of my acquaintances are usually people where I initiated the conversation myself (which is highly unusual of me).

I consider myself to be pretty friendly and "open" with people I've let in my world a little, but your post makes me wonder how they see me. I know I can be too straightforward at times, so there's that.

3. JPC

JPC Guest

Exactly, some of my friends have naturally happy, smiley faces. Now that I look at it, my natural facial expression is kind of 'if you look at me, I'll punch you', but if I try to make my face look any different, it looks forced and kind of weird.

#3 JPC, May 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2013
  4. Van

Van

I have friends who have said the same thing about me. And I'm actually quite friendly... or at least I'm trying to look like that. :grin: My shyness and weirdness just give people wrong inpressions sometimes. And I've also had people telling me that I'm very defensive and reserved, which is true. I owe that to my inability to show emotions and affection.

5. Hefiel

I sort of stopped caring at one point about the expression I made. I'm often pondering about something or concentrating on some work, so I'm not really able lose the facial expression.

Which reminds me of something. I've only met those in schools, but there's always that one person that seems curious or attracted (not sexually or anything) to people that are typically more lonely, and if you let that person in, you'll usually get surrounded by 3-5 more people within the next 30 minutes. It's weird.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People often get the wrong impression of me, until they get to know me :slight_smile:

7. Same here actually, but once people actually spend some time with me they realise that I'm not cold at all... just downright crazy :slight_smile:

8. KingdomKeyDK

I think it was just his first impression. People think I am just unsociable, but once you get to know me, I am definitely a rambunctious person

9. BornInTexas

As others said, it was probably just a first impression.

My friend told me she didn't talk to me for a while because I always appeared aloof. I was actually anticipating talking to someone, but my shyness stops me all the time. It was just a first impression. We're both awesome now. :slight_smile:

10. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I look cold and unapproachable when I'm by myself, but when someone decides to talk to me I'm friendly and smile a lot. Then the people around me see that I'm actually a nice guy and they also start talking to me. When I'm in a room full of people and don't know anyone there, no one approaches me and I'm pretty much fucked :lol:

#10 RisingSun, May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  11. mickey1101

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get the same thing most of my friends I only have cuz I met them through someone else I've been told I have a don't talk to me or ill kill you face but I think I'm nice I don't get it...

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I definitely give off that aura with body language alone, ie crossing arms, sitting away from the crowd, and keeping conversations short and impersonal. At one time, I was a lot more sociable, gregarious, and open towards strangers, but how many times has that worked against me? After a while, decided it wasn't worth it, and now only a few people can break these walls, so it's definitely a balancing act between being too trusting and establishing firm boundaries.

13. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Though I've never had anyone tell me so directly, my experience is largely the same. It's all the more frustrating if there are people I wish to approach, but for numerous reasons am unable to do so myself. So when I give off the vibe of being unsocial I inadvertantly push people away before I've even the chance. It sucks 'cause, in a matter of speaking, I'd generally say that I feel a great deal, but express very little.

14. Spurned

Spurned Guest

A lot of people said the same about me, until I cut all my hair off and suddenly I was a different person. Huh.
    I've been loud and speak to pretty much anyone since the start of Year 10 in school, I cut my hair off halfway through this year (Year 11), still acting the same, and suddenly I became approachable!

15. OutwardSmiles

I normally get the exact opposite. Whenever I'm around people I choose not to talk to they always say "You're so shy!" and I'm just like "I'm not shy; I just don't like you."

16. Hrantou

I apparently have a very sad face. People tell me I just look sad, which is funny cause once you talk to me I tend to be very joyful and talkative. :grin:

17. FruitFly

Haha, well, at least it's just a first impression which was proved to be incorrect as they got to know you :wink:.

I've been accused of being very... well, British in my approach to strangers and social interaction. Just as some people have a telephone voice, I have an out in public personality where I am fairly aloof and formal; no hugs, no informal chatter, and I shall stand at least an arms length away from you at all times. The only people I'm warm and embracing towards are my customers or people who have stood the test of time, and they get to see just how warm and fluffy I can be :wink:.

I actually prefer people who appear cold, but are actually lovely to the people who have taken the time to get to know them. I'm not keen on people whose personalities remind me of over excitable springer spaniels, bouncing around being best friends with everyone. I like the people who take time to open up, who you have to get to know and spend real time with before seeing the heart of their personality.

18. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I get that air too.
    But still I have like a metric crap ton of friends.
    Im friends with like most of my class. Few upperclassmen.

19. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I am a ball of social anxiety and shyness, so I tend to always have a nasty, uninterested look on my face. I've had many people in my classes go, "You always seem so reserved and shy, but weren't you the one screaming really loudly in the canteen?". I am a completely different person when I warm up with people and feel comfortable and my much hidden extroverted self comes out.

20. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm very shy and reserved especially around people I don't know very well. I guess that could come across as unapproachable to some people and I think that my facial expressions could show that I look quite serious which doesn't help! When I get to know someone well and I feel comfortable around them I would like to think that I appear to be warm and fun to be around.
    I think I'm one of those people that whatever mood I'm in at the time shows in my face...so basically I can't hide how I'm really feeling! :icon_redf