1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Papers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tim, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

I was thinking today, about school papers (bad MTV and their new show "The Paper" -.-) and one incident came to mind

Something that happened at a nearby school. I was on the paper staff (i hated it with a passion, but was only elective open >_<) and got wind of something that happened at another city nearby's HS paper, and decided to write an article about it (but ran out of time, and didn't get it in >_<)

Anyways, In it, in the opinions section, a guy quite literally was bashing people who were gay and lesbian, this of course, brought a LOT of attention to the paper, and had a lot of students/parents visiting their room. Anyways, when asked, the teacher said the editor was the one who passed it, not him. When being asked about it and such, he was asked (apparently he was black) what if a student wrote a paper about how being black is wrong, and he responded "Being black isn't a choice."

This made the incident burst to Every school in the school district, which led to a lot of walk outs. The principal announced he agreed with the editor, and would not ask him to write a retraction. Of course, this made me (and other schools) want to write articles of our own combating his hate article. Mine never made it in, but the girl who was writing a response to mine altered it to at least slip it into the paper (I still feel bad, her and the teacher were mad I didn't get it in on time -.-)

We never heard of what actually ended up happening directly, but one of my friends said the principal caved in after parents from 6 different high schools bombarded him with phone calls and drop ins, and forced the student to right a formal apology and retraction, and gave him a weeks suspension for spreading hate speech.

Unfortunately, I can't locate the article, (I'm guessing they deleted it off their site <.<) and my mom threw away all my school papers, including all of my articles inside of them ~.~ Oy.

So, has anyone else had a lot of controversy sparked by an article written in yours or a nearby school's paper? ^^;

2. Casey17

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm on the paper at our school. This year we wanted to write an article about... I think it was gay rights. We wanted it to be as balanced as possible, so I didn't want to write it. There one kid that wanted to write it, but in the end, after much debate, our adviser told us to just forget about it because either way we're going to make someone mad. Too far one way and the GLBT students would be angry, the other way and there would also be upset students and more than likely parents. I wish it could have been written by that kid, cause I think he would have done it justice, but after talking to the editor, my friend, about it I gave up. (she later told me that I shouldn't have given up so easily. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

3. justbeingme

I'm trying to get my supervisor to allow me to write about gay bashing in my newspaper, but im not sure if she will let me quite yet.

4. otc877

otc877 Guest

Your story sounds strikingly similar to the editor-in-chief's story of my school newspaper.
    She had written an article condoning how homosexuality is becoming more accepted in today's society and because of that article she was "forcefully suggested to transfer" (informal expulsion).

I'm on the newspaper staff at my school, and we tend to write on less controversial topics, but we're lucky enough to have a principal who doesn't censor us too much.

5. Vampyrecat

no, but I did write in to my towns local paper last week. Go look at the thread "never underestimate an angry vampyrecat"

Basically this pigheaded MP is going to vote against a bill which will allow gay people to recognise a partnership and will give them equal rights to straight couples. but no...pigheaded freudian people like our MP's want us all to be repressed and stop tearing up society... (excuse the bitterness).