1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smartphones?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vhrebels, May 21, 2013.

1. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Hey. So, it just kind of hit me that our culture is obsessed with smartphones. Every day in school I see classmates using them constantly, and I think it's kind of crazy. I don't have a smartphone, nor do I want one. I love talking to people, and when people are on their phones all day, it gets really annoying. It's rare to find someone who doesen't check their phone every 5 minutes, because they are very addictive. The main purpose of smartphones is to promote instant gratification via providing the user constant entertainment. Also, why would you need the Internet every where you go? It's a great tool, but it feels good to escape from email or social media for a while and have some privacy. Anyways, sorry for ranting about that. What are your opinions on smartphones? What do you like or dislike about them?

2. catatonie

Never going to get one because A) touchscreens fuck that and B) Wow how fucked up is it that people are basically plugged in to something 24/7 all mindless and robotic. I don't get it. I have friends who will ask to hang out then be on it the entire time I'm there, occasionally repeating some random fact they just read on the screen.

3. Ridiculous

Smartphones are great.
    If someone is incapable of putting it down when around other people then that is a problem with the person, not the smartphone. (Yes it is incredibly annoying when people do this, but there's no use blaming the technology.)

4. castle walls

I love smart phones. It is pretty much a smaller version of my laptop. It does a lot for me. For example,
    • It keeps me organized
    • It lets me do research while I'm traveling
    • It allows me to quickly take detailed notes
    • It allows me to easily check my email for work
    • The internet on my phone allows me to leave my laptop (which can get heavy) at home
    • The apps allow me to do pretty much anything on a lightweight device
    • I can create documents on it
    • I can read books on it
    • I can find cheap gas prices
    • It has a built in GPS
    • I can book flights, hotels, and so on

Smart phones just make my life a lot easier. Instead of carrying around several books, my laptop, and a GPS, I can just bring my phone. It is a lot more convenient

5. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^ Not to mention basically having a camcorder/camera in your pocket

6. teluphone

I've only used smart phones of older versions since my father keeps buying new versions everytime

I'm actually more baffled at people who spend life savings on a smart phone. I would spend it on months supply of food or watch many movies with that kind of money

7. I have a smartphone myself (Samsung Galaxy S2) and it's very convenient to have it. Helps me keep up on Facebook, news, and Instagram. There are a wide variety of games to play and many other apps to experience. The smartphone is like a phone, book, laptop, radio, music player, pedometer, and game console all in one.

However what I don't like about it is that since smart phones are complexly built, it's very easy for it to malfunction and for it to die on you when you drop it. That's why there are silicone cases and hard plastic cases to protect your phone. I used to have a flip phone from motorola and I could drop it many times (even on purpose), and it still works perfectly.

8. SilverGirl

i have a samsung galaxy S3 that my mom bought it for me (i didnt want it, but my old phone was having all sorts of weird problems, so she just wanted to give me a new one), and while it looks interesting, i dont really use it that much to be honest, just to call people, record and take pictures, and play games, the cell phone internet in my country is total crap, also i do have facebook and such but i rarely post anything, i pretty much just use it for the chat, but maybe when im out ill be much more active, and im looking forward to be able to use this little thing more often, i feel quite sad that most of the time its just there in the corner :icon_sad:

i think my s3 needs more love (*hug*)

oh and i HATE TOUCHSCREEN!!!!!!!!!

9. Hexagon

How could I hate my smartphone? It wakes me up, it reminds me to do stuff, it works as a GPS, it keeps me connected to the internet, it plays me music, it performs calculations, it allows me to update arrangements (such as texting 'I'm going to be a few mins late'), it takes photos and videos, it lets me play games when I have nothing better to do... etc

Smartphones are the best thing that has happened since the internet itself. I would, quite literally, be lost without them, courtesy of the GPS.

10. confeshhhions

I love my blackberry - couldn't live without it! Not only does it help me communcate with people around the world, if I'm lost anywhere all I have to do is click a button and it finds my location and helps me get to where I wanna go.

11. Night Rain

The people who hate them just don't know how to utilize the damn things, or just do so thinking hating on things people love is cool. Smartphones are so convenient. Sure, my mom doesn't have or need one, but many others and I do.

12. Hefiel

I pretty much think the same way you do, but ended up having to get one anyway not too long ago. I've had to move around a lot lately and having a portable Google Map has been incredibly convenient to find the places I need to go. Plus being able to call if anything comes up is convenient.

I really hate phones though, so conversations I receive rarely ever lasts over 30 seconds. It's so annoying to talk to someone over the phone, especially when they don't stop talking. :dry:

13. 4ever Hearth

I get this, mainly because I am introverted so I am not looking to post stuff any and everywhere. There are only three places I have posted a lot of stuff. 1) Facebook when I needed to vent, 2) Here when I found it and 3) A game I used to play that had a forum. For instance, my friends are usually all over Instagram and Facebook, snooping into people from "Once Upon a Time" lives. And now that I had to update to a smartphone(due to my previous phone malfunctioning and being outdated), they think I'm going to become a social media nut like them and I just refuse. I only use Youtube on my phone to listen to music, I've downloaded Angry Birds and had fun with that for awhile and I txt people. I haven't made many calls since I don't like talking over the phone to begin with, plus I'm still figuring out how it works.

Now reading Castle Walls, Hexagon and Anthony's post, I realize I have a hell of a lot more to learn about it. :lol:

Overall, I agree with Ridiculous. It comes down to self-control. No one has to be on it 24/7 but due to their overbearing need for Self-Gratification they do it. Sometimes I think some people don't notice since other's do it and seemingly expect from everyone else as well.

14. Hexagon

To add to my previous post, I find that the internet brings a perfect level of connection to the outside world for me. I'm not too fond of people, at least when meeting in person, and I relate to people best online. It connects me to people I'd never meet IRL, and it gives me access to knowledge and entertainment. The smartphone is an extension of that connection.

And tell me, what is so bad about picking up a smartphone when I'm sitting on a bench waiting for a train and playing a videogame?

15. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love smartphones! It's great for bus rides and times am waiting for things (appointments, buses, etc), also it lets me keep connected with some of my online friends from wherever. It also helps with social anxiety on some occasions where there is a ton of people, it kind of gives me time to adjust to the situation while looking like I am doing something.

I tend to use my phone for the basics like calling and planning but I do use it to browse online, look at forums I frequent or play games (emulators, ftw).

In the case of being polite, I will admit it is quite frustrating talking to someone who is constantly checking their phone. It really gives off the impression of the listener not being interested or being plain rude. I only check my phone when with others to show something or check the time when I have to be keeping track of time.