1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to my school counsellor?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Islander, May 22, 2013.

1. Islander

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and am currently not out to a single person. I started to have homosexual feelings when I was about 12, but have only recently thought that I am most likely a lesbian (I am 18).

I will be going to university in September and currently attend an all-girls school. I have been seeing the school counsellor for a few months about issues between my parents, so have got to know her quite well. At first, I didn't even think about coming out to her as it wasn't an issue that I was bothered with, as I have never had any internal homophobia. But lately I have started to worry about how my life is going to change when I go to university, as I would like to start dating. If I become more open about my sexuality at university, there is the worry that the knowledge could somehow spread to my parents, and I am nowhere near ready to tell them.

Anyway, I wish to discuss these matters with the counsellor, but have been unable to actually come out to her. I am really angry with myself because of this, as I thought I was ok with my sexuality and still am, but I just can't figure out why it is so hard to tell her. It may be because I know that she already has an image of me in her mind, and I would drastically change it if I come out to her (which I know is a ridiculous and irrational belief, because she is a counsellor so has seen it all before and is not there to pass judgement). Whenever I go to see her with the intention of coming out, conversation always starts with how my parents are, and it is near to impossible to get the conversation around to personal relationships - but on the infrequent occasions where we do start to discuss relationships, I chicken out and am unable to tell her. I have toyed with the idea of emailing her before our next session, but this feels like the coward's way out, and I would quite like to practise 'coming out' before I have to do it in the 'real world'. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can come out to her in person?

Thank you.

#1 Islander, May 22, 2013
    Last edited: May 22, 2013