1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of "friends with benefits"?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by That1Guy, May 22, 2013.

?

What do you think?

1. I've had a FWB and enjoyed it

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. I've had a FWB and didn't like it and/or regret it

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. I've never had one but would be open to it

23 vote(s)
    31.5%
  4. I'm not interested in having one

29 vote(s)
    39.7%
  5. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you think about friends with benefits or casual sex with someone that you're not in a relationship with? Have you had one? If so, what are your experiences? If you haven't - Would you do it if given the opportunity?

Personally I don't think I could have sex with someone without the expectation of being in a relationship. If not right away i'd probably get strong feelings for the person after a while.

2. LailaForbidden

I'm not interested in one because I'm pretty sure I'd get feelings for that person. That's just me though. Also, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable making myself that vulnerable with someone I wasn't emotionally attached to. (before the feelings developed, that is)

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I voted I've never had one but would be open to it.

Indeed, that was a fantasy years back--a way to balance same sex attraction, without using the "g" word.

Today, without sounding too pessimistic, I have to say there are times when I think FWB would be my only chance at sex... I'd like a relationship, but...I'm not sure that can ever happen.

4. TraceElement

What I think? It works for some. I probably won't though.

5. Xochipilli

Yeah, I'd also expect a relationship.

And I'd feel kind of used.

6. FruitFly

I think they have their benefits for people at a certain stage in their lives, and I'm sure they can be immensely enjoyable for many of those people involved in such relationships. However I've been there, done that, gotten the t-shirt and ended up understanding that it's just not for me. While physically stimulating I've found them emotionally empty, I can safely say I wouldn't be in one again.

7. MixedNutz

My ex turned into a FWB after we broke up. It lasted until I met and soon became serious with my now partner. Then it was kind of awkward because I had to "dump him" in the FWB context.

It was nice while it lasted, but doing it with an Ex wasn't the best idea.

8. Hefiel

Voted "I'm not interested", although I don't think I'd close the door entirely on that option. I'd just be afraid of developing feelings for that person (or vice-versa) and that the feeling is not mutual. Especially considering I don't open up very easily to people, to have a FWB would mean that I'd be open enough towards him, so there would be more risk of developing feelings.

There's always the possibility that a FWB could turn into an actual relationship, although I don't think the chances are all that high. That's why I wouldn't close the door entirely on the option, but I'm not exactly favorable to the idea.

9. KingdomKeyDK

I really don't know why most people wouldn't want a FWB. They are great, just as long as you don't get feelings for each other. If you get a boyfriend/girlfriend or your friend gets a boyfriend/girlfriend, you can't get mad. By the way, I am remembering this from GirlCode... :lol:

10. JPC

JPC Guest

Messy, messy messy. I only know of one pair of friends that it worked for, all the rest ended badly.

11. Bolin

Never would be interested in that sort of relationship. I know a few people who've had friends with benefits, and it's never ended well.

12. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Had you asked me a few years ago, I would have said I wouldn't be able to do it. But then I had a FWB situation for a year or so, and I'm glad I did. :slight_smile:

13. castle walls

I voted "I've had a FWB and enjoyed it".

The thing about a FWB relationship is that it is not for everyone. If you are the type to quickly get emotionally involved, then you should avoid these types of relationships. If you are thinking of using a FWB relationship as a stepping stone to a romantic relationship, I wouldn't recommend that route.

Friends with benefits require a lot of communication. You have to talk beforehand about what you expect from the relationship. You also need to discuss limits. This all needs to be discussed before anything happens. Having a successful FWB relationship isn't as easy as the movies make it look.

Like I said, a FWB relationship isn't for everyone. There is nothing wrong with the people that aren't interested in this type of relationship. Personally, I've done the whole FWB thing and I never had any problems. As with any type of relationship, communication is key

14. vyvance

Zero interest in one.

15. Goodnyte

I don't think I could do it. I would eventually get feelings for the person. Not only that, I'm afraid it would ruin the friendship I had with the person. I can't forget that whole feeling used part. I definitely would. It would feel too much like a hit-and-run.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd be open about tge potential for one, but I doubt I could do it without developing feelings for the 'friend' in question :confused:

17. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    One thing worth thinking about...FWB may have variable appeal depending on where you are in life. A young guy, for example, with sky high sex drive might embrace the idea fully. Ten years later, he might be more interested in having a deep, meaningful relationship, and avoid any sort of FWB situation.

18. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like the idea of it, but I'm afraid of sexual contact with people until I know them for a while and I know that they're as inexperienced as I am... :icon_redf

19. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Nope. Not happening.
    I think sex should be between 2 people that love each other. Obviously FWB don't love each other..

20. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think of sex outside of a loving relationship to be a bit immoral, and I think that friends with benefits would deteriorate their relationship very quickly.