1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do u go back to school and ace ur placement test and graduate in the following ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unsurevirgin, May 22, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Okay basically I dropped out bc my grades were falling ANd math was difficult and it was algebra and basic math . Along with all communication asl and barely passed bio. So how do I do better ? And can I have two majors? I wanna be in the food business and open my own business someday and move out and have a good life for myself :slight_smile: btw I'm 19 so any suggestions ? And getting a scholarship ???? So how do u pass a placenta test and go back to school and graduate from a 2 yr college and go to a another one?

2. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

Re: How do u go back to school and ace ur placement test and graduate in the followi

You have the right idea about going to a two year college first and then transferring. community colleges usually accept anyone with a high school diploma or GED, so dropping out previously shouldn't be a barrier.

As for placement tests...I don't think that they can be "passed". They are usually a way for them to place you in the correct level class. It's probably best to go into them with only a quick review of the material so that you get an accurate placement. You may have to take lower level classes than you would like, but those classes will give you a solid foundation for the higher level classes.

Once you start, I would suggest meeting with your adviser immediately to share your career goals so that you can decide which classes are in your best interest to take. You should also take advantage of any tutoring offered by the school. My university has tutoring for all 100-level math classes, as well as the introductory classes for all majors and a writing workshop. You should also take advantage of your professors' office hours. Write down a list of anything you had trouble with in class or on the homework and ask then. You can even go if you don't have questions to listen to what other people ask.

Good luck!

3. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Re: How do u go back to school and ace ur placement test and graduate in the followi

I tried passing the the basic level I just couldn't ,am I stupid or something ? And I graduated high school

4. starfish

I'd suggest going to chat with an advisor at your local junior or community college. They can help you find the test requirements and identify leveling classes needed to help you pass the tests.

Don't feel bad about not being able to pass the tests. I failed the writing portion of the Texas college entrence exam 4 times. I never did pass it, even after a couple of remedial classes. I ended up having to file for an exemption. I then went on to get an engineering degree.

Try to avoid the for profit private colleges, like The Art institute, University of Phoenix, etc, as they are very expensive.

5. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I went to community college naussau

6. BlueBear

What were your grades like in High School? I had never finish High School and went back to Adult Education to get ready for college. There is quite a difference between what is expected in college classes compared to High School especially math. What classes did you do your best in High School?

7. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

U.s history ,English and science a lil, my grades weren't great in high school

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yeah, for one, you're learning the material in 1/3 the time you would have in high school, so the course moves a lot faster, and the class goes more in-depth. Some say AP courses in high school are more challenging, but I wouldn't know, haven't ever taken one.

Bad habits will follow you to college and make school more difficult for you, since your education is put in your hands, without a parent or teacher watching over you.

9. BlueBear

You are going to have to find what fits for your study type to get better grades. I struggled through college. I hate math but wanted an engineering degree. I spent a lot of time with Tutors and even had a professor from the community college I went to help me out with some of my university classes.

You have find out which learning type you are and study accordingly. I always thought I was a Visual Learner but I am the weird one Tactile/Kinesthetic. I did a lot better in my engineering classes with a high end calculator. It made up for a lot of my missing math skills and let me interact which is part of my learning type.

For classes that won't help with you major you could cherry pick the easy professors. You have to find a way through.

#9 BlueBear, May 23, 2013
    Last edited: May 23, 2013
  10. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Thank u :slight_smile:

11. BlueBear

You are very welcome. I saw my degree as a war to fight. I found what skills I was lacking in and found a way around the ones I couldn’t correct. From other students I was able to decide who to take for each class that fit my style of learning if possible. An example, for biology I took a professor that let you use a small file card for notes when taking the test. My math classes I took a professor that would give you either your earned grade or what you got on your final. The finials were multiple choose and with a high end calculator I could go from a C average up to a B if in that situation. I usually missed an A by just a few questions. Looking back if I had plugged the answers into the math problems I could have done even better. I took an English professor that was into creative writing and that was a great fit for me. I went to a large university for a year and it was a terrible fit and I transferred to one with small class sizes that had professors that would help you out during their office hours. At that college many of the professors didn’t give you the homework answers. They didn’t collect the homework but would help you work the problems if needed and had open book test. I got a different professor to order me a teacher’s edition of the book with a solution manual if I couldn’t find one on the web. Looking back I should have gotten an engineering tech degree instead of an engineering degree. I would be working now instead trying to find a job away from automotive. The tech degree is algebra based not calculus based but even being over my head in most of my engineering classes I found a way the best I could.

This may help. When I took my first precalculus test I looked at the paper and couldn’t answer any of it. I was going to throw it on the professor’s desk and just give up. After ten minutes I calmed down enough to do the test. I got a low B and never let the voice of defeat inside ever makes it way to the surface again. You become what you need to... to make it through.

12. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Thank u I feel so down yknow? My friend graduate and I dropped out trying to find work . I'm wondering if I can get a business masters degree yknow?