1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating sites/phone apps?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by NeonMan, May 23, 2013.

1. NeonMan

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    What do you think of them and things as such?

I've came on experimenting which I thought would be a good idea but it turned out to be a disaster.

I think, most - if not all - people there are somehow very superficial; which I dislike the most. Say for example, I already have three pictures posted on my profile but still they will still keep on asking for more pics more like, checking if I was crappy looking in some way or something like that.

And some - again, if not all - are only looking for casual hookups. Nothing really skin deep, I mean, come on, every time someone beeps me in, the question,"TOP OR BOTTOM?" never nonexistent in every conversation I've had.

I know that it's just a matter of luck to find a person that is looking what I am looking too. But really? Even if you have made it clear that you do not hook up or do one night stand they will still bug you with the "TOP OR BOTTOM?" question?

Or maybe I am taking such things too deeply.

I just need to get this out of my chest. :slight_smile:

P.S: After being bombarded by different people everyday for almost a month the same question over and over again, I decided to delete the application on my phone and deleted my account on dating sites and things as such. And never mind my age, it is easy to put "18" on the internet.

2. BudderMC

Doesn't make it true though. As an aside, honesty is important if you want a good relationship. Being on the Internet doesn't excuse that.

You pretty much described what most of those apps are - sleazy.

Think about it: looking for something more than a hookup on a hookup app (let's be serious - I don't care what the creators describe it as, it's used as a hookup app) is like trying to find a vegetarian at a meat-lovers barbecue. Not impossible, but it doesn't exactly make sense to find one there, right?

Dating sites can be better, but you have to keep in mind that dating sites produce a marketplace-like atmosphere. People can be as picky as they want and can stick to their "preferences" because they have a whole bunch of "choices" in front of them. And of course, sticking behind a computer screen allows people to abuse anonymity by being less kind than they would in person.

It can be really successful, but you have to know what you're getting yourself into.

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm not necessarily sure if they're the absolute majority. but a vocal minority of guys can ruin it for everyone just the same.

Unfortunately, it's pretty hard to beat simple statistics. Ask 100 random people on the street if they want to have sex with you, and you have decent odds that at least one will say yes (I have actually read about people validating this experimentally).

So, for the superficial and sex-crazed, a hook-up app or a dating site is pretty easy to abuse. you have zero risk, and a large number of people to shoot a message to. So some will just play the numbers game, messaging everyone that seems vaguely attractive, and not ask anything more than "want to hook up?". Writing more would get in the way of asking more people.

Also, if they ask a couple of time, they might just catch some people at a time they're feeling lonelier or hornier than they normally do, and some will give in even after saying no the first time. So pestering people is another way to get results.

And what's worse, they'll probably get lucky every once in a while, so for them it's working. Never mind the more seriously people who get seriously annoyed of all the superficial one-liners.

That doesn't mean it's impossible to find good people online, but dealing with the obnoxious ones and doing a whole lot of ignoring and saying "no", comes with the setting.
    Personally, I'd find it too much annoyance to bother, but I do know of people who met some quality folk as well.