1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discrimination at Work

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by justjade, May 23, 2013.

1. justjade

OK, so I have my first job where I get to wear shorts to work in the summer, so I thought I'd go get a pair for work. Well, I found a great pair of boys' cargo shorts that fit really well, and I went back home to shave my legs so I could wear them tonight (Not quite ready to go full guy and run around with unshaved legs yet). I felt really good wearing them to work because I thought this would be a great way to ease into coming out. The best part is they're really roomy in the crotch so my butt didn't get all sweaty. It was great!

It was great, that is, until I was just making a joke about flashing people because my apron is almost long enough to cover my shorts, so it looks like I'm not wearing any pants. Then I noticed one of the girls I work with was just staring at me. I looked back at her, and she just goes, "What?" I laughed and said that my apron is too long. Then she said, "Well, actually, your shorts need to be longer. They're supposed to cover your knees, like this," and bent down to show on her own leg how long the shorts should be. Then she turned to a manager from another store who was filling in for my boss and said, "Isn't that right?" The manager agreed with her and said, "Yep, that's right. That's the way it's always been."

OK, what? Seriously? My workplace has a unisex dress code. I've read it. That was one of the first things I had to do when I was hired. Basically all it says is the shorts have to be black (no sequins, no lace, no designs, just solid black), they can't be see-through or too tight, and your ass and/or privates can't be hanging out. That's all it says. What I'm wearing isn't provocative! They're not Daisy Dukes. They're not bicycle shorts. They're not leggings. They're :***:ing cargo shorts, and it's not fair that I should have to wear capris and the guys get to wear cargo shorts like mine.

I got kind of upset and just chilled in the back doing the dishes, and I asked one of my male coworkers why he gets to wear shorts that don't cover his knees completely. My shorts come down exactly as far on me as his do on him. He asked me who told me I needed to get longer shorts, and he told me, "Don't listen to them. That's stupid. It doesn't say anything about that in the dress code. She's basically never here anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it."

He's right. It's such a shame he may not be working with me much longer. He's pretty cool. We smoke and talk :***: about everybody, talk about which superheroes we like best, and what kind of silly things we can do to make work more fun. Damn, I'm gonna miss working with him. He makes work so great and makes it easier for me to ignore all the :***: people say about me. I'm used to working with a bunch of guys, and if he quits, the only guys where I work are going to be the boss, this older dude who mumbles all the time, and well....me, if you want to count me. I'm going to be stuck with a bunch of girls! I might have to change jobs. I used to work with a pretty equal number of guys and girls, and it was a blast. I hate to say it, but this job might not be working for me. :confused:

2. putresVigil

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Less discrimination and more just crappy coworkers and ignorant substitute managers. Unless I totally misread this it sounds to me like the dress code is on your side here so not really much of an issue. If it come up again, just point out the dress code to your coworker. Maybe she was just jealous of how you looked in them?

3. justjade

I had the same thought. Maybe she was just jealous. She didn't look like she could pull off shorts, period. It's true that the dress code is on my side. In hind sight, I don't even know why it got to me so bad. It just kind of pissed me off the way she said it, I think. She was just so snooty. She kept looking at me like I was stupid or a freak or something. I don't like most of my coworkers anyway. They are pretty crappy. I only really get along with any of them except that one guy. He takes up for me, which is great because no one else does, except the district manager when he's there. I feel very alone there. :icon_sad: