1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

In pursuit of a simpler life.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, May 24, 2013.

1. theMaverick

So I got laid off a little over a year ago. I've been continually unemployed since then. Last year I decided to move from Oklahoma to Texas. I started by throwing away a bunch of stuff. That felt really good. I still have quite a bit of stuff though.

Last night it dawned on me that my entire adult life has basically consisted of me blowing paychecks on stuff. Just stuff. Untold thousands of dollars just pissed away. Very little of the things I bought made me happy. Most of it is just a drain on my time and wallet and mental energy. I feel like I have this big anchor now.

I want to live a simpler life. I don't want to play the rat race. I want to get out from under this weight of stuff.

Does anyone have any advice?
    Is anyone else in pursuit of a simpler life?
    Has anyone else successfully transitioned from a complex life full of stuff to a simple life?

2. DanD

I used to work full-time in an office, having meetings, staying in hotels etc etc but I got so stressed because all the paperwork and endless brown nosing clients to obtain work.
    I was then a drum teacher and music magazine columnist for a few years which was OK, but with students constantly not showing, and then not being paid for over six months work on the magazine, I decided to keep things simpler.

Now, I do live alone in a pokey bedsit and work part-time, but I have no credit cards, no loans, no debts etc. I merely go to work four days a week (four hours per day), and then write novels. It's pretty boring, but it's simple - I just wish I had friends who would visit, or someone to love - I guess that's something I can dream of.

3. Hefiel

I've always had sort of a simple life in the sense that you're describing. I only care about the bare minimum to keep me going and a few things that lets me enjoy my hobbies, but beyond that I've no interest in "stuff".

In your case though, I think it would be a good idea to start by figuring out "why" you felt the need to buy all that stuff. Did you perhaps feel unaccomplished and found some degree of comfort in buying stuff (Whatever that stuff may be)? I think once you've figured out the why, and possibly seek to address it, you'll be able to be more selective and critical in your purchase of "stuff".

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure how much of the simple life I lead. In a way, I lead it, due to economic necessity. I could do better in some ways. For example, I have a lot of clutter I should get rid of. Although, given that I buy mostly used and at thrift shops, at least I don't have a lot of money tied up.

Long term, I've thought of focussing on fewer things, but higher quality.

Materialism is a real problem in our the US culture. And it's something that we get "sold" on, both through people selling stuff, and also the people we know. As a result, people end up with the large house, the large mortage, the expensive cars, and the stressful job to pay the debt of all the above...

5. BlueBear

The stuff fills a need and to get rid of it you will have to address what that need is. It will involve something from a person and will have an emotional aspect. I realize the post is more on downsizing but why not go a little further. What is nice about stuff is it is dependable and usually will be there when you need it.

6. Hexagon

I live a simple life. All I need is a laptop, wifi and electricity. And maybe food.

I think you need to figure out what will make you happy in life. I don't have the answer to what will make me happy and give me purpose, and even if I did, chances are that your answer would be different. But simply getting rid of all the offending stuff will only prompt you to buy more stuff, if you can't find something to replace it with. Basically, find your life purpose and meaning, and all the materialism will cease.

7. Ticklish Fish

no, you NEED food. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    it's a life necessity.
    and don't forget water and O2!

8. Hexagon

FINE. But life would be without purpose without internet, so I still think its more important.

9. June Cleaver

Find a local auction to consign it to, or have a yard sale, use a consignment shop too and sell it down to the minimum and buy a rv or travel trailer if your car will pull one and live the rv lifestyle. it can be done cheeply and rvs can only hold so much! I kept my ex on the road with my rv living all over the usa and it was a blast! I just locked the doors on my house and we went off. I had to do it to keep my sanity! In rv parks everybody knows everybody and if you don't get on with someone than drive to the next. You can meet all sorts of neat people. June

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't put food before Internet. But I'd have to say...I have lived the no-Internet life, and really wouldn't want to go back to that.

Of course, even with food, there is simplicity to pursue. Expensive steaks and beans are both protein sources. It's just that one costs a lot more.

11. Hexagon

Meh, I wouldn't eat steak anyway. Ethics.

Anyway, the fact remains that throwing away all of the stuff won't solve anything. Replacing the need for the stuff is what is important.

12. Ticklish Fish

i might be wrong, but i have the impression that expensive restaurants have plates that have smaller portion than restaurants for middle class XD

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you may be right, at least based on my limited experience. (Been in few expensive restaurants, and almost no restaurant in recent history. Between the cost of a restaurant, and the fact I'd be eating alone [sniff, sniff], I have little enthusiasm for eating out).

Another thing I noted in my limited experience: cheaper establishments often can have better cooking.

14. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! At the age of 24 you have already learned something that many people never seem to learn. 'Stuff' , in spite of what advertising tries to make us think, does not actually make us happy. Sure, there are certain things we need, and others which we don't 'need' but are nice to have, but beyond that it seems to be about clutter and trying to out compete other people to have the latest, newest, 'most improved'.

You may think you are 'someone lost' but to me you sound like you are a lot further along in finding yourself than many other people ever get.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stuff is not about the atoms that compose it. The definition of "matter" is simply that it occupies space and has mass.

Stuff, when we buy it is the "stuff that dreams are made on", stuff represents desire, wishes; when you enter a store, you are taken over by a kind of dream-like state that tells you that if you buy this, your life will be complete, organized (IKEA), happy, worry-free...in 10 easy, no-interest, payments...

It's a childish state, and our culture conspires to keep us that way. Our parents and teachers are replaced later on by our bosses, and we chain ourselves to those jobs so we can buy yet more stuff and so that, with our taxes, the state can take care of us from cradle to grave.

Our society can't tolerate grown-ups who know the true cost of things...

16. Ticklish Fish

ROFL, I dont enjoy IKEA sex where you insert things into other things.

also lol, don't forget antimatter ^_^ where they don't matter and people might not give a shit(?)

17. AlamoCity

I think that as Americans, we have been raised to view items as disposable. My grandparents were raised in the Depression Era in Texas and they rarely threw things away. They would mend clothes, save bags, use leftovers, etc. Now, we throw things at the first sign of damage; true, quality of items has diminished thanks to globalization, cutting corners, etc., but we rarely buy items for quality as was done before.

I think that's why I like to buy items of higher quality, even if they cost more, to ensure they last me for a long time. I love oxford shirts that I buy from Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren; while more expensive than a band t-shirt, they are timeless and look better with age and use (OK, I understand some of y'all will consider a Rush t-shirt timeless). Plus, they never go out of fashion and can transition from a work environment to a casual setting.

But one way I would really like to simplify my job is to buy some land in the future and start growing my own food. I'd still go to a 9-5 job to have income, health insurance, retirement benefits, but I feel that returning to the way of life similar to that of my grandparents would be a major simplification of the stressful and hectic lives we live in today. One problem I'd see is finding a partner willing to live a semi-rural/Farmer John lifestyle :icon_bigg.

18. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good point about quality. I bought a more expensive umbrella than the cheap made in China crap that falls apart at the next strong gust. My teenage son borrowed it for a while and it came back with a damaged handle, a disconnected spring and one of the edges unsewn from the frame.

Nevertheless, a little tweaking with the spring, some needle and thread to rejoin the frame to the fabric, some transparent tape to keep the handle together and voila, (almost) as good as new. You can repair things of quality, which makes it a good investment from the start. You can't fix a cheap umbrella; just as you can't mend pressed-wood furniture when it starts to fall apart.

19. Hexagon

What is this "quality" you speak of? We genZers have not heard nor seen this wonder.

20. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am going to encourage you again to take a journey that forces you to simplify. You've spoken of your interest in hiking the AT, but any trip that would take at least six weeks where you are reliant on only what you can carry will change your view on what you really need to be happy in this world. If your "stuff" is in good condition, selling it could help fund this trip for you. It would also give you the opportunity to say "I did this thing that took a lot of patience, courage, and strength. I am capable of doing great things."

Just make sure you don't think of said journey as an escape from your problems. Instead think of it as an opportunity to overcome some of your problems to give you confidence to overcome the other issues you face.