1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT acceptance in China?!?!?!!! WTF!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, May 24, 2013.

1. I've researched LGBT rights and history in China and it has said that homosexuality was accepted as a normal part of society. There were even gay people that were part of royalty back in Ancient China.

I wonder what happened to their accepting society. Even though you won't get arrested for being gay in public, many people would lose respect for you. Chinese families would lose face when their son or daughter (if they even have one) comes out as gay. Gay people even marry the opposite gender to humor their parents rather than to tell them.

2. AlamoCity

If I recall correctly, it was when the British took over that China's gay rights plummeted with the introduction of anti-buggery laws and general intolerance to gay people.

3. Ticklish Fish

^ this

nothing new here :slight_smile:

also, marrying opposite gender is pretty much like, what do you call that, fake marriage? idk ._.

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

^ Wearing a beard.

Oh, yes. The British sure did a load of good for China back then, didn't they? Opium, buggery laws, white colonial superiority...

5. Ticklish Fish

but look at hong kong! it's now much more liberal or something?
    though interestingly, i was a church kid in hong kong while most of my relatives either still worship dead people or dont give a fuck about religion

6. teluphone

Is Hong Kong really liberal as opposed the other parts of China LGBT acceptance?

7. Beware Of You

I know, sadly as others have said British buggery laws are to blame

8. Lewis

Didn't know Britain played such a large role in how today's society treats the LGBT community. Learn something new every day...

Quite disappointing.

9. hkboy93

HK is in general a lot more Liberal since we like to distance ourselves from mainland Chinese and hate being grouped as the same.

10. Willjarvis

Do they have similar heteronormal standards in China to the conservative West? An extremely sheltered girl from there I knew said that she was surprised that I cooked my own food as a male.

Whereas another Chinese student I knew dressed in "gay" clothes, watched Desperate Housewives, had limp wristed, "Oh you are awful" style mannerisms, said that he was too fat despite having a >30" waistline and cooked more than any the rest of us in the flat. He said that he wanted to get a girlfriend, get married and have a child or two, as his family expected and when our flatmate said that he was gay, he denied it. Moreover, he was studying the role of men in a predominantly female area of work for his dissertation and that was apparently his idea.

My point there is that by Western standards, many would assume that he's gay, but he denies that both in Britain and China. Does that mean it's acceptable for straight men to act like that where he comes from?

Do you think it has much to do with the laws concerning having children?

11. Ticklish Fish

this is like asking if some things european men do are gay... at least that's how i interpret it.

I have no idea how to answer you.

as for the Deseparate Housewives thing. It's just a show ._.
    I never understand why people categorize entertainment as gay or straight or whatever...
    It's interesting sometimes to see plot holes in a show, at least for me

#11 Ticklish Fish, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  12. Willjarvis

I'm not saying they are. I'm saying that things like that make people like my other flatmates at the time think that other people are gay and in the West, I would expect someone who doesn't want people to think that even if he is straight, to play it all down.

13. In general, almost all Chinese families believe that their kid is straight, no matter what. Traditional chinese families don't really correlate flamboyant mannerisms with being gay.

14. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

The British Empire brought 'buggery' laws with it wherever it went, and these have survived to this day in many former British colonial possessions.

For example 'buggery' laws inherited from the colonial era also still criminalize gay relationships in Caribbean nations like Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago.

15. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't know about China as much, but Japanese anime suggests that being an effeminate guy in Japan is not considered a sign that you're gay. I can only think of a few gay male anime characters off the top of my head, as opposed to many effeminate straight male characters.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The stereotype is that East Asian men are somehow less 'masculine' than their western counterparts (less body hair, smaller on average, emphasis on humility and restraint, etc). Sadly, I've seen this stereotype even from members in the gay community, assuming all Asian men are these asexual, effeminate ghosts.

Don't get me started on the ruckus made on another forum when the topic of Japanese men sitting down to urinate made.