1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think about LGBT people in the Military

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, May 25, 2013.

1. Beware Of You

So I am doing a Phd for next couple of years, however I may go back to the UK at some point, one thing that has interested me somewhat is signing up for the TA (Its what the Army Reserve is called in the UK) I fancy doing something useful in my free time and besides I would look cute in the uniform (!)

I was just wondering what is your opinion of LGBT guys in the military, we have had equal rights for nearly 20 years now (none of the DADT crap the US had).

2. Rexmond

I don't see anything wrong with or, or see any problems that it may cause, at least not here in the UK.

3. Vashta Nerada

I think of them the same as any person in the military, I have a lot of respect for them for putting their lives at risk for their country:grin:

4. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I had respect for them but I feel sorry for the rape of the men and women in the military and it doesn't go reported :frowning2:

5. Foxface

As a veteran of both active duty and reserve duty I am super pleased that we have finally made this step. If it offends some...well I think that is their problem. I can only hope there is no backlash

Foxface

6. MrBrightside

I dont think theres any issue. With something as crucial as the military its surely paramount to have a meritocracy, whoever can do the job best does it :slight_smile:

7. Hexagon

I think of LGBT people in the military the same as everyone else in the military: misguided.

8. Foxface

I ask this delicately and not personally offended...but why was I misguided when I joined?

Foxface

9. Beware Of You

Misguided? Why

10. Hexagon

I have issues with killing people.

11. RapidJoe

RapidJoe Guest

It's a step in the right direction defiantly. In the U.S Command now treats discrimination against LGBT service members with the same attention as they do with racism and sexism. There's zero tolerance for it. We're all named Joe and bleed OD Green, bottom line. As long as you do your job and aren't a dirt bag no one really cares. There was another gay Joe with me at Basic, no one treated us differently. Especially when we out shot them during BRM :wink:

12. Data

Data Guest

I just want to say this: Russmarine2014 "Your favorite gay Marine!"

Him and his boyfriend Matt are such a cute couple, and I don't see any practical reason why either one of them can't serve their country like a hetero guy.

13. Oxelotl

I'm fine with it. If anyone, gay or straight black or white, man or woman is going over to fight a war, for whatever effort r reason, for the good of the nation and by extension its people, then go nuts. I don't see why it is a debate people are still arguing about. Personally I feel like Rape in the military is the bigger issue we should be focusing on.

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think anyone who goes into a service devoted to killing is right, but LGBT people in the military are no different from the others, with the exception of the way they'll be mistreated in macho insecure male culture.

15. RainyViolinist

A lot of people have issues with killing people, but not everyone does. It'd be quite ignorant to say that there are no people that we need to be safe from, so until we find a way to make everyone play nice and not want to kill others, the military is here to stay.

16. kem

kem

I don't think anyone, gay or straight, man or woman, should be in the military. I'm a conscientious objector. Or, will be, in January 2014.

17. AKTodd

I think LGBT people should be free to do anything and everything straights do, including serving in the military.

Todd

18. Adi

Adi

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you do go through with it, don't ever mention that reason for joining to anyone.

19. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Arguments for general pro/anti-military aside (whether or not we have good guys with guns, there will be bad guys with guns) what's to say? If they are willing to lay down their lives in defense of others, they are heroes.

I'd just have issues trying not to make it obvious that I was checking out the young, toned guys. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Tic Code

I have no issue with it whatsoever. It's about time that we got that fixed over here in the US. If they're willing to lay down their lives for their country and the ones they love, then gay or straight they deserve to be in the military.