1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speech

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SooConfusedRN, May 25, 2013.

1. SooConfusedRN

I'm writing a speech on 'Why The LGBT Community should be given equal rights' and I was wondering what your opinions were, and whether i could use some details from your opinions? I mean, I know we'll all be for it, but i think i need some details.
    So far, I've written:

"We live in a world where equality is essential, and where lots of people have already been granted similar right. All women over the age of 21 were given the vote on May 7th 1928, and black people were allowed to vote in 1965, something that had never happened before. We also live in a world where the LGBT community is getting more and more accepted, and more people are 'coming out of the closet' so to speak.
    Women and men; black and white people; different religions and races... all of these have equal rights, such as the right to adopt. So why shouldn't the LGBT community?
    A large proportion of the United Kingdom is gay or bisexual. 1/10 people say they are gay or lesbian, and 1/20 say they are bisexual. Out of the UK's population, that is an average of 9477270 people.
    So, why is it fair that they aren't allowed the chance to get married, or adopt? So that the adopted children wouldn't be bullied? Ok, that's fair. But how is it fair that they aren't allowed to adopt because their children would be bullied, when they are being bullied and harassed themselves, and there's not a lot being done about it?"

That's what I have so far, and I kind of need a bit more, for it to be a persuasive speech between 3-5 minutes long? :help: me please? (*hug*)

2. Rexmond

You could mention a recent, yet crucial example: The gay marriage bill was passed in England! :slight_smile:

I could help you write the full speech if you'd like, or a draft copy with what you've got so far - to give you a rough idea, if it would help? Probably better coming from you because it's your own assignment.

Great topic though, and good luck!

3. SooConfusedRN

ooh yes, i would really like that Rexmond thank you!

4. Rexmond

I'll get to work on that now then, and no problem!

5. Hexagon

The thing is, I take this is from a british law point of view, gay people are allowed to adopt, and will soon be allowed to marry. And for the sake of completeness, there is also IVF and surrogacy.

You could also expand on defending the right of LGBT couples to adopt: Yes, some children might get bullied, but that happens to many children without LGBT parents, and it is not the parents who should change, but the bullies. Its a social issue which must be fixed by educating people, not by taking away people's rights. If the possibility that they might be bullied is a valid reason to prevent people from having children, perhaps reproduction should be illegal. Except thats stupid. So why deny children in care the right to parents, or parents the right to change the world in the most normal way possible: by raising a child.

Hope it goes well.

6. Rexmond

Do you have the actual task title? Or was it just to write a speech about anything?

7. SooConfusedRN

It's called a 'Syson' Speech, and we've had to do them for the past four years. This year, it is a persuasive speech, and yes we can write about anything. One of the boys in my class is speaking about lowering the age of when people can legally buy tobacco, for example.

8. Rexmond

'Why the LGBT Community should be given equal rights'

We live in a world where equality is essential, and where lots of people have already been granted similar right. All women over the age of 21 were given the vote on May 7th 1928, and black people were allowed to vote in 1965, something that had never happened before.

We also live in a world where the LGBT community is getting more and more accepted, and more people are 'coming out of the closet' so to speak.
    Women and men; black and white people; different religions and races... all of these have equal rights, such as the right to adopt. So why shouldn't the LGBT community?
    A large proportion of the United Kingdom is gay or bisexual. 1/10 people say they are gay or lesbian, and 1/20 say they are bisexual. Out of the UK's population, that is an average of 9477270 people.
    So, why is it fair that they aren't allowed the opportunity to adopt? So that the adopted children won't be bullied or discriminated against? Yes, some children may get bullied, but that happens to many children without LGBT parents, and it is not the fault of the parents but the bullies. It is they who should suffer, they are in the wrong. It's a social issue which must be fixed by educating people, not by taking away people's rights. If the possibility that they might be bullied is a valid reason to prevent people from having children, perhaps reproduction should be illegal. Except that's stupid. So why deny children in care the right to parents, or parents the right to change the world in the most normal way possible: by raising a child. Adoption should not be a prerogative for heterosexual couples, but for all willing couples, and sexual preference should not be a factor that has any part in denying or accepting a couple their right to parent.

The gay marriage bill has recently been passed in England, which further shows that LGBT acceptance is becoming greater as time passes. It is slowly becoming a normal part of society, and so there is no need to continue to deprive homosexual couples of children. It's discrimination. You wouldn't do it to straight foster parents, so you shouldn't do it to gay ones. Two male parents, two female parents or one one male and female parent. The difference it makes to child? Little to none. Equality in society starts from equality in the family, which ultimately starts from you.

9. SooConfusedRN

thank you so much :grin: i will play around with that, but ultimately you are amazing, really!

10. Rexmond

I could have done a lot better, and besides you done most of the work, and I just adapted what Hexagon said really. Sorry if it's too short, I wasn't sure what else to write. I'm sure you'll be able to fix it up and get the grade you deserve. :wink:

11. SooConfusedRN

its great actually, i'll play around with it