1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you belive that our dreams mean something?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JPC, May 25, 2013.

1. JPC

JPC Guest

I've been having this recurring dream lately that's always extremely vivid. The general plot of said dream is that I have a girlfriend (The girlfriend in the dream is an acquaintance of mine, and while she is beautiful, I'm not in anyway attracted to her) But this really attractive random guy keeps trying to get me to go out with him and I keep turning him down, eventually he stops asking me and starts dating a friend of mine (who happens not only to be straight, but very homophobic). I get jealous, we have a huge fight, he asks me to go out with him again but I still turn him down

Lots more happens within the dream but that is the basic gist of it. The reason I think it's odd is that it always involves me turning this guy down and staying with this girl (I also don't understand why it's this one girl in particular as I don't particularly like her as a person either) I feel like I've fully come to terms with the fact that I'm gay and have accepted it, but this dream has me wondering whether a part of me is still trying to reject it.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is whether or not you think our dreams have any real significance or is it just random nonsense that we see in our sleep?

2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    I believe that dreams are a combination of random and inner thoughts we have in the back of our mind,and thinks that deep inside trouble us but without noticing them all the time,either because our mind is full of other thoughts that hide the inner thoughts,or because our mind thinks they are not important and ''fades'' them.But when our mind is empty at sleeping,the inner thoughts have no ''obstacles'' to come out,so we see them as a dream.

---------- Post added 25th May 2013 at 03:26 PM ----------

Things*

3. Rexmond

I recently watched a couple of videos on why we dream, and if I remember it's just our brain trying to get rid of information we don't need. Explains why I never remember my dreams, but the ones I do - I don't think that there is any meaning behind it.

4. smartsunny

i feel some dreams really must be significant... but then others seem like crap...hmm i wonder

5. Hexagon

I believe that some dreams can reflect elements of our lives or things in our subconscious, and other times their just random shit. I certainly don't thing theres any supernatural significance to dreams or anything.

If you want my advice, though, just get on with your life. If theres a part of you that wont accept your sexuality, then that part has to mature, and it will do so with experience. If its just random shit, then its of no consequence anyway.

6. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recurring dreams, in my opinion, are pretty much guaranteed to mean something pretty important about you. But each person's symbolism is unique, so you're the best qualified to figure out what it means.

When I was in elementary school I had a recurring dream about a long, twisty, narrow staircase with no railings. As I climbed up it, I was terrified of falling, but kept telling myself eventually I'd get to the top and go through the door and be safe. But when I did get to the top, there'd just be a blank wall, and I'd have to turn back. On the way back down, I always ended up falling off.

In my case, I realized the staircase dream was a metaphor for how I felt in school. No matter how hard I tried, things only ever seemed to get worse, not better. But it was a long time after those dreams had stopped (because of homeschooling) that I figured out the connection.

7. kb123

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I believe that all dreams have a meaning. But you shouldn't take them at face value. Certain things in your dream can just be resembling other things. Like, your relationship with the girl, could just be representing your feelings for someone, not necessarily that person that your dreaming about.
    Also, the fact that your remembering this dream, and having it over and over, I think means something. You just have to figure out what your subconscious is trying to tell you.
    Hope that helped at all. :slight_smile:

8. Foxface

Absolutely. During internship as a Jungian therapist I performed dream interpretation quite a bit with some clients

I believe they help us access things that we may not be ready to face yet or are unaware of. They are a reflection and symbol of sorts

Foxface

9. Britishskittles

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Mine are often symbolism of what I don't want to deal with in the real world , I keep dreaming of coming out to family at the moment night after night probably cause I need to face it and do it

10. I really hope not, or else I have some serious problems I need to work out -.-

11. Foxface

I wouldn't guess that about you or anyone. Dreams can sometimes have extreme symbolism to make a simpler point. I have found in my experiences that dreams are just the way of telling you what's in your psyche to be deat with

I had a client whose dream involved murder and basically boiled down to some issues with certain family members

Foxface

12. DelFelidae

I certainly think dreams can have meaning. I think that dreams are the product of information that we store form both our environment and our own subconscious. Subconsciously, therefore I think dreams can reveal thoughts that we might be having about ourselves or the people that surround us, yet we suppress these thoughts during our daily life, perhaps due to denial or other factors. However, I in no way think dreams are literal, I think they are purely symbolic representations of what we may be feeling. So, might need some decryption.
    Environmentally, I think this effects what we dream too. I think we incorporate aspects of our environment into our dreams. This might be physical environment, like your home or town, or emotional environment. E.g. watch a scary movie and fall asleep, you might have a scary dream.
    On the other hand, I don't believe all dreams are necessarily important. Some might be just junk we've incorporated into our subconscious which doesn't really serve any purpose.

13. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure, they're nerve impulses running through your brain while it's in "reset and rearrange" mode. One could argue that the dreams one has during this time is a glimpse into one's subconscious (i.e., your brain is running through your thoughts without the conscious filter you have whilst being awake), but we don't know enough about what the hell happens during sleep (well, we do know, we just don't know quite what the hell it means).

Or it could just be recycled thoughts that have for some reason been threaded into a sometimes fuzzy, or sometimes vivid self-storytelling period within your only relatively conscious mind. "Brain farts," as some people refer to them.

Time will tell on the question of whether there's a more definitive answer to be had.

(added edit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Or it could be an inception-like, sci-fi style convergence of multiple universes converging on one another during a state of linked consciousness between the "you of this universe" and the "you of one of many alternate universes."

Or it's the conscious of your former self, since you were reincarnated at some point, and did in fact live in a different era, and in so viewing this you are merely remembering your former self.

Or it's both those put together. "You," meaning your entity that constitutes you at multiple periods of time in multiple universes, within multiple states of frame of mind. Which would explain why some dreams are "fuzzy" (you're a fly in that dream), and some are fascinatingly "vivid" (obviously you're a being with intelligence beyond that of human beings in this one).

Or! Well, we could go on forever with this now couldn't we? :grin:

(can you tell I have a parent who's really into to sci-fi, "do we live in alternative realities"-type books?) :roflmao:

#13 Browncoat, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  14. Spurned

Spurned Guest

Sometimes they are random, but I remember my ex having a recurring dream since he was 5 after his abusive father left or something similar. He used to be running down an alley near his house with some sort of human/wolf (aka werewolf) chasing him and then it caught up to him, pinned him down and my ex stared into the wolfs yellow eyes before waking up. It used to happen so many times in a night and he never slept enough.

I researched it and found it meant he had pent up anger he couldn't release and possibly didn't notice it was there. Of course, he never listened to me and we broke up then he and his friends anonymously called me giving me abuse up until the day before my birthday when I finally answered. ANYWAY, I do think sometimes they have a hidden meaning, more likely when recurring for a while. I sometimes research mine and realise it's something linked to what I'm going through, though I rarely remember my dreams. I think you have an average of four in a night but it can be difficult to remember one.

15. rg93

Scientifically, the dumbed down version (I think) says that dreams are caused by the noise or brain makes while it sorts through the thoughts and memories of the day before, what to transfer into long term and what to leave out. The brain tries to make sense of the noise and that's what causes you to see images and here sounds.

16. Ticklish Fish

i just had this sci fi plot kind of dream :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. dannyboy15

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It really depends on the dream, sometimes it seems like they make no sense at all but other times you end up thinking about them & something happens!