1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yale Student Engages in Shocking Self-Induced Abortion Art Display

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ty, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Ty

Ty Guest

New Haven, CT (LifeNews.com) -- A Yale University art student is causing a national controversy with her senior art project that revolves around self-induced abortions. Aliza Shvarts says she artificially inseminated herself “as often as possible" in order to become pregnant and self-induced an abortion with the dangerous RU 486 drug.

Article here.

Opinions? Discuss.

2. Nitro

That is disgusting and morally repugnant! Her claim that "it’s not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone" is either proof that she has lost touch with the world, but more likely a terrible lie. While I cannot think of any law that she may have violated, this does not agree with me. Abortion should be a last line of defense, not some boundary to recklessly violate multiple times. I hope that her "work" is not well received lest others try to imitate it.

3. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I'm not sure what artistic merit the piece has, but, having not seen it, I can't really judge. I am pro-choice with abortion, especially in early weeks, so I guess I would say I support her right to make the piece. I find it strange, but in my belief she has not killed anyone and therefore it's her choice. It certainly makes an interesting statement.

4. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I don't know why people are making such a big fuss. It's her body so their her eggs....if she chooses to develop them and kill them before they are born then that is her own problem. But the thing is people consider the fetus already a human once it is developing. So I think the argument lies their with her "killing" innocent babies.

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's certainly an unusual way to produce art, but I don't really have any personal problems with it. The website, being heavily anti-abortion, biased the article to include more negative statements about the piece than positive, and I was particularly concerned with the following comment:

Not only does it bother me when people tell others what they should be ashamed of, it also bothers me that apparently offensive material doesn't constitute as art and should not been seen by the public. Out the window with that. I respect everyone's right to offend, and if a piece of art stirs up controversy I say show it to as many people as possible. Touchy-feely political correctness drives me up the wall.

6. pirateninja

Freedom of Speech, yadda yadda

It is her body, it is her art project and she should be free to do it. Wander makes a good point. Just because something is contraversial, doesn't make it bad *cough* South Park *cough*. I am pro-choice, but I do think that aborting fetuses at later stages when they are more developed is wrong, however I get the impression that she is aborting them reasonably early.

I am an art student myself, and I have seen some pretty strange stuff in galleries; this one doesn't top it I'm afraid. (Weirdest one I've EVER seen is mutilated genitals floating in preservative) So to be honest, I'm not too shocked by this. She is doing what she wants to do, making the point she wants to make, and who is anybody to stop her?

7. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hmm, i'm kinda in two minds about this.

While I am pro-choice and also believe in freedom of speech and artistic expression, I do feel that part of the motivation behind this work is shock value and therefore notoriety. It also could be described as cheapening to the pro-choice agenda.

I would like to re-iterate that i fully support a woman's right to choose as well as freedom of artistic expression. This may become an issue so contentious however, that it overshadows both of these social concepts and ignites further conservative fury and therefore, another conservative backlash.

RFB

8. jroakwood

i support her, and her art.

9. Kat22

As someone who has been told that I cannot have children, I had to finish bawling before I could write this post. I am NOT someone who cries easily at all. She is so lucky that she can give the gift of creating life, and what does she do with it? Crush the life to get the most attention of any art student in the country, if not world this year for her art project. I also hated that the article said that she had videos of the miscarriages. No, she had videos of the abortions. There is a BIG difference. Now I'm not saying I'm against abortion, but I'm not saying I'm for it either. That is beyond the point. I am against what she has done 100%. I haven't been this angered or upset in a long time. . . . :tears: :tears: :tears:

10. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that I was too ambiguous with my previous post and would like to extend my sympathies to Kat22.
    What this art student has done effectively is make light of the decision to abort. As i have now stated quite emphatically, I am PRO-CHOICE and PRO FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION. However, the mere ability to create a piece such as this really paints the often painful decision to abort and the pro-choice and creative agendas as not only degenerate but whimsical and all for notoriety. I believe that the religious right will use this piece as a form of defense for their pro-life and oppressive regime.

RFB

11. Grof142007

wow that interesting i would love to see her art

12. Kat22

I apologize for making damagedone feel bad. I was not mad at anyone for their opinions. What would empty closets be if we didn't respect everyone's opinions?

Abortions (again I will not state whether I am for or against) are for women who made a mistake, women who were raped, and for women who because of health issues need to abort the baby. This woman did not make a mistake. She purposely got pregnant so she could get an abortion. That's not what abortions were created for, thus where my sadness comes from. Many women who have gotten abortions, while they may be the best choice for them at that point in their lives, have very a hard time post-abortion emotionally. The woman who made this art did not take into consideration anyone's feelings, no matter what her freedoms may be...

13. sdc91

I'm pro-choice, but only when used in responsible situations. Having abortions for the sake of art, in my book, is not acceptable.

14. I was actually thinking about this as I read it. She's lucky enough to be able to create life and she severely takes it for granted. What about other people who would kill to be able to have kids and can't. I don't want to turn this into an argument or anything and I support a woman's right to choose but doing it "as often as possible" and repeatedly is abusing that right. I'm sorry, there has to be a line somewhere and she's crossing it.

15. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I'm sorry that Kat22 can't have children and I understand why she finds this woman offensive therefore. But that fact is, by having abortions, the student isn't taking away others' fertility. She is lucky enough to be fertile and she has decided to use that fertility to create this art project. It doesn't affect anybody else, although it may seem sad and ironic, and so it's her choice. It's like saying that someone who could be a pro swimmer but decides not to when others would love to be able to is taking it for granted. No, they're not, they're just living their lives in the way they want, as is their right.

16. Leigh

Leigh Guest

i cant believe that shes not causing her body some kind of harm

17. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Great posts. My thoughts aswell.

18. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    while she may not be taking away others fertility and of course it is her body, however merely having the ability to do something does not make it an imperative. Abortions are not generally undertaken lightly and to repeatedly perform them for the sake of 'art' which I highly contest by the way that this piece could be anything other than sensationalist shock tactics not only undermines the rights of women to have abortions but also the artistic community who make a valid social comment with their work. The concept of I do it because I can as she has basically said, is unartistic it requires no creative thought at all.

RFB

19. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This just in...
    it was a hoax

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,351608,00.html

her justification was poor. I agree with the final statement; "Anybody who trivializes a woman’s choice to terminate a pregnancy is really not contributing anything positive to these matters,"

RFB

20. Ty

Ty Guest

Biased Fox is Biased.