1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Subtle gender discrimination everywhere.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aussie792, May 26, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today, I filled out my college application form (in the ACT, college is the last two years of high-school), and the form had male or female options only, and it was required. Apart from the fact that they already have student information at the department anyway (you submit your name, student number etc.), isn't that unacceptable for those who don't identify with either of the main two genders? It isn't an issue that personally affects me, but I still think that it's not right, and unnecessary; they didn't ask for religion and ethnicity/culture either, and those are just as important (if not more so) as gender.
    And that made me think about it. Gender segregation is everywhere, be it necessary (and that's a debatable point in itself) or not.

2. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Yeah, my college is more advanced than others in the LGBTQ front, especially considering it's a Christian college. Yet they still include the male/female only options in forms, with no other demographical questions. Strange. :/