1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is the world ready for openly gay singer?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by neverover, Apr 18, 2008.

1. neverover

in this context, i mean gay male, cause lesbians duo, such as t.A.T.u, most likely to be called 'hot' by straight dudes, which kinda help album sales. not to mention that lesbians is more likely to be approved by society.
    and i mean a new artist, not an already steady fan base singer such as elthon or michael.
    i personally think, if the music is good, it doesnt matter if hes gay or not. what do u think?

2. Ty

Ty Guest

Well if the music's good and he's not constantly reminding the press of his sexuallity, sure why not?

3. Starlight

Starlight Guest

Sure thing, just as long their sexuality isn't used as an excuse for things then I wouldn't have a problem with it.

4. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, the world does have a few openly gay male singers, elton john for instance. However, if you're talking about openly gay singers/musicians with credibility then i'm not sure. There are alot of great punk/queercore groups around with open and honest band members.
    You're right though, groups like t.a.t.u. which presented a fetishised version of gay lifestyle and sexuality from a lesbian perspective are easier to sell (at least to the straight male market). This is not a general rule though as if you take away the skimpy clothes and give them a more dowdy appearance people stop listening, half the time its just image.

RFB

5. STK

STK Guest

Well I might be the first openly gay guy in a death metal band...

6. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Well, there's Will Smith who was a recent new singer in the UK who's gay. I think he crashed a burned, but that was because he sucked, not because he was gay.

And tatu aren't lesbians. That whole "lesbians are more accepted by society" is getting a bit old. So tatu got ogled and jeered at by straight guys, instead of getting beaten up and jeered at like a gay male group would. Hooray! ...? Gay men and lesbians to some extent face different obstacles and prejudices from society. But just saying that lesbians get an easy deal is over-simplified imho.

7. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had forgotten that the girls from tatu were in fact straight but i only serves to back my point that fetishised lesbianism sells better than queer males. Will Young the openly gay pop-star over here in the U.K. did have a career and was out was quite apolgetic with it, he made one campy video and then declared that he still could be with women. He was a publicity whore and when the gay thing didnt really sell well enough he tried bisexuality, at least that's what I think his reasoning for it was.

There is, if you're interested face smasher, a gay fantasy metal/hardcore group named assacre out there you might wanna check them out.http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=2788069

There is alot of homophobia directed towards gay men and women in the band setting (as opposed to pop-stars). If any of you are interested in what was called the queercore/homocore scene there are loads of groups around who championed the position of gay rights and stereotyping within the alternative music scene.

check out; fifth column, los crudos, behead the prophet, team dresch, the dead betties, triple creme, extra fancy, the butchies, pansy division, three dollar bill, gina young, iamloved, tribe 8, Tough Tough Skin, pariah piranha, davies vs. dresch, nomy lamm, the need, sta-prest, cypher in the snow.....

RFB

8. Leigh

Leigh Guest

will young??/

i know hes not exactly recent :|

9. CrimsonThunder

Highly doubtful lol.

As already pointed out there are lots of gay singers, the one from Wham comes to mind. ;P And Tatu arent lesbians. XD

Thers that "what what in the butt" guy. He phails just for being too gay.

10. Rette

Gay singer with credibility? Try Owen Pallett, aka Final Fantasy. Although I'm willing to bet he's unheard of overseas, he's done a LOT of work in the indie music scene, especially in Canada (just check his Wikipedia), and has a successful solo career. Plus, his stuff is just good.

11. panda

Freddy Mercury

12. sexyalex

i know many already :dry:

13. total mo

total mo Guest

I would love to see a hollywood type gay celebrity who has always been gay, not like lanc bass, or ryan seacrest.

14. damagedone

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sorry, I should probably clarify what I meant by credible. While I believe that open gay men such as Mercury were credible as artists or worthy of note in both the artistic and social forums, I discount the contributions of performers such as Will Young and TATU. Firstly, TATU were a media stunt, we all know this. Their emergence and success was based primarily on the gimmick of lesbian sexuality, and Will Young is apologetic with his often discounting it by referring to himself as being open to sex with women. This does not mean that I in some way disbelieve his homosexuality or bisexuality. I do feel that, that statement in particular was part of a marketing ploy as it came at low point in his career. It didnt work of course and now he has no career lol.
    When I refer to the dead betties or team dresch as being credible musicians/artists. What I mean is that not only have they been openly queer but they have also avoided alot of the cultural trappings of what it means to be gay in a modern sense. Partly this is due to their involvement within such musical subcultures as punk which has been less than accepting of gay lifestyles.

15. total mo

total mo Guest

we wouldve had a gay singer if the gay american idol wasnt cut out. i forgot his name.

16. EthanS

EthanS Guest

will smith??? u mean will young?? lol

17. neverover

well, i actually mean the mainstream major label artist. and i mean in hollywood...
    and yes, tatu arent lesbian, but when they first came to the music industry, they make a blast. i think tatu is one of the biggest one hit wonder ever (yes, they made few albums later, but its not as booming as their debut)

18. crimsonarcher

I know that a member of the famous-wide known Mexican band RBD that is both gay and male.

19. SamAlex728

HELLS YEAH!
    i luv queen
    :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg
    wait was he openly gay? as far as i know he wasnt openly gay for quite a while
    anyways, YES
    :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

20. RENThead

i read this and thought anthony callea...

though i wouldnt call him credibal..
    his fan base is idol fans, and young girls. but he will get old soon.