1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are ways u study ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Unsurevirgin, May 27, 2013.

1. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Hi how is everyone's weekend been? Mine was okay I got the job at the bakery !!!! :slight_smile: so anyway I need to go back to college and get my business degree but math has been a pain in my neck . And biology also so what are ways u study ? Any tricks to help u memorize everything and get str8 A's ?? Btw 19 yr old asking not an old person haha

2. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Congrats on getting that job...:slight_smile:

But why do you need to study biology for a business degree? :icon_ques

3. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

Nice job getting the job! I usually just do alot of examples in the textbook or just write down things that I have to memorize for the test. Writing down stuff when I'm studing helps me a lot, because it seems to makes it easier to recall.

4. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I study by just reading the material over & over.

5. Spurned

Spurned Guest

Grats on the job! This is probably the worst advice, but I study what I enjoy and the things I know I'm not good at and don't enjoy I usually just don't study it.

E.g I dislike Physics, I was failing anyway because I couldn't grasp it so I haven't revised for it, instead I've worked hard at English because I'm good in the subject and I do well. Never had straight A's but I was far better at it than Physics.

There's lots of ways to study something. The thing that we got bickered at (ironically given tips on how to revise a few days before our major exams began, half of which were done the year before) was were we listeners/watchers, doers or readers. Do we like to read the work from textbooks, listen/watch the work or like to do the work hands on.

Again, e.g, doing maths problems on a piece of paper that you've set out, or maybe from a past paper, a doer. Listening/watching, maths4u is a series of GCSE (English/British exams) video where they show you how to do the maths (I'm sure there's videos for what you need) Then there's readers, just reading how to work it out by a textbook.

Those are the main three, from what I've gathered, I suggest trying those ways and see what sticks in your mind the most! :grin: There's also probably tests online on which is the best for you, but we did it on a powerpoint in school.

6. Ticklish Fish

for math, do problems until you understand how to interpret a bunch of numbers and do whatever the hell you should do with them.

for biology, sometimes u need to draw figures to know what each thing is called, and then what each thing does.

7. AlamoCity

For math, repetition is key. Work out many different problems.

For bio, I like mnemonics. For instance, when I first learned the chambers of the heart, I made a story: Ra (the Egyptian god) took an RV from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Which is right atrium, right ventricle, left atrium, left ventricle.

A funny one (just to me, I guess) was with the blood pressure regulating system of the body. I figured that if you get shot, you might lose blood volume and if you get shot, you might say, "RAAS" (as in RATS!), and RAAS in my mind was the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system.

This of course made perfect sense in my brain, but obviously not to everyone. Use your knowledge of other subjects to make stories, concept plans, and mnemonics.

8. Hexagon

Me... I usually procrastinate until after I'm supposed to be asleep, take one look at the page, decide I'm too tired and go to sleep, wake up the next morning not having had enough sleep, and take the test. Its worked okay so far.

9. justjade

I'm not great at math either. What I do is just do problems over and over again until I can fully grasp how they work. It also helps if I can use a formula to figure out something that directly applies to my life. I find that it helps to not only know how a problem works but how it is useful.

Biology is also hard for me. I have weird ways of remembering things. I have a way of remembering where the femoral artery is that I think is pretty whitty:

It's called the femoral artery because it's immoral to touch the inside of a stranger's thigh. It may not help you, but it works for me.

I also heard a great way to remember why HDL and LDL cholesterol are good and bad respectively in one of the classes I'm taking:

HDL stand for High-Density Lipoproteins. They are high-density like bowling balls, so they roll through your blood vessels and knock everything out of the way to allow for good blood flow. LDL stands for Low-Density Lipoproteins. They are low-density like ping pong balls and get stuck in small spaces. They don't eliminate blockages because they're not dense enough.

The scientific word for chewing is mastication, but I just remember that one because it's a funny-sounding word in my opinion.

Sometimes, having a knowledge of Latin and Greek roots can be helpful.

I hope these help. I wish you the best of luck!

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not study so much as review, and I do best working in short bursts. Since I'm an introvert and a linguistic/visual learner, I need my alone time to read and write so the material feels 'natural'. After that, it pretty much sticks until the end of the semester.

11. Hiems

For any course, you can check your campus for tutors. Having another person explain concepts in a different way than your professor may help you understand the lecture material better. But for it to be a productive session, I suggest bringing questions in advance rather than showing up there and saying "I don't get this class", "This subject sucks", or any variation of that.

Math definitely requires doing practice problems. If you did all the practice problems assigned to you by your professor and want some extra ones, then try googling for them, and make sure that they have an answer key.

Biology is a tough one - it's my worst subject (I'm much better at general chemistry/organic chemistry). I had to think of various strategies to make sure that I remembered and understood the content. If you're looking to understand cycles, you could google or check YouTube for videos. Again, a concept explained in a different, and perhaps more intelligible manner, could clear misconceptions.

Sometimes rote memorization is required, so here are some tips. For definitions and concepts, index cards will be your best friend. As mentioned before, make mnemonics where you can. Chunking material in this way generally improves its retention. You could make up one for the biological taxa, which are usually asked for on exams/quizzes in introductory biology courses. Finally, I rewrite my notes. It allows me to have a clean copy, as my original notes can be messy. And I just find that writing stuff helps with retention. Then I read them afterward.

12. Ticklish Fish

oh yeah, for biology, i use pervy mneomics, like "king Henry comes over for good sex" :wink:

If I were an enzyme, I would be DNA helicase and unzip your genes

13. AlamoCity

I could have sworn it was "king Phillip comes over for good sex :icon_bigg."

14. Hiems

They're probably gen eds. I'm a pharmacy major, yet I have to take the most irrelevant courses ever b/c they're just part of the curriculum to fulfill some learning criteria set by my university, such as humanities, sociology, etc. Not that I have anything against those courses, as they are usually easy A's, but they are still time consuming. I have other things that I need to study for too >_<

15. Ticklish Fish

I had to take intro to ethics for my major. I have to say, it's really eye opening and helps me to get over most of my religion past :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    some humanities/ social classes aren't bad ya know

---------- Post added 28th May 2013 at 12:04 AM ----------

OMG, IM SORRY.
    KING HENRY was something for like, metric system

16. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

I don't but the last time I got to college it was a must for a prerecquestive so that's why I asked .

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 10:00 PM ----------

Omg that I could do thank u :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 10:02 PM ----------

Thank u very much :slight_smile: appreciate the help :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 10:05 PM ----------

Thank u :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 10:06 PM ----------

---------- Post added 27th May 2013 at 10:07 PM ----------