1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay people acknowledging each other (gaydar)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Joe54321, May 28, 2013.

1. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is a boy in my school, we have never spoke but every time we pass our eyes meet its strange, I will admit that he is very attractive and good looking but is there more behind it. Recently I came across the knowledge that he is gay. Could there be an underlying 'gaydar' that makes us acknowledge each other or is it sheer coincidence? I would be interesting to hear of peoples views and whether they have experienced the same thing.

2. rg93

I've never had any experience with this. But I'm open to the idea of it being possible! Scientifically seen, people give off a bit of an aura of attention when they're attracted to someone which you can pretty much see if you pay lots of attention to the other. So yes, looking a bit longer when your eyes meet or occasionally being unnecessarily close to someone can get noticed if said person has a crush on you :slight_smile: but I'm not sure about the science of that gaydar tactic with people who aren't interested/attracted.

And now to the important bit: are you gonna ask him out? :grin:

3. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    haha I don't even know him very well I should at least speak to him first. Scientifically I wander whether anyone has tested the idea.

4. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish i had this gaydar in my head xD That would make my life so much easier :frowning2:

5. AParker

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Some think That people who are "Gay" can almost sense each other. I had a similar experience once when there was this girl at my school who was beautiful, but everytime i was around her i got a strange vibe. Kinda like I could trust her (I know that sounds like BS but it is true) the closer friends we became I figured out that she was actually Bisexual. So yes, I do think it is possible. Though you cant always just rely on your Gaydar to find the special guy :wink:

6. Pain

Pain Guest

That's what it is, yo. I think that the 'eye-contact' method is more of a signal of attraction, but essentially, yes.

7. Candace

I can sense it. Since I am like them, I can tell hahaha.

8. TSN2012

"Could there be an underlying 'gaydar' that makes us acknowledge each other or is it sheer coincidence?"

From my experience, the answer is a definite yes. Like AParker said, "some think That people who are Gay can almost sense each other." This is definitely the case for me. There are many people at my school who haven't come out of the closet, and I haven't come out of the closet myself. But sometimes when I walk pass these people (and I have never even spoken to them before) we always give each other these 'weird' looks (definitely not a "oh i have a crush on you" or "you are cute" kind of look) but a "Don't hide, you are definitely gay" suspicious kind of look. And I'm 99.9% sure that they are gay. But the thing is, I thought that every gay person has gaydar? No? :S
    There was also this Youtube blogger and I saw only one of his videos and I was like "he's definitely gay." And four days ago I checked his channel again and he made a video about 'coming out of the closet.'
    So yeah.. haha.

9. Ticklish Fish

my gaydar is broken, would you mind to deliver a free one? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Or tell me when the next "free gaydar lottery" is?

10. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

I think every gay person gives off a slight signal or sign that they are 'gay' even if it's just a small thing. I'm not entirely sure but with some people you just know and with others its when you get to know them better.

Like a friend at work. Her son is gay so she has a an advantage I suppose but before I told her. She said she already knew and when I asked her how she said "I don't know, its just certain things you do, little things"

But I dunno... my gaydar is broken so I really don't know unless it is obvious

11. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Me too. OMG, there was this girl that I kissed once and she knew me from school and she was like "oh, I always knew you were gay" and I was like "wot" I didn't really notice her at school, but still... I wonder how many other people think I'm gay lol. Probs a lot.

ALSO sometimes I'm like "okay, she is a lesbian, I'm certain of it" and then the girl isn't haha. It's stupid, but I guess sometimes I make mistakes just because I'm interested in the girl.

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The trouble with my Gaydar, is I am surrounded by Straight People, I see Straight people everywhere Lol, I don't know which ones are in the closet or not, my crush holds eye contact with me & there is some kind of Chemistry between us, but he is engaged to a girl, so I don't know (*hug*)

13. AAASAS

I'm in the closet to my friends, and one of my buddies girlfriend is friends with a gay dude that comes around every once and a while, but he is so stereotypical that I really don't feel we have any connection or way of noticing eachother. He pretty much treats me like any of the other guys and tries to be super nice to me I guess for acceptance, which is weird because I know how he would feel but he doesn't know I am gay.

I get the eye lock and gay feeling more with guys that I feel are straight for sure, most gay men I meet I treat like another girl almost; no offence, but I'm not attracted or interested in them so it is easier for me to be buddy buddy with them I guess, which kind of eliminates any chance of us acknowledging eachother because A ) I just can't relate B) I feel too different from them that they are almost another type of gay, and C ) I'm in the closet so I get treated like a straight guy therefore connection is already lost.

I really do feel a disconnect from a lot of gay people; I respect everyone and am comfortable with anyone based on their sexuality, but I find if a gay guy is stereotypical I am going to fly under their radar because I'm not attracted to that and really do put them on another level or type of gay; and I think the non-attraction is what makes it easier to be comfortable around and not have the chance of holding eye contact.

*P.S I think a lot of stereotypical gay guys seem like fun people to be around so I wasn't knocking them and admire that they can be themselves, but the lack of attraction really is what eliminates the gaydar, as said I tend to only get gay acknowledgement signals from guys that are straight ; or in the closet and I don't know.

14. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have come to feeling that there is probably no such thing as a gaydar as you or I may imagine but more noticing a mutual attraction as rg 93 talked about this in sense could be said to be a gaydar. Try think less of some sort of talent naming every persons sexuality but using certain ideas, eye contact whether they are draped in a rainbow flag :icon_wink you can have a good guess that someone may be gay.

15. Rexmond

My gaydar is, as of now, 100% accurate.

I've only had it ping twice, but it worked both times. :slight_smile:

16. King

King Guest

I'm beginning to think my gaydar is a lot better than I ever gave it credit for... I've managed to operate under the assumption that certain people are gay/bi and I've been right every time.

I don't know why or how I know, I just... "feel" it? It sounds so stupid. But sometimes it's not even stereotypical things, it's just the way they say certain things and do certain things. One guy I knew was bisexual from the moment I met him, but he doesn't come off as feminine or anything - just the way he'd talk to me and act around me and the things he'd do to me that sort of gave it away.

I don't invest much into my gaydar, though. I can only assume.

17. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like everyone knows im gay sometimes,people around give me weird looks sometimes,and they are like ''Oh,we know youre gay..WE AAAALLLL KNNOOOOOWWWWWWWW...MUAGHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA'' ..it makes me feel awkward.

18. Horizoneyes

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it comes to how social groups form, there's definitely a semi-subconscious force that makes you seek out people you'll feel accepted by and be safe around. This goes for all people. When it comes to gay people, then it just happens to be that other gay people are who most of us feel more comfortable around; At least in our high school years. At that time, most of us aren't out yet and thus to avoid detection, we refrain from massing in swarm :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Which leads to the suspicion and glances in the hallway, etc.
    I think that's not really gaydar though, I think that falls under a broader form of "-dar" that vies for our individual survival.

When I was in high school it seemed like my particular group of friends attracted the majority of the lgbt people in the school. There were 3-5 gay people at any given time. Of course, then, none of us were really out to even ourselves, and even more people I was friends with have recently come out, but the point is that raindrops always run together and form a puddle.

19. Alexander69

I can usually tell if someone is gay I just get this... Idk if its a vibe that's given off. Now wether they like me I can't tell

20. casjuan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    true that