1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for Matric vacation?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PlutonianShore, May 28, 2013.

1. PlutonianShore

It's been quite some time since I last posted, but I couldn't think of a better place to turn for advice. So here goes.

The South African school calendar is divided into 4 terms consisting of 3 months with holidays of variable length (though not exceeding a month) interspersed between each term. For us seniors (or Matrics), the entire 4th term is spent on writing our final examinations. What follows is a long vacation usually between 3-4 months before starting at varsity. This long period of time we refer to as 'Matriekvakansie' or Matric vacation.

Now the norm for more freshly graduated high school seniors to do in this time is to go to Plett Rage, a huge party event held in Plettenberg Bay, sort of like Burning Man for future freshmen. However, the way I see it, it's more of an excuse to get wasted and see how many times you can get laid (with your parents' blessing of course).

Others go spend their vacation overseas.

So my problem is this: I'm unsure what to do.

Besides the fact that a huge party isn't really my scene, there are a few obstacles. I have to arrange my own accommodation or otherwise ask to share a house with a group of people already going, something which I doubt they are willing to consent to (After all, who feels comfortable sharing a room with a gay guy who might or might not attempt to drug you and rape you. I mean, honestly :/....). I'm also too scared to ask my friends who are going, since they know it isn't really my thing and I might down the vibe. And what am I going to tell my mother? That I'm going to a party where participation in every manner of depraved hedonism is a prerequisite? If she does allow me to go, however, she'll probably give me the 'I trust your integrity and good judgement'-speech which'll guilt-trip me into cancelling any way of letting loose and actually having a good time.

Furthermore, I don't really think we'll have the funds to support an overseas trip near the end of the year. And I'm also scared of trekking into the foreign unkown alone. I've heard too many stories of people disappearing and overseas jurisdiction just not giving a f* to investigate.

I don't know...has anyone been in such dilemmas before? If so, how did you manage it?

2. mars95

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know this is a (very) late response but I am in the same situation as you. With four weeks to go there is probably not much one could actually do but I thought this warranted a response. I am going to the Ballito Rage and staying with some friends. I am only out to one person in my group so I suppose it's a bit better. Is it the right choice I don't know? What did you eventually choose?

3. lukeluvznicki13

Speak to your closest friends and see what they have planned. I'm sure they would love for you to go along and just relax after all the stressful matric examinations :astonished:!

Even if your friends know it isn't your thing, just say that you really want to do something fun which will help ease out from the bombardment and stress that you had from exams.

And since you are 18, and your school life is practically over and you should be an independent man, just tell your mom that you want to go and just say that your friends will be there and that there won't be trouble etc etc. :slight_smile:

These are just my ideas but I'm not entirely experienced around it so...good luck :grin: