1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do in New York on a rainy day?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Shyguy5, May 28, 2013.

1. Shyguy5

I'm on my 10 day class trip to New York and I don't know what to do here. I went exploring yesterday when it was sunny. Today, it's been raining all day and all I did was visit the Nw York Public library because its only a 13min walk from the hotel.

2. Hexagon

Well I've never been to new york, but if I had to guess, I'd say the same as anywhere else: Stay in and use the internet.

3. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Im doing this raining or not xD

4. Rexmond

If you really want to get to that library, then I wouldn't let the rain stop you. :wink:

5. Theodora

Museums are an obvious one. :icon_wink MoMA and the Museum of Natural History have some really cool stuff. You could also look into what shows are around off-broadway and won't be too expensive?

6. Hexagon

Yes, me too.

It occurs to me that if you have a burning desire to see new york, you could always use google street view.

7. Dans le placard

I've never been to New York, but having lived in England most of my life, I don't think you should let the rain stop you from doing stuff outside your hotel room (unless there's a hurricane outside, which I doubt there is). I wouldn't suggest going for a jog round Central Park in the rain, but there are plenty of indoor things you could do in a big city like New York. Museums, indoor markets, malls, theatres, cinemas, restaurants, coffee shops - the list goes on! Go and look on Lonely Planet or Trip Advisor for things that you could possibly do, pull up an umbrella and make a dash for it for the brief periods of time you have to go outside!

#7 Dans le placard, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  8. That Kid

It's not too bad out today, definitely not a bad day for sightseeing.

Just make sure you grab a bagel at some point during your trip, you don't know good bagels unless you've had a New York one.

9. Hiems

I think NYPL is near Manhattan's Chinatown, so you can check that out. There's a lot of stores, restaurants, and bakeries. If you get hungry and are on a tight budget, then you can looks for street vendors, whose food prices are usually cheap. In particular, I love the mini-cake carts. They sell a small bag of hot, fluffy mini-cakes for $1. I always get them on my trips to Chinatown.

10. Femme

Hop a subway uptown and check out The Cloisters museum. It's perfect for a rainy day. Or go see a film at the Angelika Film Center and have a nice coffee or hot chocolate in the lobby. There are so many museums. Get off the Internet and get out there. Also lots of LGBT people do if you can't think if a thing to do, go to a gay bar and look around for a friendly "gay tour guide" to show the out of tower around :wink: