1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hand on the Shoulder

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by xballetxbeautyx, Apr 18, 2008.

1. So my friend told me today that 75% of homosexual relationships start by one person putting their hand on the other person's shoulder. I haven't checked the figure yet, but has anyone heard of or experienced this? ~megan~

PS: She keeps putting her hand on my shoulder now.:icon_wink

2. Zak

Zak

Thats how my relationship started!! I guess it might be a correct statistic....might have to see a couple of websites though

3. justbeingme

omg there is this really hot (straight w/ gf) guy in my seminar and he did that the other day!!

that would be a dream come true if he came out (score one for moi):eusa_danc

4. The girl (the one that kept putting her hand on my shoulder) likes me! (and I like her back... a lot.) So now we're... well, going to a mostly conservative school full of homophobes and what not, plus with us being best friends, it's not really going anywhere... but we're working on that part. :icon_wink I'm happy, though!:eusa_danc ~megan~

5. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I don't know about any statistics (or how you'd find out!), but I'd suspect that something like that is probably true - ie that breaking the physical contact barrier in a non-sexual way usually comes first. I mean, I'd probably do something like that, or an "accidental" non-sexual touch...

Although I'd say eye contact maybe comes before this even.

6. Trumpetplyer23

My straight guy friend does that all the time to other guys. He goes to the well-known homophobes, puts his hand on their shoulder, then tells them the statistic. It's hilarious.

If it's true or not, I don't know. I do agree with ccdd about breaking the physical contact barrier and eye contact.

7. Starlight

Starlight Guest

HaHa I actually do this quite a lot...:roflmao:

8. Defraction

Hmm... I'm gonna have to use this. :grin:

9. Orion

Well it's an intresting fact, I'd never actually thought of that. But I guess a simple toch brakes the physical barrier and the sexual tension (if any) just starts flowing afterwards.

I do believe, however, that way before that eye-contact plays a major part in creating that sexual tension and the physical barrier is creates. So it's still in doubt when and if you can actually define a 'point' in which the relationship starts.

10. Ty

Ty Guest

how the hell do you find something like that out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think its just an urban myth to be honest.

11. Psych!

Psych! Guest

It probably is, but hey, there's nothing wrong with dreaming.

12. panda

Casually puts hand on Psych's shoulder and agrees that there's nothing wrong with dreaming.:astonished:

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you know 94% of people who quote statistics can't back them up? :slight_smile:

Mine didn't. The first time we touched, we hugged. I guess a hand might have been on the shoulder as we went in for the hug, but I don't think that counts.

And even if that statistic is accurate, make sure you notice what it says. It says 75% of homosexual relationships start with a hand on the shoulder. It doesn't say that 75% of hands on the shoulder develop into homosexual relationships. :slight_smile:

Lex

14. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Wow. You sure know how to play with the words. I would have never noticed that.

15. Ugh. She's being weird and fickle. Now she likes some idiotic guy and I don't know if she likes me anymore... =/ I'm gonna put my hand on her shoulder again and see what she does. ~megan~

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So she liked you alot yesterday, but not today? Huh?

Don't rush things. Stay close, stay friends. And don't count on shoulders being your "in". :slight_smile:

Lex

17. Trumpetplyer23

Ironically enough, in my last period class today, I decided to do that to a straight girl I know and she freaked, it was priceless, lol. I told everyone the statistic, and there's this girl that sits behind me in this class. I have a suspiscion that she likes me and she's a lesbian. Anyways, she kept putting her hand on my shoulder after that.

18. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Ha! Go for it :grin:

Any repeated physical (and eye) contact can be a sign of interest I think. Whoops, I've already said that...:eusa_doh:

19. Quitex

Quitex Guest

What happens if someone doens't have a hand... or a shoulder... or both?!
    It is unfair.

20. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm me thinks there's someone me has to try that on... *daydreams*