1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beautiful at a distance?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pessimism, May 29, 2013.

1. pessimism

Am I the only one who is "beautiful at a distance"? It seems that the only people that are attracted to me live in other states, countries, or on the other side of the world.

2. KingdomKeyDK

Definitely not. I have the same feeling.

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This makes me think of something I learned just half-an-hour ago. An interesting thinker explained that it's not happiness that we really want.

He said the following, and I've seen this happen. The man with the mistress whom he claims he wants to be with if only his wife would leave him or otherwise leave his life, suddenly, upon actually losing his wife, loses the mistress also.

My point is: love at a distance is precisely what the distance-lover wants. He or she is excited by the desire that the distance inspires, and when it is too easy, the desire dies.

4. BudderMC

I'm going to show you this from a (hopefully) different perspective.

If you're talking to these people overseas, I'm assuming you're meeting them over the Internet in some fashion. The Internet is built off of anonymity - yes, you can learn a lot through someone's "profile" on any given site (even one more honest like Facebook), but it's still anonymous. Because of the anonymity, people are more free with their thoughts and actions. People subconsciously adopt the mentality that if something goes horribly wrong, they can always just "log off" and then their problem is over. This allows people to tell you they like you with little risk but higher potential reward.

Now, in person, people are less likely to tell you you're attractive. If you're looking for guys to tell you you're attractive, most people (read: most strangers, particularly) won't attempt to have that conversation. In many places, it still isn't safe to be "out", and even where it is safe, it still isn't socially acceptable to walk up to any random person of the same sex and tell them how attractive they are. Unless you're painfully obviously bursting-rainbows "out", people just aren't going to approach you. And that's before you even take into account how shy people can be, gay OR straight.

I don't think it's the case you're only attractive to distant people, but it's more likely the case that distant people are the only ones who tell you you're attractive.