1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Science of Homosexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Juggalo, May 29, 2013.

1. Juggalo

So I recently decided to try and cut through all the wargharbl regarding homosexuality in an attempt to find some science. I would find something here and there, but nothing that wasn't vague as hell. But I was dicking around on a news site I frequent and found this link in the comments section.

What science knows about homosexuality

Seems to sum up an absolute ton of scientific studies over a many year period, along with references and source names. Figured I'd just drop this here. Some of you might be interested.

2. Unsurevirgin

Unsurevirgin Guest

Very good article :slight_smile:

3. Ticklish Fish

subscribing this thread to book mark :slight_smile:

4. justjade

Fascinating. Glad I checked this out.

5. Alexander69

Wow great. I know one day they will find a gay gene. An prove the bible wrong

6. Incognito10

7. BornInTexas

Interesting.

8. Fiddledeedee

Bookmarked. (Well, what passes for bookmarking for me.)

Here's some more links for you guys.

* A study finding that there is chromosomal skewing in mothers of gay men, which means that there'd be some genetic factors and some epigenetic ones.
    * An article about several studies, sadly without naming them, that comments upon the birth order effect and twin studies, concluding we are born gay.
    * A report by the Guardian on a study finding that women related to gay men were more fertile, which again points to a genetic component which gives an evolutionary advantage.
    * A study (really the study, not a report on it) about bred lesbian mice, which found that removing a certain gene caused them to behave like male mice, including sexual interest in other females.

Overall, we are pretty sure that homosexuality is a natural and inbuilt thing, but we're not sure how much of an influence each factor has.

9. EddyG

I've been looking for these kinds of articles, thanks everyone!

10. Lewis

So technically, is being gay something that is not natural? Is it a biological error?

It kinda makes me feel bad that we have no purpose (not that I really want one).

I definitely find the explanation of lack of testosterone exposure feasible.

11. clarkec1

clarkec1 Guest

I've got this science encyclopedia thing and it said that during puberty, people usually become heterosexually attracted to other people. And then it said that some people may become homosexually attracted to other people. It said that it might pass eventually after puberty, or not.

12. Incognito10

I think the medical community deems it a "normal" variation of sexuality; most likely, because it causes no adverse medical effects.