1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things you aren't supposed to buy

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, May 30, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Not as dirty as it sounds. Basically, what happens when you buy something that you aren't supposed to - either something of a sexual nature, or something that people of your gender aren't 'supposed' to use.

I was attempting to buy some eyeliner today. I haven't worn make up since I transitioned, two years ago, but I now feel comfortable enough to just be my (rather gothic) self. It took me three passes to even stop and actively look at the make up display. I've also been completely incapable of buying condoms. Anyone else get this kind of thing? And has anyone ever been called out for buying stuff?

(ps, I did actually buy the eyeliner)

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I find it hard to buy lube or condoms. I can do it...but the circumstances have to be just right. Ideal for me: late at night in a store, when there are few shoppers around. Also I choose clerks whom I hardly know. (Perhaps I would not mind buying from a clerk I do casually know if I built up a history with him or her.)

I know it's stupid...it's 2013.

Although I've noticed many clerks at checkout are uncomfortable with the transaction, too. First time I bought lube, the I got a checker who was a teenage male, and he just cheerfully babbled away (the usual "how are you doing?" blah, blah, blah). Then, he saw the lube. He suddenly shut up, and got an very embarrassed look on his face.

Maybe I'm sadistic, but I now actually choose my cashier to be someone who might be uncomfortable. Your mileage may vary, but I have had very good results with guys who are youngish (teenage to low 20s), and look like they might be just a little socially awkward. They always seem so reassuringly uncomfortable when they come across the lube.

On the other hand, it was a mistake going through the line of the popular, ex high school athlete type. He took one look, and instantly lit up like a Christmas tree on fire. "He's gettin' some ACTION" obviously flashed through his mind.

3. Pain

Pain Guest

I remember when I was little, my favorite toy was the Skydancer. Almost exclusively a 'girls' toy,' and basically a flying Barbie. I didn't care back then, when I was between 4-7, and I wish that they would make a comeback. My dad bought them for me, but later hid them from me because they were 'girly.'

4. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Whenever I buy cosmetics that are marketed for women or at least the commeial always show women. It's not too bad as it isn't makeup more so skin care products. I dread the day I'll have to buy things like condoms or lube, that day will be awkward indeed.

Also back in high school I always felt awkward buying games like Pokemon because everyone would call you out on that. Nowadays with the whole nerd/geek culture being popular, I no longer embarrassed to buy games that would fall into that catagorey.

5. Hiems

If I don't feel like purchasing condoms from a grocery store due to the potential awkwardness /w employees, then I have other options - buy them a supermarket chain that has self-check out, e.g. Wegman's, or go to my university's health center, which hands out free condoms.

Wegman's self-check out machine has an automated voice system and a built-in scale that weigh fruits sold by the pound. It says "weigh your bananas, grapes, etc."... and the voice is quite loud as well. It's a good thing they don't sell condoms in the same way that such fruits are sold, otherwise it would lead to quite an embarrassing situation.

6. DelFelidae

Ok, this might be odd, but frankly I feel weird buying clothes in the men's section of a clothing store. I just suddenly become very aware of my body and this makes me feel really dysphoric...So, I basically can't go shopping without becoming distraught, and I end up buying all my clothes on line.:icon_redf:tears:

7. Hexagon

I can totally get that. I don't think its odd. Reconciling the male and female parts that everyone has can be particularly difficult when you aren't allowed to express the major part of one's identity - female in your case.

8. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If it ever said products names out loud I'd be too embarrassed to buy anything. :lol:

9. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never been in this situation myself.

I buy guys' clothes sometimes for myself (if they happen to be comfortable) but no one seems to notice.

10. justjade

I do get weird looks from people when I shop in the boys' section. I guess, though, that since people see a girl buying them and I live in an area of the country where people start having kids really young, they just assume that I'm buying them for my son. I don't have kids, but if I did have kids, I'd make sure they were with me so they could pick out their own clothes. Anyway, I also buy men's underwear, and I can't say I've ever been called out for it. I know that once I was at Hot Topic, and I was looking for jeans in the guys' section. It's really hard to find my size because I'm a 28x30, so the sales associate asked me if I'd ever tried shopping in the women's section. I don't think she meant anything by that, but that's the closest I've ever been to getting called out. I think sales associates generally know that if they say anything sexist to their customers, they run the risk of getting fired, but customers are a different story. However, most people don't say anything because they don't want to start anything, which is good. I have been told that I'd be cute with makeup or long hair or a tan by coworkers, but it doesn't bother me. What makes me feel weird is buying things for my biologically female body, like bras and feminine hygiene products. Give me boxer briefs any day! Also, when a doctor asks me if I need birth control, my first thought is, "No, of course not, I'm not a woman. I can't get pregnant," but then I have to remember that I do have the capacity to bear children, and it makes me feel rather awkward.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually have a hard time in my mind picturing what something "not meant for me" would be...well outside of "sex-specific" medicine or hygiene products, in which case either the storekeeper I assume will either guess my sex incorrectly or assume I'm buying for someone else.

I was lucky enough to have parents who never specified any particular thing as "belonging" only to one sex and/or gender. It's hard for me to not think ambivalently.

When I'm buying any item, though, I tend to be ruthlessly straightforward such that the employee doesn't really have a chance to much question things. Done and done.

12. photoguy93

I tend to buy certain "girly" stuff, like lip products, shampoos, deodorant, etc. I've never really been bothered by it.
    Once it comes to condoms, though...oh no way. It's so nerve racking for me. Has anyone seen The Golden Girls episode where they buy condoms? It goes through my head whenever I think of buying something similar... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyhlnL0AbmI

Instead, I look for stuff like that on Amazon. Btw, get on and read the reviews for the condoms...it's hysterical!

13. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Photoguy93--that episode is hysterically funny!

Shopping on-line for condoms is tempting... But...I'd cringe at the thought of the paper trail... One advantage of buying in public: it can be a cash transaction. And no one to remember except the cashier. No record except any security video footage.:eek: Hmm...maybe I should think about a disguise...

14. Hexagon

You could try that thing with the infrared lights, so you don't look like you're robbing the place.

15. Foxface

probably any of the girly things I buy. Though it's become ok for me to buy MLP stuff now...go figure

But Sailor Moon stuff, some of my girly anime figures...all of that

Foxface

16. JPC

JPC Guest

When I was younger I used to buy Men's Fitness, I was only like 14 or 15 so I got some funny looks buying them. Of course I only bought them to erm... read all of the interesting articles...

17. Average Joe

^^ I used to buy Men's Health for the same reasons :grin:

18. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh god, until I can pass, buying women's clothes is going to be a freaking nightmare. I'm so shy and I'm a terrible liar, plus I'm so pale that when I blush even a little it's really obvious. Luckily, I'm not that far from passing. I just need to lose a little weight, put on a little makeup, and, oh yeah, buy some women's clothes! I remember one time my ex made me buy condoms (that we never used) and it was so embarrassing. I really didn't want to do that and told her so... :icon_redf

19. Rexmond

This isn't supposedly "naughty" but I understand why the shop owner gave me the look he did.

Because I don't own a creditcard and my family don't let me use theirs to pay for in game currency or membership because of fears of security issues, I have to pay by SMS. So I went into the local corner shop, and the man knows me there, and when I asked for a £30 top up he was like "O: You must talk with a lot of girls". Hehe.

20. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I get uncomfortable when shopping from the men's section. I'm to the point where the actual picking out clothes isn't too bad, but trying them on always makes me very self-conscious because then it's obvious that I'm buying them for myself. However, a part of me really enjoys messing with people's perceptions of me. It was kinda funny this one time when the cashier looked at me and the clothes I was buying and couldn't figure out whether to offer me women's perfume or men's cologne.