1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate crimes and discrimination

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, May 30, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Have you ever been a victim of homophobic or transphobic hate crimes or illegal discrimination?
    Did you report it?
    What was the outcome of reporting it?

Personally, I think I was discriminated against when I was refused a place I'd already been offered in a boarding school after I transitioned. I didn't report it. I've also been subjected to verbal abuse for being thought to be gay (the precise word I used was bisexual), which I think technically might have been illegal, but I wouldn't have reported anyone for speaking anyway.

2. Rexmond

No, but I most likely will if I come out to my parents because my dad is an extreme homophobic person and made hateful and unnecessary comments in regards to homosexuality, and unknowingly about me.

3. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I'm dealing with transphobia at school, inflicted by the staff and some students. I just happened to get into a conflict on Monday, where a girl reported me to the vice principal because she felt "personally violated" that I was in the girls restroom, taking a piss in the stall because I didn't feel like running to the other end of the campus for the handicapped bathroom. Which is discriminatory in itself.

I was basically told that I was permitted from using either gendered bathroom and to only use the handicapped room so I don't violate prissy little cishet people's privacy in the bathroom. I can't even take a fucking piss now without oppression and being denied my own human rights. It's a shit conflict, but I don't care. I'm still using any bathroom I feel like going into if I need to. I'm out of here in four months.

Oh, yeah, I'm also discriminated against every day by my classmates with petty insults. I've been called a dyke, asked personal questions, and have had teachers refuse to address me by the correct pronouns.

4. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

Most people here in Virginia are not too homophobic, but pretty much everyone in my age range has an "Ewwwww" or "You mean happy?" or acts like I have more mental disorders than I do the second I remind them. I have come out a good 6 times now so I don't think that they really remember, or they just think it's gossip when i say it to there dang face. It is casual homophobia, and I do not like it.:bang:

5. Amerigo

Not directly, but my aunt once made an announcement (long story as to how it got to that point) that she did not want any of "them" (homosexuals) in her family. I have a large and very family orientated family, which puts me in a difficult position :S

6. Candace

No, but I choose to avoid talking about my relationship status (I have a boyfriend), since I don't want to start any drama.