1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pride parade questions...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rakkaus, May 30, 2013.

1. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Um, so this weekend there is supposed to be a local Pride event.

I've heard about it at my LGBT center and it gets some news coverage each year. However I haven't been back to my LGBT center in over a week, I haven't gotten to talk to anyone about it, so I'm not really sure if I'm going cuz I'm too anxious, but I was just wondering:

A) Do people usually have to sign up with someone or some organization in order to take part in a Pride parade? Or can you just show up?

B) Would you feel awkward and weird going by yourself to a pride parade? I have nobody to go with, I've felt very lonely lately and have enough problems with social anxiety, I don't want to go and just be reminded of how alone and isolated I am not having anyone to talk to.

C) Do you get dressed up all in rainbows and stuff? As usual I'm fearful of being a victim of homophobic violence if I dressed up as flamboyantly as I'd like to, how do people usually dress?

2. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi Dude, as you know I have just been to Gay Pride near by where I live, the way it worked by me was that my event had a web page telling you about the event, I had the option of paying on line to get in or paying on the day, I decided to pay on the day.

I went there on my own & I queued up, I bought my wristband, put it on & went through the barriers, there were stalls where you could buy Rainbow Flags & other Gay pride stuff, people were also having their faces painted, there was bars open & food stalls, fairground stuff & music shows.

I didn't mind going myself & did speak to the a couple of people there, I was just enjoying the atmosphere too much to worry about being on my own, it was just great to see Gay people holding hands & kissing, see Trans People walking around, you should go dude, you would really enjoy it, it was good to step out of the Straight World I live in & step into a Gay World for the day :slight_smile:

3. Ridiculous

Are you talking about actually being in the parade, or a spectator? Because I can't think of any that would just allow anyone to be in the parade without first signing up in some form, nor can I think of any that wouldn't allow people to just show up to watch.

4. BudderMC

You can definitely just show up to the parade if you want to enjoy the day, but to be "a part" of a float or something, you'd probably need to contact the respective organization.

If you're worried about going alone, is going back to your LGBT center an option? Maybe that way you could find someone who also wants to go - I'm sure somebody else there wants to go to pride. :slight_smile:

5. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Thanks for the responses.

The thing is, this isn't really like a real parade like the NYC LGBT Pride March they have in Manhattan marching down Fifth Avenue (which I'd love to go to but would be even more anxious about going alone to), this is a dinky local thing that I think is actually sponsored by the LGBT center itself. Maybe I'm wrong, but I really doubt there will be many spectators, in the area where this takes place I'd be more worried about homophobes looking for targets.

Maybe I'll pay a visit to the LGBT center today and ask them about all this, seems kinda wasteful to travel all the way there and use two train fares just to ask about this, but I don't have many options I guess since the event is this weekend.

6. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Is it the staten island one?

7. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ya, have you made the trip all the way from the U.K./Ireland to go to it in the past? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No Dude, but it sounds good :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    0. In my area, the answer to that question is no, you do not have to register in advance, provided you're not marching as an organization or a pro-profit business. You should check the website of your local parade to see if the same is true for you.

1. Yes, but I'm going anyway. I'm still going to see if I can get one of my queer feminist friends to go with me.

2. I'm going to dress pretty hardcore gender non-conforming. I'm also going to be armed. Am I worried about heterosexist and cissexist violence being directed against me? Yes, I'm terrified.

10. Hexagon

A) I never get up in time for the actual parade, which is at 12 in my local pride. But I suspect you can just join it.

B) I go by myself. I felt fine. Whether or not you will is subjective.

C) There is a great diversity of people at pride. You certainly wouldn't have any trouble at pride itself, but maybe you would on your way back. I don't know your area. Even if there is a lot of homophobia, chances are you won't have a problem. I walked/bussed home carrying a massive rainbow flag, and no one had a problem with me. But trust me, there is no 'usual' way of dressing.

11. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Ugh, it seems like there's a conspiracy against me going, I was headed off to the LGBT center like 2 hours ago, but I couldn't find my shoes, I was on the floor looking for them for like 10 minutes, then I backed up hard into the sharp corner of my open armoire door, it hit me right where I already had a bruise from fighting with my stepfather, hurt like hell, the brand new white shirt I put on got torn and bloody. After dealing with that, I then had to spend an hour digging out every drawer and cabinet looking for my Metrocard to pay the train fare.

The thing is, I've been so looking forward to going to a Pride event for so long. In my senior year of college (last year), I was in a much more confident and much prouder state of mind, that's when I came out to my mother, I was wearing rainbows and stuff and couldn't wait to go some kind of pride march. Unfortunately last year the circumstances also conspired against me.

Last year SI Pride was held not on the 1st but June 2nd; I remember both because that is my birthday and because it was the exact day I flew to Moscow for the summer to study abroad last year, hence couldn't attend SI Pride, and I was also away from NYC for the whole summer so couldn't take part in NYC's LGBT Pride week either. (I was also one week late for the illegal Moscow Pride parade, which usually ends in trouble and arrests :eek:slight_smile:

After a year of depression and retreat back into the closet, now that I finally have the opportunity to go to one, suddenly I'm overtaken with anxieties and fears and thinking of not even going, and it really pisses me off. :bang:

But I guess I'm off to the LGBT center just to see what they say and how it goes!

Edit: And, on my way out, I just finished spilling red Gatorade all over my second outfit of the day, more clothes ruined and I need to change again, ugh. If there is some god creature out there thinking it's going to stop me from going to Pride with all this, it's wrong. But fml. :tantrum:

#11 Rakkaus, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  12. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Okay, I'm sure at this point nobody is paying attention to the rantings of a lunatic...:astonished:

Thanks for all your answers and advice though, I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:

I went to the LGBT center, it turns out their new social worker just started so I met with him and expressed my concerns about Pride. And so I was asked if I wanted to be a volunteer to help them set up for the festival and set up tables and keep people in order for the parade and even march in it myself, I got a big purple volunteer button. I have to be there like an hour earlier, but at least hopefully this will give me some sense of purpose in being there rather than wondering if I'm just going to be wandering aimlessly.

Anyway, I'll let you all know how it goes, hopefully all of you are going to your Pride events coming up soon too!

13. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good Luck Dude & I hope you have a great day, you deserve it (*hug*)

14. MixedNutz

I've been tithe SI pride parade, it was a good time. Enjoy yourself and make some friends!

15. Candace

I'm planning on going to one of dem pride events by myself. No one will care haha. Just go out and have fun :slight_smile:

16. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Hey, thanks for all the support, I'm at Pride now posting from my phone. Marched in the parade, now there's music, pretty fun. Plus I'm now walking around decked out in 'Free Bradley Manning' signs. :grin:

17. Hexagon

Cool. Enjoy :slight_smile:

18. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Cool that you marched in the parade!
    Glad you got to go to pride. It is kinda fun to go to those events:slight_smile:

B... I did feel awkward & weird about going by myself, before going to my 1st pride festival (I skipped the parade). Once I was there those feelings were completely gone. :slight_smile: Now that you've been did you have the same?

C... Nope, getting dressed up like that wouldn't be my thing LOL . Even if it was I couldn't risk it since I'd still have to get from home to there.....

19. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am so Proud of you right now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride: well done for going, you over came your obstacles & conquered your inner demons, you should feel proud of yourself :thumbsup: :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap