1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any other really shy people on EC?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gibson234, May 31, 2013.

1. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is there anyone else on EC that struggles with extremme shyness?

I'm that kid who sits on his own at the back of the class and doesn't talk to anyone (although no one has ever tried to talk to me (except once he is now one of my best friends)). I have some friends who left school two years ago but thats it. It really sucks but I hope to get over it some what at university ,my life plans extend past social anxiety.

2. Hexagon

Are you sure you want to ask that? This is an internet forum.

Sorry.

Yes, I do experience bad shyness.

3. Colcha

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Gibson,
    I am shy myself, but way out of HS. My daughter, on the other hand, is just like you. She has struggled all through high school with her shyness. Her best friend left her school a few years ago and she felt so alone and constantly has talked about not having any friends. Although, I know she has friends but is not or never would want to be clique material. I commend her for not being fake. She has been seeing a therapist for anxiety for about 2 years and now does take some sort of antidepressant for the anxiety and I can see she has turned a corner. She graduates HS in a week and is so looking forward to college. Hang in there buddy. There are a few moms on here that will take you under their wing. I know I will.

C

4. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I was. I mean, I don't think I ever really had any social anxiety issues until at least puberty. I'd always been a quiet kid, didn't have a lot of friends, but I'd never exactly shied away from people. But it was part embarassment from my voice and hearing, general self esteem issues, and being pulled into homeschooling that kind of added onto general teenage awkwardness. I've been getting better about it now, especially recently since kind of kneading through alot of my social/gender issues.

5. Hefiel

I used to be really shy, nowadays I'm usually shy only if I'm around a group of complete strangers. I don't have as much trouble interacting with smaller groups (despite my trust issues).

I rarely approach people though, usually they approach me instead. I never quite understood why they approach me in the first place for that matter...I've always found it odd since many are usually unsure about approaching me at first (I typically seem very anti-social and cold to people).

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is an online, anonymous support forum. :slight_smile:

Yes. Social anxiety disorder. Extreme avoidance. Ridiculous amounts of internal anxiety related to "am I being a negative influence by simply being around 'people'."

I basically need "permission" to talk to someone in real life. And even then I worry. Constantly, in the back of my mind.

I was bullied into that, though. Back before I had much exposure to my peers, I was just downright quiet. And perfectly fine with it. :dry:

I should note that I am getting better though. And in the extremely rare occurrence when I feel like I can trust someone, I could talk endlessly.

#6 Browncoat, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  7. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm EXTREMELY shy. I'm terrible in social situations. Like I'm probably one of the shyest people ever. :lol:

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am only shy around new people, I tend to observe them first before speaking :slight_smile:

9. FreeFlow9917

Tbh in life yes i am

10. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks for the replies :slight_smile: It nice to see that I'm not the only one in the world. Although I always seem to be the only one sat on my own.

11. Dans le placard

Same here. I'm generally quite sociable by nature, but I can be quite reserved around new people upon first meeting. Once I get to know them, though, they get to know the real me, for better or worse. :lol:

12. freedom200

freedom200 Guest

i used to be shy but now I'm wayy more outgoing i do sit by myself for most classes tho, only cuz i use the seat beside me as a spot for my bag. I just talk across the room to my friends or to wherever they're sitting :slight_smile:

13. Hmm, I generally don't approach people but if they talk to me I have no problems talking with people and making friends.

So I guess yes and no.

14. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been extremely shy in certain settings. I've also always felt like I didn't fit in and was different from everybody. The worst shyness I feel is at an unstructured event like a party or a bar where you have to spontaneously talk to people. Can't do that, hate it, always have. I am most shy with straight men, pitifully so. I'm usually not shy when I'm working and I have a role. I used to teach at a university and speaking in front of large groups is not a problem but small talk and making friends is a big problem. I just want to offer one word of advice from my own experience. It NEVER helped me to force myself to be in situations in which I was anxious and shy. I just got worse. So, I don't do large parties or places with unknown people and if I must, I stick to a comfortable person and have something to drink.

15. Rexmond

Very shy, but someone finds it cute. :slight_smile:

16. Candace

I used to be really shy, since my appearance...well...USED to be...nerdy like, therefore I didn't want to come off as being socially awkward and etc.

I'm just somewhat socially awkward now :grin:

17. Hiems

I'm shy in the sense that I cannot just walk up to strangers and start a conversation. I'm quite different from some of my friends, who are more socially assertive. So if someone approaches me, then I can carry on a conversation, and hopefully that encounter develops into a friendship. That's how I've met most friends and acquaintances. Meh, I'm quite shy >.<

18. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm pretty shy. I used to be terribly awkward and boring, but I've improved a lot over the past year. My face goes extremely read a lot, and I get nervous easily, but it's getting better everyday. I love socializing and being with people so its something I can't afford NOT to get over.

It's great to see I'm not alone, thank God XD

19. Harve

Haha, I was gonna say!

I probably go against the grain on here, but I used to be shy until I was 15 or so. I also seem to end up being friends with lots of introverted guys, as paradoxical as that might sound!

20. RisingSun

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be really shy in high school. I had barely any friends and there were a lot of days where I said absolutely nothing. Luckily I found a few (extroverted) friends in university and being around them slowly helps me get over my shyness.