1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attractive people only date attractive people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Stridenttube, May 31, 2013.

1. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Do attractive people only date attractive people? I guess that's why the young couples I see are generally better looking then the single people.

2. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive seen couples where the one of the partners is hella hot,and the other is like..meh,and then its the time where youre wondering. ''Why?!How?!''.

3. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

But I mean like its a terrible cycle. Everyone wants to date someone who is attractive. And the couples where one isn't attractive will just get cheated on because their partner isn't doing anything for them.

4. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Well attractiveness is relative, a person could be attractive to one person and unattractive to another.

I am always jealous of attractive couples, since I am always alone. :confused:

5. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Alot of couples doing that,and i dont get the reason why someone chooses to date someone that he/she thinks less attractive just to cheat after.Also people nowadays have very high standards which makes relationships impossible since they're trying to find someone god-like and they tend to stay alone because of that.

6. AKTodd

While different societies can have standards of what is considered 'attractive', this is a different animal from 'attraction', meaning the feelings that two (or more I suppose) people can have toward each other. For that matter, different people have individual standards and tastes and ideas about what they consider attractive. These may or may not be in line with what their wider society considers 'attractive'.

Todd

7. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

And I would say it's even worse with gay couples. Usually the attractive ones are the ones who are happier and in relationships.

8. Candace

Long long long, in a far away land, THIS GUY had a crush on a Colombian guy who was reallyyyyyy cuteeeee :grin:....but I found out that he had a partner (yes, he was gay) and I honestly thought the cute Colombian guy was A. drunk B. blind C. paid money D. all of the above. Let's just say his boo-thang was NOT attractive AT ALL.

9. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thats..so true!

10. Stridenttube

Stridenttube Guest

Oh well. Nothing I can do to make myself attractive. I guess that's just another bad thing about being gay in a world where everyone is becoming more superficial with every generation.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Simple, they have a different idea of what is considered attractive than you, or maybe don't even care who is considered 'hot'.

There was a time I wondered the same thing, but now thinking about it, that sounds silly since the majority of us would be completely screwed if everyone else only gave perfect tens the time of day. Of course, your idea of a perfect ten might only clock in as a five for me, and that's what makes people so interesting.

12. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Can't. Edit. Post.

I can't guarantee every guy will find you attractive, but wallowing in self-pity and whining will most definitely turn off potential interests. You could have supermodel looks, but if you only complain and blame others for your situation, it's not going to draw anyone in: it's going to chase them away.

Perhaps confident and motivated people are more likely to put more thought and effort into their appearances? When I'm *not* depressed, it's a lot easier to take showers, work out, buy new clothes, actually go out and speak to people. Your situation might be different, but it's the same concept: love yourself if you expect others to.

Rant: there's just something about a site full of young, healthy, and decent looking men constantly crying over not being ___ enough that vexes me. I get that it's a support site, but come on... you have everything you need for an active love life. Ironically, the older men who you'd expect to be worse off actually appear MORE secure, happy, and balanced. Pick yourself up and get out there, because what you're doing is not hot.

#12 gravechild, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  13. AKTodd

In all fairness, most of the older guys here (and that includes me) have been around the block enough times to gain more perspective and life experience and the confidence (or sheer cussedness) that goes with that.

This is also perhaps another example of the notion that the most important sex organ is the one between your ears.

I've never considered myself particularly attractive. But I just went and put myself out there and got laid pretty much any time I felt the want to do so. My partner pretty much fits the same pattern. Neither of us are going to win any contests for 'hotness' but I think he's very attractive and vice versa and we've been monogamous for longer than some folks here have been alive (now there's a scary thought...). Whether or not anyone else agrees is of no importance.

Todd

14. RainbowMan

Well, what one person finds attractive another could find absolutely hideous. Gravechild hit the nail on the head when he said that you could have supermodel looks, and if you don't have confidence, then you will project that, and the outcome will reflect that.

On the contrary, if you look pretty average like myself, and you have confidence, you'll project THAT, and get results accordingly as AKTodd has said. This is one of those situations where (self) perception is reality.

Now if I could only take my own advice here..... :grin:

15. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You'd be surprised how many times I have seen this on other forums, support or not. Anyways, you don't know how those young people feel about themselves. There is a variety of reasons why someone my not see they're attractive or feel attractive, even someone who is perfectly normal may feel inferior to all the images of perfected people (real or not). There is so much pressure these days to be nice looking and 'healthy' looking, it so easy to feel despair that you can't seem to attain that image despite the work you put in.

As for the OP, I'd say that it isn't true that only attractive people date attractive people. People are attracted to both the physical and mental aspects of a person. Also you never know if that attractive couple you see is truly happy or sad, their backstory, etc.

16. AlamoCity

I haven't dated, but I will tell you that there are guys I find very attractive that people would go "Are you serious? What do you see in them?"

That is different, in my opinion, from "hotness." There are always these guys who are prime examples of the human species and anatomy and are considered "hot" by society. But in my book, there is a subtle difference between "hotness" and "attractiveness." In general, you may want to have a fling with a hot guy, but make a husband out of an attractive one. Attractiveness will also ensure you remain happy in a relationship long after the good looks that drew you into that guy disappear.

17. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are shallow people, and a lot of younger gay guys seem to be particularly shallow. Those folks will choose looks over personality... and discover that their relationships don't work, because the personalities don't mesh, or, worse, because the cute guy *has* no personality, or is a complete asshole, because his looks have always gotten him what he wants. And they repeat the cycle over and over, wondering why their relationships never work.

And then there are the people who choose someone who is appealing, loving, and has a great personality, without regard to looks. Sometimes that someone is also unusually attractive, but sometimes not at all. I know a number of couples (people in late teens/early 20s) where there's a disparity in conventional definition of attractiveness or beauty between the two of them... and it works because both parties are attracted to more than just the shallow aspect of physical appearance.

Another piece to consider, which always seems to be ignored by the shallow folks is... looks fade. And sometimes quickly. So for those who choose looks as the primary factor, when the looks fade, they're left with... not much.

Long and short, there are people, including really attractive people, who will be attracted to others regardless of whether they are conventionally "beautiiful" on the outside or not. If you focus on the person, and not just their appearance, you might be really surprised what you find :slight_smile:

18. Ticklish Fish

what does "no personality" really means?

19. Alexander69

It's not always true one "you" may consider attractive and the other not so but another may consider neither and another the other and so on. I could find someone drop dead gorgeous and you think he is butt ugly.

20. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot tell you how many times I've been rejected because I'm pudgy... It really sucks... :frowning2: