1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bike share is awesome

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowMan, May 31, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

Despite some initial teething pains, some of which I'm still experiencing, the launch of the Citi Bike program in NYC has been a success.

This is the first such program that's been operated entirely with private funds, no taxpayer money involved at all. Unlike other privately funded transportation in NYC (think the ferry system), the prices are actually reasonable, at $95 for an entire year of unlimited rides lasting 45 minutes each.

The teething pains are probably pretty simple and will be worked out in due time - for instance, I've had my key not work and upon calling them I found out that somehow it didn't think that I'd returned the bike and the trip counter just kept going. Now I know to check the website immediately after I return the bike to make sure that it worked appropriately, which it didn't again today.

Then there's the non-technical problem of supply and demand. I think it's going to be really hard to get this right - sometimes you'll go to a station and there won't be any bikes there. And other times, you go to a station, and there's a plethora of bikes, so many in fact that there's no free parking space to park your bike - and in that case you have to go find a nearby station to drop it off. The density of them is high enough that it's not a huge deal, but it can still be somewhat annoying.

Anyone else have a bike share program that they like/hate?

2. starfish

I like the idea. What happens if you need the bike for more than 45 minutes?

3. RainbowMan

They start charging you more - but you can take another bike immediately upon returning one, so really all that you need to do is return it and get a new one.

The density of stations is high enough that will work for 99% of cases. After 45 minutes, you probably want to take a breather anyhow :slight_smile:

4. Fiddledeedee

London has a system of "Boris Bikes", nicknamed after our rather eccentric mayor who rides them. It's a very good system and despite their chunky look they are good bikes which lots of people ride. I haven't had occasion to do so myself, though. Yet.

5. timo

I'm not sure if we have bike share programs in the Netherlands, but really - there's no need for it. Pretty much everyone owns at least one bicycle, and we're probably the only country in the world with more bikes than people :grin:

6. mpac21

Our city is looking to start a bike share program, all that is stopping it is a sponsor to front some financing for a starter system...I think its 25 stations with 250 bicycles

7. smartsunny

in beirut we have something called " Beirut by Bike" people say its pretty cool and mega cheap...unfortunately i dont bike

8. Sabinian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DC has Capital Bikeshare. I've been meaning to try it. Biking to work would be just as fast as taking the metro at rush hour, and I'd get some cardio out of it. It's also gotta be nice that you can bike someplace, meet your friends and not have to awkwardly carry a bike around with you.

9. RainbowMan

Another thing that I like and I've done before is to bike to a bar, and take some other form of transportation home (subway or taxi) without worrying about the bike. You get exercise on the way to the bar, then you drink the calories you just burned, and then you go safely home :grin:

10. UndercoverGypsy

I didn't know Boris Johnson was still around! I used to know his kid :lol:

As for the bike thing, it sounds cool. These things are starting to pop up in so many cities.