1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word "tr***y"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Is this word okay in some situations? I hear it being used a lot by other cis gay guys. They use it so passively. Isn't it a slur?

2. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it is unacceptable to use any sort of slur word (even if you don't mean to harm), unless you are part of that minority and are clearly known as such when you say it. People saying fag, dyke etc. who are not gay, lesbian, or whatever else it is, should not be saying it, and the rule applies here. Even if someone uses the word tranny without intending offence, it isn't like that negates any negative interpretation. Being part of one minority does not allow a person to behave the same way for all minorities.

3. Hexagon

Yes, it is a slur, and no, I don't think cis gay guys should be using it. Or trans gay guys, for that matter. I support the reclaiming of words, but the term tranny isn't generally used against trans men, so I really don't think they should be using it. Its been used to abuse trans women, so IMO, they should be the ones to reclaim it if they so wish.

P.S, perhaps others might not agree with me, but I don't think you need to asterisk it here. I may not agree with most people using it in general terms, but for the purposes of discussing its acceptable usage (or recounting a time when it was misused), I don't think its a problem, and I'm really not a fan of censorship.

4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

It is a slur against AMAB trans* people, especially trans* women. Men (whether cis, trans*, straight, gay, or any other type of queer) really have no place using it; same with cis women and other AFAB people. The only potential exception would be male cross dressers because historically the term was also used against them (I think, but I could be wrong). If a trans* woman says it's use is offensive, go with what she says.

5. Oh okay, basically why I did asterisk thing is because a woman used it and apologized for it, but her apology was criticized because she not asterisk it in the apology (i.e she said "I'm sorry for using the word "tranny.")

6. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah that's definitely a slur and it's geared mostly towards trans* women. There is really no need to use that word. Nobody wants to be picked out as a transsexual because it's just like being told "you're different, and not actually a man/woman." I mean we're trying to go back into society as the people that we are, not be picked out as an entirely different group of people. He shouldn't have used it no matter what the context behind it. It is very hurtful. Words like that and shemale and other things are just.... It's hurtful...

#6 PurpleRain, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, tranny is not acceptable to use. It's a word that abuses my sisters. So fuck no...

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Let me put it this way. If I hear anyone use that word or a term like "shemale" or "guyfag" to refer to a transwoman (or anyone, but especially a woman), I will not only lose all respect for that person but it's a good way to end up on my shit list.

9. Hexagon

Hmm. Well as I said, others may not agree. But really, the word is still being used, regardless of whether it is asterisked or not, and so I would say that in situations when it is appropriate to use it (aka, discussing appropriate usage or recounting misuse, as I said) then there is no point asterisking. A bit like saying fuck. People know what you mean when you say f*ck, so if you intend to use it, say fuck.

10. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, this word is a slur. Makes me feel weird, ostracised and inhuman.

11. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, well, plenty of gay men use terms like 'fish' and 'breeder' passively, too, but it doesn't make those terms any less discriminatory. No one should use it.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems as though it's only used to belittle and denigrate people, so I'd say no, nobody should ever call someone a tranny.

13. Naren

Tranny should not be a slur, but it has been made into one. Also shemale. That one is worse, imo.

14. Valkyrimon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, shemale is pretty horrid. X__X I find trap to be really quite rude as well.

15. someguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope its never acceptable, the only time it would be accpectable is if you are trans* and you call someone that who is okay with it. I only use that word as shorthand for transmission.

16. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

I know i dont like it, it doesn't say who i am as a person, but labels me into one category.
    It's unfair and derogatory to use it in a general manor or in a stereotyping example.
    heard it alot directed towards me even, don't use it.