1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School Prom.... HELP!!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by yahooooo, Apr 19, 2008.

1. yahooooo

yahooooo Guest

so... the end of year ball is coming soon and i think i happen to be the only one in the entire year who isn't ecstatic :dry:

the ball basically sums up everything i dont like about school... everyone judging each other on hair/dresses/makeup/dates .. its all so shallow!! i have never been feminine and haven't worn a dress for years but now i am suddenly expected to but hate the idea... so wot do i do??

wear a dress to conform, feel uncomfortable all evening and have everyone making stupid comments about "OMG she is finally in a dress" which will just make me feel even more uncomfortable and embarrassed:icon_redf

not wear a dress and have everyone bitching about it ... "OMG she is such a man" sort of thing ( this coupled with the no male date, and my lack of intrest in guys making them even more suspicious of my sexuality - which i dont want to tell them yet! ) but at least i would feel comfortable...

just not go and feel like a socal reatard??

its rediculous - i cant stop thinking about how aweful it is going to be which makes everything worse!! its supposed to be the best day of the year but i really am dreading it. ooo maybe im just being over the top...

it just feels like whatever i do i am not going to be happy about it!! so any ideas??

:help:

2. panda

I think you should talk to PirateNinja about her formal where she set a fine example for others to follow.:thumbsup:

3. Defraction

Do you even want to go? People keep saying it'll be the best day of the year, but for me, I doubt it will be. I don't want to go this year because I just can't be bothered. It can be the best day of my life, but I'm sure I'll have better ones.

I don't care if I'd look like a social reject either - but that mainly stems from me not having much of a "social life" to begin with. :grin:

If you're worried about what people think, maybe not going would be the best idea. If you do go, you'll be too paranoid about what people think. You don't want to wear a dress, so you will be uncomfortable. But if you wear something more masculine, you'll get pointed out for it, so you'll feel uncomfortable AND paranoid.

Since mine hasn't arrived yet, I'm sure somebody else will give better advice. :slight_smile:

4. pirateninja

Do you want to go? That is the question.

If you are honestly not bothered about attending, then don't go. If you know you're not going to have fun regardless of going in a dress or tux/suit, then don't.

If you DO want to attend, all I can recommend is going in what YOU feel comfortable in. It's gonna be your night to enjoy, so don't waste it by going in something that you know you don't really want to wear.

As Panda has said, I have mentioned on here at some point (Bloody hell, you must have a good memory :grin:) that I went to my End of year Prom in a tux. And I was the only girl there in a tux. (Incidentally, there is a picture of me in said tux on my profile page).

Funnily enough, I had said to everyone during discussions about promwear 'I am going in a tux', to which they laughed and said 'Yeah, right, you look so much nicer in a dress'. I don't like skirts or dresses anyway and don't wear them outside school (uniform, ugh). Either way, I was going to get really noticed; either for the tux, or for the dress.

But I wanted to feel comfortable, I was going to wear what I wanted to wear because I'd paid for my ticket, I'd paid for my food, and I was going to spend money on something to wear. To hell with anyone's opinions! :grin:

Admittedly, I was out to my closest friends, so my situation was slightly different to yours. Still, that left about 100 people who would be attending the prom that didn't know, so... I dunno.

I did go in my tux, and strangely enough I got complemented a lot by people saying how 'original' and 'brave' I was for going in a tux. I got some snide looks by the homophobic chavs, but they were outnumbered. :grin:

I don't know what your schools like, I don't know what your friends are like, but all I know is that I wore what I wanted to wear and I had an awesome time :grin:

I'm sorry if I sound bragging or something, but the point I'm trying to get to is that sometimes people respect you for being independant, and showing them that you are doing exactly what makes you feel comfortable, regardless of how others think. If they ask, just say 'I felt like wearing it.' or if you really want to try and keep your sexuality under wraps, just say 'I felt like being original'.

Like I've said, it's going to be your night, so do what you need to do to enjoy it as much as possible.

I hope this helps.

EDIT: Picture of me and my friends by our limo.
    [​IMG]
    I was second on the left :grin:

#4 pirateninja, Apr 19, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
  5. Lily

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ah Prom...thats tonight for us actually...but I'm graduated and its a no go. I'm not one for dress' in general I always feel naked in them...and the last fancy dress I wore I kept wishing it was a tux...and I was a maid of honor in a wedding...so that wouldn't have worked.

But for your situation...if you want to go you could always get some dress pants with the really wide legs that look like a skirt and then a cute blouse to go with it and then do your hair and possibly make up...and heels for show for an hour and then straight to the flip flops or bare feet is what I'd recommend...but thats just me.

But that way you can wear pants be comfy and still look good and shut everyone up. Good luck!