1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Differences in identical twins.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by starfish, Jun 1, 2013.

1. starfish

I just ran across this article which discusses why identical twins end up different.

Why do identical twins end up having such different lives? | Science | The Observer

It dosen't go very in depth in the science, but it is interesting.

I have two cousins who are identical twins. It has always amazed me how different their personalities now. I started to notice it when they were about 13 or so. They are now in their mid 20s and lead completely different lives.

2. LD579

Well, I have an identical twin. I don't even need any research to know why twins end up differently. Many compare us and it's annoying. If you're a twin, you likely have to become happy with being your own individual person, which can include being easily recognized as yourself and not your twin. You have to, sometimes, physically differentiate yourself from your twin so that others can easily tell you apart (accessories, hair dye, clothing style...).

Some twins may lead similar lives, and others may lead completely different lives. It's hard to tell whether it is more genuine if they live similarly or differently, as identity issues are common amongst twins.

As for physical features, people look slightly different depending on how they live. Perhaps as a result, me and my twin look slightly different from each other (I eat healthier and my hair is a mess, his is more tidy, his face has more sharp lines...).

Our personalities are different, too, to say the least, heh.

3. AlamoCity

An analogy for this would be that identical twins have a identical blueprints that are given to two different contractors (i.e. the environment, both pre and post-natal) and they are executed very similarly, but each have unique, distinct characteristics. You can tell the two buildings are very similar, but the handiwork of each unique contractor shows through subtle ways.

Even diseases (and I'm not equating homosexuality to a disease) for which we know that there is a strong genetic component are not always exhibited in both parties 100% of the time. According to the American Diabetes Association,
    It baffles me when people say, "There's no proof that homosexuality is genetic because when one identical twin is gay the other isn't always one too." I guess it just shows how many people don't really learn much past Mendelian genetics to realize the vast complexity of our genes, epigenetics, and the role of environmental factors (read: NOT factors such as "overbearing mothers" or other erroneous Freudian theories, but things such as womb hormonal patterns and the like).

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have heard stories of identical twins being separated at birth & one being given up for adoption & growing up separate lives, feeling that something in their lives is missing, then years later when they are adults, finding out the truth & one of the twins then track the other one down & when they meet, they find out they have many things in common with each other & have both taken identical paths in life :slight_smile:

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, this is true. I'm an identical twin, and we are pretty different, yet very similar. We both love the same music, have the same taste in clothes, love doing the same things, etc. But when it comes to differences.... I am a lesbian, and my sister is asexual. We also have slight differences in physical traits. I wear a size 7-7.5 shoe, while she wears an 8-8.5 shoe; my favorite color is purple, and hers is green; she has a slightly deeper voice than me; she is built a tad different than me (I grow more in the chest area, while she grows in the backside, lol).

We are also pretty different when it comes to our personalities. I am an extrovert, and she is an introvert. My sister suffers from social anxiety, while I could care less what anyone thinks. Even though I'm gay, my sister is more androgynous, while I am slightly more feminine. XD

#5 Anthemic, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  6. lsl1995

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I work with identical twins and at first glance, the only way to tell them apart is their haircuts. They're exactly the same height, their faces have the same shape, their voices sound the same, and they both look as if they weigh 50 pounds soaking wet.

Their differences pretty much start personality-wise. Both of them like to drink and party and never keep a girlfriend for very long; they even date the same girls, no kidding. If one of them dates a girl, then you guarantee that within a few weeks the other one will be dating her.

But one of them isn't quite as obnoxious and you can actually hold a mature conversation with him. The other likes to throw things and make rude comments and poke you with pencils and basically act like a 5 year old. Other than that, they're pretty much the same person.

7. Hexagon

I believe the differences between identical twins are epigenetic and environmental.

8. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For a while I wasn't sure if I was identical or not, since my sister and I aren't completely the same. But there's a lot of proof that we are identical. My father said we shared a womb, but I wasn't sure if he was lying, or just didnt remember. But the birth records show that we did share a womb. We also had a condition known as Twin to twin transfusion syndrome. TTTS is a condition where the nutrients that the unborn twins receive are shared unequally between the babies. So basically, I took all of my sister's blood. I was also a womb hog, and I pushed my sister into my mother's sciatic nerve. So when my sister was born (13 minutes before me) she was not breathing and she was blue. They had to rush her to NICU for an emergency blood transfusion. When I was born, I was crying and was a normal color, but we were both born 5 weeks early. So I was also rushed to NICU.

I was finally released after 7 days, and my sister was released after 14 days. What's so weird is that, even though I was a bit larger than my sister after birth, she is now slightly bigger than me (I weigh 119 and she weighs 134). And it's not just weight; it's how she's built. She's a bit, what people like to call, "thick", while I'm not.

We like to joke that I took her blood and her libido, since I'm a lesbian an she's asexual, lmao. My sexual peak never goes below a 6 on a scale of 1-10, while hers never goes above a 3. XD

#8 Anthemic, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013