1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the whole point of censoring language?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AwesomGaytheist, Jun 2, 2013.

1. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was watching "Beyond Scared Straight" earlier, and they bleep out "god" in "goddamn." So it's fine to say "god" and it's fine to say "damn" but you can't say them right after another. Seriously? Like who ever died from hearing an f-bomb on TV. And yeah, I get the whole kid thing, but we were all kids once, and we all learned the f-bomb and what the C-word meant. So were and did our parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and so on.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've always thought the same thing. But, we must keep the children's minds pure...

Blame the religious lobby groups and the FCC. Although, it has gotten better. You used to not even be allowed to say damn on television or radio. Also, on late night, they loosened the requirements. Like you can now say bitch, which you used to not be able to say at all.

I have a feeling that with time, the restrictions will become less and less.

3. Naren

It's pointlessness. So-called bad words do no harm, it's the hurtful things that should be censored.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "S**t, piss, f**k, c***, c*ckcucker, motherf***er, and tits"

-George Carlin

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have to agree. If anything, bleeping just draws more attention to fact that certain language was used.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The point of coarse language is that it adds emphasis by shock. Overusing vulgar language removes the value and just turns speech into unimaginative drivel with a lack of useful words. However, people who censor things for religious purposes are usually trying to control others, not actually prevent swearing.

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Back in the days of radio, Jack Benny and Fred Allen (both comedians) had a running feud. One time the appeared on the same show, as they did from time to time (I think it was Allen's), As I recall, Benny was making some bygones be bygones statement. The exchange, which may not be accurate word for word, was something like this:

Benny: "It's water over the darn!"
    Allen: "Over the darn?"
    Benny: "Yes, Fred, you know how careful we have to be with what we say on radio!"

8. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for posting this... I totally forgot about this... We watched this in my intro to mass comm class...

(For those who don't know..)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbZhpf3sQxQ[/YOUTUBE]

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Note: with the font I'm seeing on my screen, at least, the words above can be a little hard hard to read. The word Benny used was "d a r n".

10. Ridiculous

Me if anyone tells me to stop swearing:

[youtube]lBhPDxszukU[/youtube]

11. mpac21

Just don't see the point of it....from a point of manners and teaching children how to use language I could see why. But the fact of a word being "evil" doesn't click to me....while I know being able not to use cusses to express oneself is a sign of intelligence, from time to time it helps show truly what you feel :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Hexagon

I absolutely hate censorship. Some people seem to think that saying words like fuck will somehow damage people, particularly children. But the thing is, things only become shameful because we believe they are. The words are not inherently bad. If people could recognise them for what they are; words we use to express strong emotion, then they would see that they are completely harmless.

13. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Some people Doesnt like the "Damn" word after their god who they believe and pray to. So theyre just bein sensitive. Just respect

14. Hexagon

Alright, so lets think of a scenario. An educational children's show. The presenter comes on, and says "Hey kids, we're learning a new word today. Fuck. It is something you day when something bad happens. It is also what adults do when they love each other".

Are the children going to roll over dead or scarred for life? No. They are going to learn how to express frustration in a new way. No, its the parents who are going to freak out. They're going to ban the show, tell the children never to say or hear that word, its a very very bad word. So the children get upset when they hear it. Wow, now fuck is a bad word.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because some people are too weak to deal with the realities of language. In an interview with Samuel L. Jackson about Django Unchained, he tried to get his interviewer to say "the N word." He insisted that it was a sound and only had a bad meaning in context, but his interview just would not let it out of his mouth.

It's a horrendously offensive word, but Mr. Jackson's right. We can't be afraid of words; only how we use them.

16. photoguy93

I cannot stand how we censor the words, but not the meaning. So, I could go on national TV and say "I like to suck that thing that rhymes with block" and get away with it, but I can't say the actual word. If a kid is going to be curious, they will be curious anyway. I really love the list of things you can't say that makes no sense, like shit...but you can say bitch.
    Makes no sense. WTFrontdoor.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then I saw it again today. I was watching The Steve Wilkos Show, and apparently you can say "ass" but not any phrase with the word ass in it.

STEVE:"A mother's supposed to love and protect her child. Do you REALLY need me to tell you that?"

GIRL: "no."

STEVE: "Then pull your head out (bleep)!"

18. The only words that I believe people just shouldn't use are ones that are being reclaimed by a minority population because they've been used to shame them, berate them and keep them down by other groups.

Racial slurs, gender slurs, and any words shaming the LGBT+ community should not be used by people other than who those words are being reclaimed by. End of story.

That being said, I generally curse like a fucking sailor.

19. Harve

[​IMG]

Vampires: sinister mythological or undead beings that feed on blood.
    Killer: murderers
    Lesbian: girls that like girls

Guess which word got censored?

20. Juggalo

I swear all the fucking time. I only watch myself around small children and my grandma and crazy religious people. I usually watch my language on forums as well, but I don't here. People using this site have bigger worries than hearing the occasional fuck.