1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaydar Switched On

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dublin Boy, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I went out for my Dinner today with my Parents to a Pub, we walked into the dining area & this Cute guy sitting down with some other people could not keep his eyes off me, he was checking me out, talk about being blatant :icon_redf

We sat down & I noticed another Cute Guy sitting on his own eating his dinner, the waiter went up to him & he was talking to him, now the guy was using his hands whilst speaking & his body language was screaming out "I Am Gay" :slight_smile:

Now lets get to the waiter, he was a Young Cute Guy & I was checking him out Lol
    he handed me a Menu & made a point of brushing his hand against mine :icon_redf
    OMG what's happening to me, I know in that Movie he said "I can see dead people"
    Well since coming out to my Mom, "I can see Gay People" :badgrin: it is like my Gaydar has been switched on :grin:

Is this possible? (*hug*)

2. BornInTexas

I still have yet to receive a gaydar that isn't broken. :eusa_doh: Well... it's more than possible that you were extra vigilant...maybe he was gay. :shrug:

3. GayAndHappylol

Out Status:
    A few people
    Omg youre so lucky (*hug*)
    Yeah telling your mom,maybe was a good way to boost your inside confidence and gave you a different view of things (*hug*)

4. Jordz

Haha, I wish my gaydar would work. I think mines broke :confused:

5. MixedNutz

Absolutely... Before you were probably more worried about people or your mom finding out you're gay. Now that your mom knows you don't have worry about that anymore and you actually can focus your energy in the gaydar.

6. leice

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I wish I could borrow you gaydar. I had no idea how to tell who's gay unless they hold hands. But for girls it's a normal thing. And you probably has a gay magnet too considering how the guys are giving you attention/hints :slight_smile:

7. DanD

Can I be you for a day, DB?
    It sounds like you had an interesting time.:slight_smile:

8. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Dublin Boy

I would like to think of it more like your “Gaydar Jammer” has been switched off. By that I mean that now that you are no-longer worried about revealing your true identity to your mum you are now allowing a visual eye-eye two way handshake between you and the other guy, a bit like a computer or fax modem syncing up if you are old enough to remember the sounds they made.

Once you have made this very fast and probably subconscious connection, less than a few seconds, you know that there is something different about that guy not just that he is cute. This “something different” is what I think of as Gaydar, whereas I think straight people would think Gaydar was purely matching a person to fit the gay stereotype.

If we continue the computer network analogy as we consider a crowd of people with gay folk mixed in with them, I think this “visual handshake” between gay people is like WiFi devices constantly checking who is in range on the network. Once we have made this initial eye contact in a crowd we can see others are target cute guy is also looking at and add them to our network exchanging our visual handshake and periodically checking back to see if they are still around.

Often when I go to a regular fast food restaurant where one of the serving staff is gay he seems to act as the coordinator of these “visual handshakes”, signalling the presence of other gay folk in the restaurant who then pick up on those not initially on their Gaydar. When this happens I get a nice warm feeling, like being a member of a special club.

For those who don’t think they have Gaydar, try sitting is a crowded place and just people watch, but don’t stare, and watch closely who they are looking at. Perhaps you could start with someone who was more stereotypically gay and see who they are looking at, once you have picked up on this you will start to see it everywhere as long as you have switched off your “Gaydar Jammer” and allow yourself to respond to the look.

Word of warning : If you look too long eye-eye at the wrong person you may get thumped, somehow you know instinctively within seconds when you get the right person, but if you get it wrong perhaps have a previously rehearsed excuse like “you look like someone [mention a name] I used to work with /go to school with etc.” Don’t try and make up something on the spot it won’t sound convincing.

Sale Gay Guy

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This does sound plausible :slight_smile:

10. FreeFlow9917

My gaydars off, but all you have to do is check optical reflexes and see who their gawking at to find who their checking out

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think I have gaydar... I could probably see a hot guy, wearing a rainbow bracelet on each arm, and a shirt that says, "I'm GAY!!!!" And still sigh, and think he's probably straight.

12. Techno Kid

Like other people have mentioned it's really a confidence thing when you are out. :slight_smile:
    but I don't think my gaydar is very good... though I sometimes get a "feeling or connection" while talking to someone (might just be based on stereotypes though). :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: