1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Voice In My Head...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BryanM, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so I just wanted to vent a little bit about an issue I've been having for the last few weeks. So, basically what has been happening for the last few weeks is that I could be trying to write for a sports site I write for occasionally, writing for fun, updating my Facebook status, and there's this voice in my head that says to me "That's stupid. This is stupid. Why are you writing this? You should just stop." And it used to be that I would never hear this voice in my head, or when I did hear it, I wouldn't give into it. But lately, I've been giving into this voice in my head, but even as I'm writing this, I'm going against the voice in my head saying this is stupid to be writing this. This voice has also been telling me my past writing works are stupid and trying to tell me to quit writing. I love to write, and I want to pursue a career in writing, but I'm scared that I'll never be good enough to make a living or make an impact on people. I was just wondering if anyone else on here struggles with a voice in their head saying that what they do is stupid and how they deal with it, because right now I'm getting really tired of this crap. :bang:

2. Hexagon

Oh, that voice. When it relates to facebook, its probably true, but not when it comes to your actual writing. That voice has no bearing on reality, truly. I struggled with that voice for a long time. I recently heard a talk by a professional, published writer who said she nearly stopped writing the book that made her famous because of self doubt. That was what convinced me to start writing again, in part.

As for how I deal with that voice, I usually stop writing, delete all my files pertaining to the novel and wallow in self-pity for a few days. Really, don't try it.

3. Magenta Mucus

I love reading and I love writing for recreation and I think you should try to completely deny and drown that voice. I'm sure that you are an amazing writer; people tend to be goodat things they like to do.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is two and a half years old.

5. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bryan must have beaten the voice because he still posts the same old rubbish! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just kidding - I love reading Bryan's posts. I think every writer suffers from self-doubt. I think we have to soldier through it or nothing would ever get written!

I'm locking this thread for now because it is an out of date advice post, but feel free to start a new thread along similar lines, if you want to, fellow writers and self-doubters!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.