1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Situations Where it's difficult to be gay.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kenko, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you ever had any situations in particular where you found it difficult to be gay?

One was at my old part time job. I was a carry out guy at a grocery store. The managers, etc. liked me because I was one of a few employees that showed up on time, actually worked hard, etc.

Anywho, it seemed that most of my fellow carry out co-workers spent all their time eyeing the customers. So they would make comments like "Oh did you see the hot blonde that went by?" I must say my straight-dar is completely non-existent. Once I could figure out who they were talking about, I would find that the woman wasn't really that much better than average looking, or just dressed whorish. I would attempt a quick follow up remark, eg "Oh yeah, look at the size of her chest" but I was really bad at it, and I would quickly try to change the topic.

I never attempted to pick anyone out myself. But it seemed this is what most of my co-workers did all the time.

Eventually my co-workers started getting suspicious and a couple asked if I was gay. :icon_redf Yeah, that's real great. I really just wanted to work my crappy job without sexuality coming into it. One of the people that asked was a co-worker that I (and I know several others) thought was gay. I never asked him if he was, but "acted straight", eg: "Check out the brunette that...". I don't know if it was just a charade like mine. I know if they made comments to others about his sexuality, there were probably making comments to others about mine. :icon_sad:

I tried to convince them that I was straight, because really I didn't want any hassle, but I don't know if I convinced them.

I know I shouldn't really care about what they thought, but when you have to deal with these people every day, it helps to have a good working relationship with them. I guess that's why I liked the early morning shift, where I was the only one working for half of it, then when there was two or more of us, it was really busy and the managers were around, so chatter was kept to a minimum.

Though a funny story, one of the cashiers was a lesbian. I never would have known, but once she came over to me (it was a slow night) and said "Look at the ring I got for my girlfriend!" Oh if only I could be that open.

Any others with similar stories?

2. nauticalnun

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I haven't had something like that happen with me...yet. I'm sure at some point it will, but I guess being attracted to both sexes makes things a bit easier since I can comment on the hot guy that just walked in as well as the hot girl. However, it gets difficult for me when I'm out with my best friend. She knows I'm into women, but we don't talk about it and I avoid making comments because I know that makes her feel awkward. But I have moments where I want to say something like, "Wow, she's gorgeous." but I keep my thoughts to myself. As hard as it is to do that, I try because I don't want that weird tension between us.

3. GuitarGirl1350

It's hard when you're in a situation where you know you're better off not mouthing it. I'm very outspoken so I don't usualy watch my mouth, but in a setting such as a sex ed class where all they preach is straight sex, it's harder. I always feel really....angry...when I leave those classes because it's like they ignore it. They make so much effort go into letting people know how pregnancy happens but they never once delve into how aids is spread easier through anal sex man to mean or how herpes is spread easier through oral lesbian sex. They don't even mention this, or anything you can do to protect yourself. It's almost like they don't care, because they care too much about the straight students. I felt especially angry last year because my teacher refused to discuss it. (Someoen asked and she was like umidunnomovingon.) and the kid asked a different gay sex question and she's like iansweredthat,movingon all fast like. I'm just saying it's difficult when you know that they're catering to them and don't really care to educate on the dangers of gay sex.
    If this made any sense, yay. But it probobly sounds all rambling b.c i'm sick and running on like 3 hours sleep...

4. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    I guess I was pretty lucky in that department. My sex-ed teacher was a lesbian, so we learned all about straight, gay, and lesbian sex, as well as a TON on transexuals and just "alternative" ways of life. We even spent two days on the Trevor project/gay teen suicide. Of course, this one intensely conservative kid's parents took him out of the class. It was fun.

But I totally know what you mean about being ignored and feeling like no one's acknowledging gays, or when people do, it's in a derogatory light. Especially this year, I've really noticed how much I'm forced to be silent about my orientation, and just kind of make awkward eye contact with the people that know. Although it does get fun when your friends who do know say something like "that seemed really gay, so we didn't do it" and you can TOTALLY call them out on it.

I guess my biggest problem is when the government enacts legislation (like it so often does) agains homosexuals, and then I can't really say anything about it, and neither can anyone else for fear of (wrongly) being called gay. Such as when whether or not to ammend the Virginia constitution to define marriage as only between a man and a women, NO ONE talked about it. It NEVER reached the forefront of the November elections and, with its purposefully confusing wording, no one really knew what it was about so, as a result, I can never get married where I grew up. Thanks Virginia, and thank you America, for making this such a tolerant and safe place to call home. :dry:

5. GuitarGirl1350

I totally agree. It's kind of like, we've won battles but we haven't won the war yet. We won New Jersey, Massachusetts, and some others, but the evil despot fighting us just won't give in yet. It's really upsetting to me, and because 99 percent of the time these discriminatory descisions are based upon the leader's religion it angers me. One of the principles of this country is the principle of Seperation of Church and State, so that descisions like this one are not made on religious grounds. If you ask an anti-gay person, at least in my experience, why they are anti-gay, the answer is ALWAYS Jesus or "it's yucky". (Thsoe are the only 2 ansers I've gotten). These are personal opinions that do not have a place in government. I don't feel politicians should make any decisions based on any religion. Religion complicates, and fogs, the lines between personal life/choices/feelings and ethics. (If there are ethics in politics- I think the ethical system consists of money.) Let me also say that I am not anti-religion, I just don't think it has a place in government. They need to realize that the descisions they're making effect all of America and all types of persons therein. I don't think they can realize that, because they're focused on their own lives and opinions.

This is turning to a major rant so I will move onto my next part...

There's very few things in life I love more than being told something I did was gay and saying "Hmm, guess I have an excuse" or something. My brother does it to irrtate me- I asked him a question and eh goes "That was a GAY question!" and I turned around and said "I'm gay so I can ask it!" and we both burst out laughing.

You know what else is fun? Screwing with the straights. I have two friends in particular who's minds I LOVE screwing with- like, making obvious passes on them (even though I don't mean it) and seeing their reactions. One of those friends in particular is cool with me but in general is homophobic. I never get bored grasping her arm or calling her hot just to see the reaction I get...she knows I'm joking around but it still freaks her out...tee hee. I'd tell more of my evil plans but I don't want to seem immature...mwahaha.

#5 GuitarGirl1350, Jan 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2007
  6. suburbs_of_sodom

Screw immaturity, evil plans are fun. And yeah, it's really funny just how much power gays have over straights, and not just with being able to mess with their heads. Two girls making out can gain complete control over a straight guy, and two guys making out can gain complete control over a straight girl. And not only that, but a gay guy can choose to withhold his shopping and decorating talents (sorry, I'm stereotyping) from his girl friends if they...displease...him. Same with lesbians and tools (again, STEREOTYPING, but still...).

I'm not sadistic, I SWEAR.

7. tired_of_lying411

I swear, My mother had twins and one of them was shipped off to the states at birth.... we are like the SAME person, hahahahaha

8. GuitarGirl1350

I know. It's amazing the powers we possess. ^_^
    HAHA STRAIGHTS WE PWN YOU!
    :wink:
    I have several completely striaght friends who go GAGA over gay guys. Also, I'm les, and I love seeing two guys...Most of the boys I know go gaga for lesbians. It's sad.
    As for your stereotypes, that's fine, lol. I do withhold my awesome fixin' stuff skills.
    But ducktape is the only tool you ever need :wink:

9. suburbs_of_sodom

Damn it! So why do I have to be the one in the US? I guess we know which one she loves more :lol:.

Yep, ducktape is kind of amazing...you can pretty much use it for anything, from clothes (if you're daring/hate colors) to roofs to four-square box outlines. Plus, it's shiny.

Now, If you'll excuse me, it's time to go off to weild my immesurable gay power to defeat my most fearsome enemy, the AP US history exam. Maybe I can burn it with the flames of my faggotry...

10. GuitarGirl1350

FLAMES OF FAGGOTRY?!
    lmao I think I just pissed myself laughing!!!!
    and I'm not above duck taping clothes either...

11. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

If only those flames COULD do the AP test for me...

12. step49x

Ha ha, you all took AP classes...

Where is it difficult to be gay? My college. My Christian Reformed- Affiliated college. :dry:

13. GuitarGirl1350

Christian college?! What ever made you decide to go there!!!!!!!???

Sorry, nothingagainst christians, just. christian school? NOT for me.

14. step49x

What made me decide to go to this college? Well, I chose it based on the fact that it had all the programs I wanted.

Oh, and I chose it during my senior year of high school. I actually, seriously started thinking about GLBT issues, came out to my parents, etc., shortly before college started.

Yeah, I've started to think about the idea of transferring to another, any other, that would be more GLBT-accepting. I'm just not too enthusiastic about the whole idea of transferring, right now.

15. GuitarGirl1350

ahhhh. okay...i guess that makes sense. I hope you didn't think I was attacking you!

16. step49x

No worries. Actually, it seems like everyone I've told that to here has responded like that... :lol:

17. Camikila

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    lol. messing with straight people's minds, is fun(!) my straight friend and I often pretend to hit on each other at school and pretend to be dirty dancing...ect and everyone who walks past just sort of either looks twice, gives us a funny look or stares a bit. It's really amusing to see those looks. My other friends sometimes join in on the joke, including my ex bf... and it gets hilarious to hear some of the things the "popular people" say to each-other about it.
    So far I've been asked 2 times if I was going out with my friend, 4 times if I was going back out with my ex bf and 1 time if I was going out with an aquantance who claims to be my best friend-but i have only known her for a month or so and I don't particualarily like-.

Because I'm bi though, I've been asked if I was lesbian... and all I say is... "No... I'm bi.. Does it really matter to you?" or "why do you want to know?" I've also been asked if I was straight... and that surprised me... A lot of people who we call the "popular kids"-the rich, snobby, most well known- assumed I'm lesbian because I had one girlfriend that they ever knew about.. and one of them asked if I was straight. It was rather crazy.(!) :eusa_danc

#17 Camikila, Apr 19, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  18. Zec24

Um. The military.

19. 94nat

At school, cricket & footy. :icon_redf

20. 94nat

I don't mean to quote myself but also a home. This is probably my hardest place!