1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Civil Partnerships for straight people?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Salazar, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Salazar

So the Lords have voted in favour of the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill at its second reading. One of the shady deals the Conservatives and Labour made to ensure the passage of the bill through the Lower House was to hold an immediate consultation of Civil Partnerships for heterosexuals. What are your opinions on this matter?

Personally, I think it's an awful idea. Civil Partnerships are, at best, a second rate substitute for full marriage, and can't see why anyone would want one if they can get married. I would be in favour of complete abolition of Civil Partnerships upon the legalisation of gay marriage. That said, I would be in favour of allowing siblings who have been living together for twelve years property and pension rights, such as those given by marriage or Civil Partnerships, but only upon the legalisation of gay marriage, and not, as some in the opposition have suggested, before or even instead of.

2. Hexagon

Personally, I'd be in favour of the abolition of marriage as a legal thing, and just have civil partnerships. Leave marriage to the religions. Well, I would be if I cared that much. If I wanted to 'marry' a woman, I'd want to do it with a civil partnership.

3. FruitFly

Pretty much that.

I have no problem with civil partnerships, and honestly I think I'd prefer them having the legal partnership as being a civil one, and then marriage being left for those who are actively seeking a religious ceremony. I'm not sure it's a second rate substitute, providing the only difference is the name and the religious affiliation then civil partnership me up.