1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preparing for dorm life.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by theMaverick, Jun 4, 2013.

1. theMaverick

So yeah, y'all know I'm moving into the dorms this fall. At 24. And that I'm freaked out about it.

This is not that thread. This is a simple question.

As far as clothing goes, what should I bring, and how much should I bring?

My university is in North Texas, so winter isn't exactly going to be a harsh one, but I will need a few cold weather items.

I'm starting to get a bit excited about it.

2. Pain

Pain Guest

I'd say take everyday wear, like t-shirts and shorts (if appropriate), jeans, sleepwear, active-wear, khakis, collared shirts, dress shirts, a couple ties, dress pants, a suit jacket, perhaps, underwear, socks, dress socks, and shoes for all occasions.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I second this. Just bring a little bit of everything and you'll be fine.

4. Sarcastic Luck

You might want to look around on the university/college website for the student handbook. Some require a certain dress code for classes. One University that I'm looking is essentially business casual for class.

5. Goodnyte

I know you just asked for clothes and basically what Pain said it true. Here is a list though of everything you may or may not need for dorm life. Some people swear it is useful. I have it saved for future references. The list is long but it covers (almost) everything you need.
    A to Z: What To Bring To College - College Confidential

6. Candace

Bring more clothes than you need. It's better to be safe and sorry. Since you go to school in North Texas (I have a friend at SMU by the way :grin:), then don't bring so much winter apparel.

7. theMaverick

Thanks everyone! You've given me some good info and I definitely have a better idea of what I need now than I did before.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

:eek: This seems so very bizarre to me. Must be the laissez-faire social scene we've got here or something, but I get the impression you could go to class in rags and no one would care; provided you aren't failing.

Mostly wanted to comment on that... but I'd say bring what you have? Or what you can fit, at least. I'd be shocked if any public university required a dress code, but apparently make sure per Luck's note..

9. theMaverick

Yeah I've never heard of a college with a dress code either. I've been on campus several times and it's basically whatever as far as what you can wear.

10. Sarcastic Luck

It's just for classes. I assume that when you're not in class it'll be fine. It's because I'm looking at a program that'll basically put a Dr. in front of my name. It struck me as a bit strange as well, but they're trying to prepare the students for a professional career, I imagine. It's kind of strict. Business casual, men don't have to but are preferred to wear ties, no unnatural hair color, no excessive piercings, visible tattoos must be covered up with either make up or skin colored bandages, etc.

It's not my preferred college, but there's only two in the state that offer the program I want, so I don't have much choice in where I go.

Either way, it's just a good idea to check the handbook to make sure you don't run into anything unexpected.