1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your thoughts on drinking alone? Wrong or right?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sully, Jun 5, 2013.

?

Do you think drinking alone is wrong?

1. Yes, it is wrong.

11.7%
  2. No, it isn't wrong.

73.3%
  3. Unsure.

15.0%
  1. Sully

For the record I'm 19, above the legal drinking age.

For ages, I've wanted to drink alone, my best mate has always thought it was really weird so I've never said anything. My reasons for wanting to drink alone? Because I damn well want to! I like my own company, I'm not trying to drink away problems, I enjoy it! So why the hell not! For these exact reasons I opened a bottle of red tonight, had a glass whilst I cooked, had a glass while I ate, and am having a glass whilst I indulge in whatever grotesque reality television I damn well want to!

So. Is it wrong to drink alone?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I intend to never drink in my life because my family has a history of alcoholism, but I say if you aren't doing it to drink away problems and it's in moderation, I see no problem with it. Just be safe and responsible.

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have often drank on my own :slight_smile:

4. Sully

SAME HERE! YOLO! All jokes aside, although this may be the truth, my up bring has been so, so, so different to those in my family. My father was/is an alchololic, and at a early age 11-12 maybe, he was hosing his drunkard of a mother down of vomit. I have NEVER had to do anything like that, so it doesn't worry me.

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2013 at 08:06 PM ----------

Do you mind if I enquire what your age is Dublin Boy? Your post count is truely terrifying and I've always been curious as to how old you are!

5. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lol, I take the 5th Amendment, :badgrin: just check my profile page (!)

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Generally speaking, drinking alone is usually a sign of a serious problem that either is developing or is already a problem. It's using alcohol to numb, rather than as a "social lubricant." (That argument is bullshit, btw, but that's different discussion.)

It's also really easy for drinking alone occasionally to turn into a regular thing, which is also a big warning sign for alcoholism. Of course, everyone always says "Oh, I'll never let it get to be a problem"... but for the majority of people, it doesn't work out that way.

The fact that you're asking about it indicates that you probably know, whether you admit it or not, that it's a problem. What you choose to do about it is up to you.

7. Sully

I see :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 5th Jun 2013 at 08:33 PM ----------

I respectfully disagree. :slight_smile:

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's nothing wrong with drinking alone, though, you might want to cut back on your quantity a bit, since those glasses seem to be adding up fast...

9. junglejulia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Once in a while it's ok :slight_smile: I love drinking wine while watching a movie.

10. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I have to say gently sipping wine would be the best case of having alchohol, while gulping down large barrels of vodka being the opposite.

11. MrBrightside

I only ever drink alone if im going to a club later and cant make it to a party, or a couple of beers before a party. I havent done so in over a year now.

I think it is important to drink with others so that if you get into difficulties or develop a dependency that others will know and can help.

12. Sully

Haha, don't worry too much! If I'm going out on the town I can drink litres of the stuff :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What about gently sipping vodka?

13. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

That would be part of the better part of the middle.

14. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I guess the only time that drinking alone is not a good idea, is when you are feeling depressed, I have done that, on goes the sad depressing music, followed by the floods of tears & self pity, you wake up the next day feeling twice as Shite :frowning2:

15. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Err, I guess my family gave the impression of the more "stereotypically European" version of drinking - a small subtle quantity per night, merely to enjoy and not to intoxicate? (the reference to Europeans there is just an American anecdote; I know nothing of European drinking habits :lol:slight_smile:

I'll drink alone before attempting to fall asleep, again merely to enjoy the taste (tend to prefer cider or fruity wines) and eventually fall asleep. Hell, I've never been drunk, and due to the anxiety with which I fear ever becoming drunk... I somehow highly doubt I'll ever develop a problem.

I don't generally like "drinking with others" ... because they seem to drink enough to let it effect them, and I don't like - nay I don't want - to get to that point.

So...no, I don't see why you could call "drinking alone" an outright "can't do." Of course my original suggestion was going to be that calling something "right" or "wrong" due to social stigma is rather silly - but then I noted the claim that "it's indicative of a problem." Which makes sense, and I agree can be true, but let's not generalize. :lol:

#15 Browncoat, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  16. Garciano

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me Drinking is a Social thing. I dont drink myself but some of friends do so having a fun time with friends is what it really mean

17. Sully

Of course it's silly but it is a reality. There seems to be so much negativity about drinking alone but in my eyes it's unfounded.

18. Hexagon

It hails from the devil himself! It is pure evil and will taint your soul for all eternity.

Sorry. I just don't think something like this can be described accurately as either wrong or right. More like healthy or unhealthy or whatever.

19. Sully

It simplifies it though. Merely asking do you think there is something intrinsically wrong with it.

20. Hexagon

No. It can sometimes be harmful, but not necessarily.