1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doesn't just about everybody have gaydar?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gaydar seems to have been coined for the ability of the GLBT crowd to recognize other members of that group. However, the way that heterosexuals carry on with observations, comments, and looking for any clue or vibe of who they think is GLBT tells me that just about anyone who is aware of their surroundings and people has it. Whaddya think?

2. JPC

JPC Guest

I'm pretty sure I have a rather strong 'gaydar', but I can attest to the fact that none of the straight people I know have a very strong gaydar as I managed to go undetected for a very long time.

3. Hefiel

Never really been able to put my gaydar to the test, so I don't know about it. I don't think straight people have a gaydar though, they mostly just rely on stereotypes to make their claims.

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

Same here :badgrin:

5. MerBear

am i the only one who thinks gaydar doesn't really exist?
    I mean, maybe it does but i thought, it was something ...that was made up and stamped into the LGBT community

because i know, i do not have it

6. wayne1983

I try to think i have but dont really, unless they tend to be like alan carr:icon_redf

7. If gaydar actually exists, I feel like I've been cheated because I definitely don't have it. It would be really useful if I did.

8. Hexagon

I think everyone has stereotype-dar.

9. FruitFly

What I think exists is the ability to make an assumption based on traits you associate with being gay, as well as paying attention to body language and such.

As friends have frequently commented, I couldn't pick a lesbian out of a lesbian bar on speed dating night. Unless someone is acting in a way that indicates some degree of same-sex attraction I tend not to make assumptions/pick up on any of the seemingly tell tale signs of the sexuality of another; I pay attention to my surroundings, I pick up on emotions, but sexuality? Pfft.

10. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

I believe that there was a scientific study that found that gay guys could guess weather a guy was gay by smelling an article of his clothing with a 70% success rating soooooo......

11. Hexagon

I haven't heard of this. I wonder if they just based it on the fashion sense.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, everyone has a fantastic "gaydar," especially when one can incontrovertibly identify all the queer folks walking around without stopping to ask every single suspect if they are LGBT or not. :thumbsup:

13. wayne1983

Everyone should wear a necklace or something by law with what sexuality you are then that why it would make it simple lol:eusa_danc

14. Bobbybobby99

Bobbybobby99 Guest

:lol: Just Maybe :lol: I do apparently have near-perfect color vision, so :slight_smile:

15. Hexagon

Yeah, a nice round targets for homophobes.

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gaydar is real, and isn't limited to stereotypes (though they have their basis in truth), nor is it limited to straight people.

One of my friends who is totally straight is known in our group as the Gaydar Jedi. He can pick them out 5 years before they come out, and so far his accuracy is 100%.

The people who deny the existence of gaydar are usually the people who are closeted and desperately hoping that others can't figure out they're gay. :slight_smile:

And... for what it's worth, it does seem to develop over time, so if yours sucks, it will probably get better.

17. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting. Same type of criteria with the individuals or totally different, and were they obvious or really stealth?

18. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My gaydar sucks unless the person makes it very obvious. (Rainbow bracelet, things like that)

19. Hexagon

That isn't gaydar, thats sight :slight_smile:

Mine sucks too.

20. evora

I think I have it. I'm not saying I can tell with every single gay person but when I can, I'm probably right. Unfortunately, it's mainly gay men I see a lot and not women.
    I don't think it's based on stereotypes though. Whenever I see a gay person, I get this feeling that something is different about them (except when it comes to women). I never base it on what they're wearing.