1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need your opinons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by skyfalls, Jun 5, 2013.

1. skyfalls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hope it is ok to post and ask for the help of the people who come here
    OK so I have never been comfortable with those who tell "gay" jokes and will speak up with out batting an eye. So I often hear it is ok for those who are gay to exchange those kinds of jokes on places like facebook they often us Ellen as saying it is ok for gays to make those kinds of jokes to each other. But if someone isn't out totally out (they are to their close friends) is it ok to make those kinds of jokes. I think it makes them look homophobic to all the people who don't know and invites others who are to continue with that kind of nastyness. But to be fair I thought I would ask those who would be hurt the most by something. Should I keep my mouth shut about saying that those kinds of things are not ok. I would never disclose someones private info no matter what but would like to have some guidence in deal with this. I am not looking to get into a fight but people use the same argument for everything it is ok for me cause I have such and such but don't really want people to know. Help!

2. Hefiel

I don't think it's as bad for LGBT people to tell 'gay jokes', because it's easier to tell that the person is just trying to "respectfully" make people laugh. As far as non-LGBT people telling gay jokes, I think it depends on the joke and the circumstances. Often it may serve to further negative stereotypes or make fun of a group or person.

It's a bit like the word "nigger". If people of any other ethnicity or race uses it, there's generally not a very positive connotation associated with it, but when African-American use it, it's not typically in a negative manner, albeit the usage is reserved mostly towards "street/gang talk" which I'm not too fond of.

3. skyfalls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks for the reply and I agree when I know people who are openly gay telling jokes to each other it seems different than someone who is not in the open it feels like it some how makes to keep the problems going. And is that not easy when you get called out for telling and joke that is under any other view wrong and easy out by saying I am gay just not out don't tell anyone.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Truth be told, I've never heard a truly hostile gay joke. Crude, misinformed, and exaggerated yes, but it's all in good fun. They don't imply that gays are lesser humans because of their preference.

^^DISCLAIMER: If anyone has a joke that defies my testimony here, I'd be open to getting it in a wall message/PM if it's too inappropriate/off-topic to post.